Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week it was just above freezing and I needed to do some dirt work to prep for a cement slab. It was pretty wet/muddy, and then with the clay soil at just above freezing, it was... crazy. I even put my chains on my tires which really helped me gain traction, but something happened. I noticed my levers were getting jammed. And I saw that mud was being squeezed up through the lever slots (like the PTO and H/L range lever especially).

And now it's below freezing and it's all FROZEN mud, hard as a rock, jammed up into everywhere. My brake pedal won't even move, I have to break free my H/L lever every time I use it etc.... It's like my tractor fell in a vat of cement that hardened up into every crevice, and I can't just remove chunks etc.

Do you have any tips on how to get all of this out? Am I going to have to remove most of my plastic pieces around the levers and remove wheels and everything and somehow chisel it all out? I'm trying to warm it up in the garage now, but I'm afraid it'll just turn into a playdough consistency and still be a PAIN to try and get out of anything :(

I've attached some pics... bonus pic included!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
After running a dozer in the woods in mud in freezing weather I got in the habit of cleaning any mud off at the end of the day so it wouldn’t freeze overnight.

Get the tractor warm first and foremost - point a torpedo heater at it or something. Then it’s just a lot of hand work with trowels, screwdrivers, and stuff like that. You likely will have to remove panels, fenders, and other stuff - no way around it.

Next time a good pressure washing when done at the end of the day will go a long way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I actually did try to power wash it. But 40~deg water, on 35~deg thick clay mud did almost nothing! I also ran out of time as it was getting too late and had to come inside. It was already oozed up through all the lever slots and everything at that point, so I honestly didn't even have access to power wash a lot of it.

I guess I will be removing all the wheels and a lot of fenders/panels etc today! Seems odd that it came all the way up through the panel that surrounds all the levers and stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'd try pressure washing it with hot water, or rent a steam cleaner ... That would work for sure ...

G

·
Registered
336 Posts
Curious ... In your last picture ... Why are you holding your garage door opening up with your ROPS ?? ... :unknown:

Was that a OOPS! moment? ... :banghead:

G

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I was thinking about somehow power washing with hot water... but not sure how to get that hooked up... My water heater is in basement across from garage area, and I don't have a hot water hookup anywhere else. Actually my washer is right there, I wonder if it's fitting is the same as a garden hose....

And yes, my garage was starting to lean so I thought I'd give it some extra support! :lol:

My wife comes out and I tell her "Don't worry. EVERY SINGLE GUY on this forum has done this, to every single garage door on their property, MULTIPLE times!!" Hahaha :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about somehow power washing with hot water... but not sure how to get that hooked up... My water heater is in basement across from garage area, and I don't have a hot water hookup anywhere else. Actually my washer is right there, I wonder if it's fitting is the same as a garden hose....

And yes, my garage was starting to lean so I thought I'd give it some extra support! :lol:

My wife comes out and I tell her "Don't worry. EVERY SINGLE GUY on this forum has done this, to every single garage door on their property, MULTIPLE times!!" Hahaha :laugh::laugh:
Washing machine hook ups are the same as garden hose. You still might need that after you remove everything - then power wash with hot water. You will never get all the mud out of the small places by hand.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve had the internal chains break on my tracked skid steer break many many times... and to remove the tracks you have to loosen the tension on rear sprocket. Of course it’s always packed with rock hard dirt. Anyways a screwdriver, pry bar and putty knife are always needed. If you can trailer it to a car wash after they use hot water and you can leave the mess there rather than mud and ice on the driveway

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
I’ve had the internal chains break on my tracked skid steer break many many times... and to remove the tracks you have to loosen the tension on rear sprocket. Of course it’s always packed with rock hard dirt. Anyways a screwdriver, pry bar and putty knife are always needed. If you can trailer it to a car wash after they use hot water and you can leave the mess there rather than mud and ice on the driveway
That sure brings back memories. Three motocross bikes on the trailer and we would ALWAYS stop at a car wash to clean everything up on the way home after a race. I swear sometimes we left behind enough dirt and mud to construct a new race track. :)

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

Depending on how hot you have the hot water heater set, you may not want to just hook up directly to the hot water line. It might be hot enough to affect some of the plastic or rubber parts. You could also end up splashing some on you. I know when I wash my tractor I end up wearing a lot of it.

It may be easier to get one of those adapters that connects a sink faucet to a garden hose. Here's one I found on Amazon, but I think most hardware stores would have one. Using this adapter, you can set the water temperature to as warm as you like using the sink faucet without getting into the risky temperatures.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Yep, I took my new CJ-5 through a mud bog...ONCE...In the summer. Lesson learned. When the mud started going places it wasn't supposed to I'd have quit right there and started cleaning. Hot water, pressure washer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts

I hate to disagree with you.......but not EVERYONE.......But pretty close. I am sure had I kept the ROPS on the tractor, I would have eventually joined the club. Instead, the cab replaces the ROPS and it clears the door, so fortunately that is no longer a possibility.

But it always seems when you are having one of those days, and clearly you are, it keeps coming down so hard you want to be wearing a hat........

Hot water and a lot of patience are in your future.

As someone else suggested, you might be able to rent a power washer with a heater built in to steam clean it.

Be real careful about getting things wet which don't like water., like dashes, electrical harnesses. electrical components like alternators and starters. Otherwise, a massively inconvenient project could become a very expensive repair and you don't need that.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
My boss was in a hurry to plant corn . It was too wet . Plugged that JD planter openers full of mud , what a MESS .
My boss was in a hurry to plant corn . It was too wet . Plugged that JD planter openers full of mud , what a MESS .
The fact your boss did it twice and even minutes apart tells us he was in a real hurry..:laugh::lol:.....Just kidding, of course. Somehow you were able to double post 6 minutes apart. I have gotten messages in the past telling me I was trying to post a duplicate of something I had already posted, but that must be within the first minute or two of when the original is posted.
Hey, it happens........

Most of the car washes here would have a fit with the mud .
Yea, I have followed people who had used a coin car wash and left so much mud, I had to spend $3 in quarters to clean the bay before I would drive my vehicle into it. It doesn't take long and they have to shovel the drains out and it becomes a real mess for them to deal with. Mud is one of the worst things to "clean up" as the job seems to keep going and going............

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The fact your boss did it twice and even minutes apart tells us he was in a real hurry..:laugh::lol:.....Just kidding, of course. Somehow you were able to double post 6 minutes apart. I have gotten messages in the past telling me I was trying to post a duplicate of something I had already posted, but that must be within the first minute or two of when the original is posted.
Hey, it happens........

Yea, I have followed people who had used a coin car wash and left so much mud, I had to spend $3 in quarters to clean the bay before I would drive my vehicle into it. It doesn't take long and they have to shovel the drains out and it becomes a real mess for them to deal with. Mud is one of the worst things to "clean up" as the job seems to keep going and going............

I recently had to drive my tractor to town to clean it up. We had two car washes, but one of them closed down. It was the closest one, but was not all that great. The remaining car wash is a good one and takes credit cards, which makes it a lot easier, but is not cheap. After I got done cleaning all the mud off my tractor and finish mower, I drove the tractor out of the stall and begin the messy task of cleaning up the stall, including the walls. Cost me another $5 or so as the credit card charge was still running. The down side is that I had to drive all the way through town to the other side to get to it. I was getting ready to take the finish mower off the tractor for the winter and could not leave it the way it was after nearly getting stuck not long before that. Lot's of mud!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
Yep, I took my new CJ-5 through a mud bog...ONCE...In the summer. Lesson learned. When the mud started going places it wasn't supposed to I'd have quit right there and started cleaning. Hot water, pressure washer. Good luck.
My brother did the same thing with his pick-up. It was all fun and games until cleanup time came. He said NEVER AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Most of the car washes here would have a fit with the mud .
How many blood blisters did you get cleaning them. I am guessing more than one.:laugh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got it all cleaned out.... took off all four wheels and went to town with a screwdriver and my hands. It had a lot of gravel in it... made it 10x more fun to come out!

You won't believe how much came out just from being packed onto axles and up inside fender/panels.

Bonus pics showing what made my get so muddy in the first place. Even the cement truck had some fun!!!! :lol::laugh::mocking:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts