Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a dark and stormy night, sub-zero, heavy snow and blowing hard. My fan belt broke on the MT and by the time I knew it she was blowing steam. I shut her off but after a mourning period I find her frozen up. I put penetrating oil in the cylinders. Should I try to break her free or just start the rebuild? I don't want to cause more damage. Thx

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
I believe I would oil the cylinders and within reasonable amount of force, try to free it up. After freeing it up, I would do a compression test to verify the rings are ok. Make sure you don't have water in the cylinders from a cracked head or blown gasket as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Very likely the pistons are scored. I've seen it first hand on more than one 2 cylinder. Probably time to pull the head.

Reactions: sourpwr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I would oil the cylinders and within reasonable amount of force, try to free it up. After freeing it up, I would do a compression test to verify the rings are ok. Make sure you don't have water in the cylinders from a cracked head or blown gasket as well.
Just so I'm sure describe what you mean by "with a reasonable amount of force, try to free it up." Would that include pulling it and popping the clutch or some sort of bar on the front of the crankshaft pulley? Thx

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Just so I'm sure describe what you mean by "with a reasonable amount of force, try to free it up." Would that include pulling it and popping the clutch or some sort of bar on the front of the crankshaft pulley? Thx
I'm not a fan of using unknown amounts of instant force by popping the clutch. A lot more damage could be incurred that way. I would use a breaker bar on the crankshaft or another similar method. If that doesn't work and all other investigations we talked about earlier failed, I'd be pulling the engine apart. But that's just me. I could never be lucky enough to free up a motor stuck that hard to run good again without a rebuild.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
sour,

I have a few questions. Your location shows as Michigan. Was this a recent event you are describing, and did you let the tractor sit long enough to completely cool (like a day or two)? Also, is the tractor in a heated building, or unheated shed (or outside for that matter)?

The reason I ask is because the MT is a thermo-siphon cooling system, with no water pump. I used to have a Model 40, and even in the summer with me working it hard mowing, the radiator barely warmed up and the temp gauge never moved. I would think in cold Michigan weather you could almost run indefinitely without a fan running. Are you sure something else isn't causing the engine to be stuck? Could some water have gotten in the engine somehow and froze? Is the battery dead?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sour,

I have a few questions. Your location shows as Michigan. Was this a recent event you are describing, and did you let the tractor sit long enough to completely cool (like a day or two)? Also, is the tractor in a heated building, or unheated shed (or outside for that matter)?

The reason I ask is because the MT is a thermo-siphon cooling system, with no water pump. I used to have a Model 40, and even in the summer with me working it hard mowing, the radiator barely warmed up and the temp gauge never moved. I would think in cold Michigan weather you could almost run indefinitely without a fan running. Are you sure something else isn't causing the engine to be stuck? Could some water have gotten in the engine somehow and froze? Is the battery dead?
Tractor cooled for a week outside under a tarp. My MT temp gauge always shows almost hot but I've read Mr. Thinker in Green mag that they all do. Tractor was running when I shut it off but it was blowing straight steam behind the radiator , I asumed from some overflow but I didn't look for sure. Proper anti-freeze used (no freeze in engine) and the battery is up full. Thx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check how much coolant is still in the radiator and check the dipstick for amount of oil and coolant. I'll report back

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hope any damage is minimal.

I'm almost NOT looking forward to tearing down the engine on a 720 diesel. Antifreeze in oil. Yikes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts