Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
As much as I'd love to have a 260 backhoe, 7k is certainly not in the budget, nor will it be any time soon.
So, I built this boom and bucket, borrowed the hydraulic cylinder off my grapple and viola.
Actually works better than I expected. Clearly it is much slower than a backhoe without having the swing function, but gets the job done!

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/jl-hZ4TBq-8

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Pretty cool idea. I like your ingenuity. :thumbup1gif:

I would be concerned with any heavy work though as the loader curl cylinders and other components may not care for that leverage. :unknown:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
As much as I'd love to have a 260 backhoe, 7k is certainly not in the budget, nor will it be any time soon.
So, I built this boom and bucket, borrowed the hydraulic cylinder off my grapple and viola.
Actually works better than I expected. Clearly it is much slower than a backhoe without having the swing function, but gets the job done!

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/jl-hZ4TBq-8[/URL [MEDIA=youtube]jl-hZ4TBq-8[/MEDIA][/QUOTE] Great engineering! Looks like you can use a bigger bucket too

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty cool idea. I like your ingenuity. :thumbup1gif:

I would be concerned with any heavy work though as the loader curl cylinders and other components may not care for that leverage. :unknown:
That was certainly a big concern of mine, which is why I didn't go larger than a 12 inch bucket.

After using it to dig out some rocks that are too heavy for the loader to do anything but roll around, I feel pretty good about it not stressing the loader frame too badly.

I only run the rpm just off idle to accomplish efficient digging.
Digging with the 53" bucket is much, MUCH harder on the tractor lol

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
That is cool. Nice job. I watched the video after I read the comments and was thinking what the hell is this going to look and work like. After watching it I really like it. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do !!!! Nice job , way to get out of the box !!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
That's pretty cool!!

Would you mind posting (more than) a few pics? I'm sure there are a few guys on here that might like to steal your idea! :thumbup1gif:
X2. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Really neat idea.

Can you see the bucket while you are operating?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like it and a nice design but for $7000. I think I would add another $3000 and get the backhoe instead. That just me thinkg out loud.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really neat idea.

Can you see the bucket while you are operating?
The bucket assembly can slide the full length of the frame, so that I can dig tight to a structure. It's nearly perfect sight of the bucket when it is at either side, if it's in the middle you lose it behind the hood.

I like it and a nice design but for $7000. I think I would add another $3000 and get the backhoe instead. That just me thinkg out loud.
The 260 backhoe with subframe and rear hydraulics I estimate is likely around 7k, it's actually probably more after tax/frieght /canadian dollar lol

This set up cost me nothing, I had everything on hand.

I don't have too many pictures of the process. But if anyone has questions please feel free to ask.

This picture below, is still prior to paint and making some 1" pins for the bucket.
Yes, those are the anti-scalp wheels off my mower deck.

20171003_124521.jpg

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Did you weld up the bucket too?

What's the purpose of the anti-scalp wheels?

That thing is too cool and so simple in its execution!! I'll be interested to hear how it works long term.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great Job the whole forum will be awaiting further info :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Did you weld up the bucket too?

What's the purpose of the anti-scalp wheels?

That thing is too cool and so simple in its execution!! I'll be interested to hear how it works long term.

It looks like the anti scalp wheels happened to be on 1" pins so he used them for testing.:bigthumb:

I still think that is very cool.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP:

Put some sort of landing gear or stabilizer feet. Otherwise, you're going to destroy your front axle in short order. That's a bunch of extra leverage on the already-questionable loader arms. :greentractorride:
I do appriciate your concern, however, I feel that digging with the loader is 10 times harder on everything than this bucket could ever be.

I honestly don't have plans to use this more than a couple time a year... I wanted to dig up around my foundation, that is why I built it.

I will certainly keep an eye on any major stressing, but even hooking onto a big root or rock doesn't seem to even squat the front tires.

Yes I built the bucket from scratch
I'll get some pictures after I knock some snow off of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great job and thanks for sharing!!

I have a degree in physics and grew up farming. My uncle has a saying you drag metal through dirt and you break things.... truer words couldn’t be spoken about tractor work. Having said that your design looks solid and used with moderate caution this setup will serve you well.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a couple of pictures
This is a different cylinder from the video, has the extra stroke that I need but it's a 3" bore, so it's slower. But again, it was free so I gave it a shot

20171121_135135.jpg

20171121_135125.jpg

20171120_192042.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts