Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to use my Front Loader Bucket but it had filled up with water and then froze solid.
I was looking for a way in 0 degree weather to get it out of there when I remembered that I had bought
a propane burner for a different purpose back in the fall, the kind they use to heat up tarvia. It boasted
up to 500,000 BTU and I believe it. I had the ice melted and the bucket heated up enough to dump the large
chunk of ice in about 10 minutes. Just thought I would post in case someone else runs into this.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hiya,

Last time that happened here I used a 4LB dead blow soft face mallet, took 3 swings and the iceberg fell out in a few pieces.

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
I just got done digging my snowblower out of a snowbank so I could use it for tomorrow's storm. Took me 30 minutes with a heat gun to melt enough ice off of it to get the chute to rotate again. I should remember to cover the dang thing up in the fall before the snow flies.

I have one of those weed burning torches. I guess I could dig it out of the shed just in case I need it.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
I just got done digging my snowblower out of a snowbank so I could use it for tomorrow's storm. Took me 30 minutes with a heat gun to melt enough ice off of it to get the chute to rotate again. I should remember to cover the dang thing up in the fall before the snow flies.

I have one of those weed burning torches. I guess I could dig it out of the shed just in case I need it.[/QUOTE]
:lolol:-i watched the same thing happen on the tv show-Alaska the last frontier show-just a couple of Sundays ago.

they elt everything sit outside-they worked there butts off to get it unfast.:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
:lolol:-i watched the same thing happen on the tv show-Alaska the last frontier show-just a couple of Sundays ago.

they elt everything sit outside-they worked there butts off to get it unfast.:laugh:
Which is kinda weird because every single person on that show is a millionaire! If they can't afford a nice big barn to store all their stuff in, who can? :laugh:

I have all my implements stacked on pallets so they don't get frozen to the ground and I usually use huge plastic bags to cover as much of them as I can. some day when I'm rich and famous I'll have a huge barn to store everything in.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
Which is kinda weird because every single person on that show is a millionaire! If they can't afford a nice big barn to store all their stuff in, who can? :laugh:

I have all my implements stacked on pallets so they don't get frozen to the ground and I usually use huge plastic bags to cover as much of them as I can. some day when I'm rich and famous I'll have a huge barn to store everything in.
:dunno:for yrs we figured Otto had no power to his house--then one episode the filming crew kinda left it slip--and i seen electric wires running in the back ground. i was so happy i had seen them wires--:yahoo:
also could never figure out how he got all that stuff he had, by just raising beef cattle and selling the meat. just this yr., they showed where he had had a welding and milling shop before. that was on the episode when they fixed the propeller on his barge.

so yeah-i think he and the rest are worth more than they let on. just like the little creek where they pan some gold out. Otto's brother said can't let no one know where our secret stash of gold might be at.:laugh: i still like the show-oh. no shoot em up robbers, or stuff like that on it. so it's still pretty high on my list.:lol:

:hide: p.s.--maybe he can't afford to build a nice barn-he's been married i think 3 times now, 2 for sure--when they said that on that show i just couldn't hear quite right what he said. and -oh-the Christmas special is inside a new barn.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:dunno:for yrs we figured Otto had no power to his house--then one episode the filming crew kinda left it slip--and i seen electric wires running in the back ground. i was so happy i had seen them wires--:yahoo:
also could never figure out how he got all that stuff he had, by just raising beef cattle and selling the meat. just this yr., they showed where he had had a welding and milling shop before. that was on the episode when they fixed the propeller on his barge.

so yeah-i think he and the rest are worth more than they let on. just like the little creek where they pan some gold out. Otto's brother said can't let no one know where our secret stash of gold might be at.:laugh: i still like the show-oh. no shoot em up robbers, or stuff like that on it. so it's still pretty high on my list.:lol:

:hide: p.s.--maybe he can't afford to build a nice barn-he's been married i think 3 times now, 2 for sure--when they said that on that show i just couldn't hear quite right what he said. and -oh-the Christmas special is inside a new barn.:laugh:
Everything is extremely expensive in Alaska. Also once you buy it, depending on where you live it doesn't exactly get delivered to your house. They look like they are somewhat remote on that show so...I am sure it's a lot of trips to/from where ever they would pick it up from. Plus being primitive makes for good ratings... A good book to read on Alaska is Walter Borneman's book Alaska. It really describes the challenges of living up there as it goes through the history of the region.

Lot's of people store tractor stuff outside, even up there. You have to remember we are on extreme end of tractor owners. We tend to over maintain our equipment either through our maintenance or storage of it. Right now my stuff is outside because I am in the process of building a shop. Even when I finish it some of my stuff will still sit outside. I do have most of my stuff on pallets as opposed to bare ground though to keep it out of the dirt/moisture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes the best cure is preventive maintenance. I dumped the water out of mine before it become a solid.:bigbeer:
I normally don't leave my bucket turned up to collect water but it was detached from the tractor while my snowblower was attached and ended up in that position. We had one day of heavy rain and then it has been cold ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have one of those weed burning torches. I guess I could dig it out of the shed just in case I need it.
You might want to be careful around the bottom of the chute since it may have grease around it. Wouldn't want you to catch it on fire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts