Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021. 1025R w 120R loader. 60 inch mid mower
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brought my tractor home there was .2 hours on the clock. Dealer filled the tank at purchase. I know have 7.4 hours and am on empty by the fuel gage. I estimate 5 of the hours were mowing and the rest of the hours were various tasks. Mostly loader work. I’ll probably never try to track fuel economy on a tractor but am curious if anyone keeps up with their fuel usage for tracking gallons per hour? Would it be useful for any reason?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I don’t track it on paper but about a gallon per average is close to usual if doing different things. If I’m tilling or working the PTO hard it uses a lot more fuel. It can be useful to know if I need to get more diesel before I start something I won’t be able to finish without refueling once or twice.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,084 Posts
I estimate 5 of the hours were mowing and the rest of the hours were various tasks.
You should be running around 1 gallon per hour +/- depending on the tasks, any PTO operation is going to be on the high side.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,689 Posts
Mowing with a 60D MMM, I get just above 1gph.

When running the mower with the MCS (Not PTO powered, but adds about 700-1100lbs empty-full including front ballast) I'm closer to 0.8-0.9/gph.

Loader work for me is ~0.7gph, same with aerating in L at 2400RPMs.

Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
I follow the fuel use closely and when new, my tractor used about 1.1 gallon per hour for general use and 1.3 GPH for high RPM rear Frontier RC2048 Mowing. I track it for expense purposes and cost estimating.

Now, with the tractor broken in, synthetic fluids, treated fuel and no Biodiesel and using cetane enhancement, etc, I very consistently use .7 to .8 gph for non PTO work and .9 to 1 GPH for PTO work. Snow plowing, the fuel economy is very consistently right at .8 gph with the average engine RPM's at 2,500, sometimes, briefly WOT running down the road between driveways.........

This is with the Mauser cab (which adds about 430 pounds total) , 800 pounds of 3ph ballast when the mower isn't on and with the Versa Turf radials...............Also, being new, you will notice the last half of the tank goes much faster than the first haf of the tank. So if you are watching clock hours, either on the HM or on your watch, the first half of the tank will last 4 hours and the last half will last less than 3 hours.

Don't trust the fuel gauge entirely because all of a sudden, the tractor will stumble and at that point, you are on walk......................Also, keeping the fuel tank full of fuel means less moisture in the tank, which means fewer problems for you and your tractor..............summer and winter.

Just yesterday, I spent $230 buying mowing gasoline, which will last me about 50 hours of mowing ($230/$3 per gallon = 76 gallons of gas,using about 1.5 gph mowing), or about a month this time of year......mowing 5.5 hours on each Thursday and Friday afternoon.

Diesel fuel, I spend the most in the winter, plowing snow. I am still burning the last 15 gallons of the 60 gallons of diesel I bought in November.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Don't trust the fuel gauge entirely because all of a sudden, the tractor will stumble and at that point, you are on walk...
Especially if you work on slopes. I once ran out of fuel when it said just a little less than 1/4 tank. Of course there was fuel but the fuel was all on one side of the tank, pooled up where it wasn't any use. I was convinced there was something wrong with the tractor, and finally made the walk of shame to get the diesel can. 😄 Things started working after that.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
When I am moving this nice wet, rocky dirt of mine. I am usually at the pto setting. Distance I am traveling is usually increasing too. I can go through a quarter or half a tank pretty easy. So I am going to say a gallon a hour.

So at pto rpm for a hour I generally go thru a 1/4 of a tank.
I almost always start out with a full tank when I take her out. Unless its a trash can run.

Someone once said they sip fuel... Then I realized that they never turn the throttle up or run as hard as I do. Took me a while.. Lol

WB 🚜🇺🇲😎

·
Registered
2020 1025R
834 Posts
You should be running around 1 gallon per hour +/- depending on the tasks, any PTO operation is going to be on the high side.
That seems to be about what I'm using as well. About a gallon per hour. My old gas mower used about double the amount of fuel to cut the same area of grass.

Best,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Interesting that there isn't something similar to a MPG disclosure requirement (GPH?) for tractors. It would be good info for comparison sake but would it matter? Probably not - JD people buy green, Kubota people buy orange, I don't see someone jumping ship because a tractor gets .10 gal/hr better economy. At least not homeowners types....maybe someone who farms 1000 acres would feel different.

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
That seems to be about what I'm using as well. About a gallon per hour. My old gas mower used about double the amount of fuel to cut the same area of grass.

Best,
I noticed that same thing I also noticed that my 60 inch brush hog is a fuel hog and used a lot of fuel about 1.25 gallons per hour

·
Registered
2020 1025R
834 Posts
Interesting that there isn't something similar to a MPG disclosure requirement (GPH?) for tractors. It would be good info for comparison sake but would it matter? Probably not - JD people buy green, Kubota people buy orange, I don't see someone jumping ship because a tractor gets .10 gal/hr better economy. At least not homeowners types....maybe someone who farms 1000 acres would feel different.
How would you even measure fuel usage so that it would be meaningful to most people? Fuel consumption is highly dependent on the workload.

Best,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
... Fuel consumption is highly dependent on the workload.

Best,
Same could be said for cars/trucks but they do it there. Just because your car's MPG sticker says 30 MPG doesn't mean you will get that if you have the accelerator to the floor pulling away from every stop sign. The important thing is they use a standardized test across the board. Maybe 540 rpm rear pto @ 3/4 rated HP load.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Cars and trucks have so many variables that affect MPG; aerodynamics, weight, engine size and HP, transmission, tire type, etc. Tractors are all pretty much the same as many of those variables don’t make any difference on your gallons per hour. A 30 HP diesel is going to burn x amount of fuel per hour without much variation between brands. Running with a light load will use slightly less. It takes a certain amount of fuel to produce whatever HP you’re making.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When I brought my tractor home there was .2 hours on the clock. Dealer filled the tank at purchase. I know have 7.4 hours and am on empty by the fuel gage. I estimate 5 of the hours were mowing and the rest of the hours were various tasks. Mostly loader work. I’ll probably never try to track fuel economy on a tractor but am curious if anyone keeps up with their fuel usage for tracking gallons per hour? Would it be useful for any reason?
I've a little spiral wound notebook in the tractor garage that I record the gallons as I finish a container with the tractor's hours. Use same for all the vehicles. Later, I put the numbers into a spreadsheet.

Didn't notice before, but the 4010 goes up to 660 hours. It came out the 0.46 gph for 18.5 hp. The 2025R is running at pretty much a prorate on hp of that number. The 1025R (again, it went up to around 200 hours) was more thirsty. It was a lemon.

Here's a snippet of the one for the tractors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.