Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4044M
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4044M that I got last July. It currently has 77 hours on it so I'm looking at what needs to be done soon for maintenance.

I will be changing the oil filter and topping off the oil soon, as I meant to do it at 50 hours but I had hand surgery and got busy.

Anyway, do I need to change the fuel filters?

The manual says every 400 hours or yearly and I'm coming up on that year really fast. I've checked the separator and it is clean. I always got fuel from stations that have tractor/trailer pumps and sell a lot of diesel. I have a 275 gallon tank at home now with off-road diesel that has been used for the last two fill-ups. No evidence of water or any trash shows in the dual-filter system on it.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
17,071 Posts
Like you I put low hours on my tractor and go to great lengths to keep my fuel clean. Changing the fuel filters annually is way over kill for me. I've adopted an "every other year" fuel filter replacement regiment. Even that is a bit over kill but for my usage it seems closer to reasonable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Like you I try and keep fuel clean and buy it from a large local truck stop. I also changed the filters every other year, and keep a spare on the shelf for each machine due to winters up here and fuel gelling.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Wouldn’t hurt to put a fuel treatment in a tank or 2

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally, maintenance items are cheap insurance to me. I would change engine oil and filter at least annually if the hours spec wasn't met. I'd also change the fuel filter annually. What are we saving by not changing it? $50 versus the chance of damaging fuel pump and fuel injectors? Very costly items. Not worth the risk to me on a 20k plus tractor to save a few hundred dollars per year. I've also never heard of just changing an oil filter and topping off the oil? What to save $50 worth of oil in an engine that costs thousands of dollars? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Engine Oil accumulates by products from the combustion proccess in it, and moisture over time. To each their own though. Just my .02. I am very diligent about maintenance on all my vehicles and equipment. Everyone is different.

Reactions: righttoown

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
its far easier to change a fuel filter when the weathers nice and your not in a rush.

I put new fuel filters on in the fall when I switch my tractor over to snow removal duty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Change mine ever year and I use Howes Diesel Treat ever time I add fuel.

Reactions: Gs JD

·
Registered
2021 4044M
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm asking because I'm new to the tractor, and especially diesel, worlds. I don't mind spending money for what needs to be done, but I don't like wasting it.

My thought on changing only the oil filter is that, supposedly, there is a break-in oil installed and supposed to be run until the first scheduled oil change at 200 hours.

Is there any positive proof on whether that is true or not? If it's not a special oil, I'll change both oil and filter. You're right - it's cheap insurance.

As for the fuel, I added some Power Service to prevent algae. I have a dual filter system - one for particulates and a secondary Goldenrod water filter.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,003 Posts
I'm asking because I'm new to the tractor, and especially diesel, worlds. I don't mind spending money for what needs to be done, but I don't like wasting it.

My thought on changing only the oil filter is that, supposedly, there is a break-in oil installed and supposed to be run until the first scheduled oil change at 200 hours.

Is there any positive proof on whether that is true or not? If it's not a special oil, I'll change both oil and filter. You're right - it's cheap insurance.

As for the fuel, I added some Power Service to prevent algae. I have a dual filter system - one for particulates and a secondary Goldenrod water filter.
The newer machines with the 200hr first service do not use break-in oil. I'm not even sure the older 50hr first service machines did. The change to the first service interval is probably due to better manufacturing tolerances, etc. If break-in oil was used it should be noted in the owners manual.

Reactions: Gs JD

·
Registered
163 Posts

Your smart to treat your fuel for sure. I treat mine with anti gel in the winter and for alge the balance of the year.

Regardless of break in, engine oil should be changed at least annually in my opinion for reasons noted in my first reply to this thread. As I said to each their own though.

Reactions: righttoown
1 - 12 of 12 Posts