Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I responded to Post #11 in the thread https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/land-ownership-landscaping-lawn-care-gardening/182518-need-suggestions-garage-floods-spring-due-snow-melt.html regarding the use of heat cable, the roof and gutter stuff, in a floor drain. Then followed up in post #14. Just to follow up without further thread hijacking, the heat cable is working. The end of the floor drain was finally exposed from being buried in snow the last 6 weeks so I could peak in. Yesterday, as the snowblower melted off, the water was trickling into the floor drain, but none seemed to be coming out. Today, I poured 4 gallons of water into the floor drain and filled it up. Plugged in the heat cable and 6 minutes later water was coming out the end.

Here are a couple of photos. I put a little d-Con inside to feed the insulation chewing rodents so they didn't need to chew on the wires. The cap in end of the PVC has lots of holes drilled to keep rodents from moving in, yet allow the water to come out. It is NOT glued on, so it'll slip off if we ever need to clean it out or pull in another heat cable.

P3151287.JPG . . . . P3151286.JPG

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good to know! I'll be installing some heat cable in my floor drain next fall :bigthumb:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just curious, but what is the other pipe in there for? (Looks like a 2 inch galvanized pipe making a 180 degree bend :dunno:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious, but what is the other pipe in there for? (Looks like a 2 inch galvanized pipe making a 180 degree bend :dunno:)
From the post I referenced, that's an aluminum tank from a propane water heater from an RV. The propane burner went in one end of that pipe and the exhaust out the other. I just left it in there so there would be no more holes to fill. I could have cut the stub end off but it'll be out of sight if we ever get done with the project.

·
Registered
268 Posts
From the post I referenced, that's an aluminum tank from a propane water heater from an RV. The propane burner went in one end of that pipe and the exhaust out the other. I just left it in there so there would be no more holes to fill. I could have cut the stub end off but it'll be out of sight if we ever get done with the project.
Got it :bigbeer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts