Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have y'all found anything to clean the plastic fuel filter bowl to make it clear again?
Mine has the clap.

I've only tried kerosene and 57 different types of brushes from nylon, plastic, brass, and stainless.
I got the biggest residue out but the bowl remains a nasty looking brown.
May try regular old bleach, or some other kind of household cleaner. But if kerosene didn't do the trick, my confidence in anything else is not very good.

I got aggravated and ordered a new one for 15 bucks. But.
Getting the old one clean has now become somewhat of a mission.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add that with todays fuels and the nature of diesel, I suspect the new one will turn to crap in no time.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
I was thinking if you could find one of those polishing balls that go in a drill that would fit in the bowl, then get some cleaner they use on the POS Plastic headlight covers.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t kerosene another version of diesel?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Yes. If you are running #1 in the winter it is Kerosene. A lot of the smaller places (gas stations) will just do blends of 1 & 2 based on the temps in your are. It is also a type of Jet Fuel. In the military we would run everything on JP8. This is the jet fuel used by the M1 tanks but all our diesel stuff ran ok on it. You would be down a little on power but not enough to really matter and simplifying the types of fuel needed were a bigger gain.

As for cleaning the bowl. Any chance you can find a glass replacement. That is the only real fix. Anything you do to "clean it" will be an uphill battle as it will just cloud over again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretty much

I keep a jug of kerosene on hand for cleaning motorcycle chains.
Diesel goes in the fuel tank.

For years and years I also had and used Varsol for cleaning parts and whatever. Got it from work until one more of the protect me from myself laws took over.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,760 Posts
If you do happen to bring the clear-look back, it will be short lived. It's the nature of what the fluid within it does.

Even if you replace it with new, it will eventually become dull.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking if you could find one of those polishing balls that go in a drill that would fit in the bowl, then get some cleaner they use on the POS Plastic headlight covers.
Funny you mention that. My ol lady bought this "kit" years ago for detailing vehicles. Looks like one of them as seen on TV outfits. Come in a big plastic case with all these attachments. Soft brushes/polishers, kinda like the gun cleaning swabs, and bristle brushes from mild to fairly stiff. About the size and shape of a giant Dremel. Sucker ain't never hit a lick. I had to hunt to find the thing. Sure enuff it had a brush that would fit the bowl pretty snug. But.

That crap just laughed at it.
Now her nice detailing tool smells like kerosene and when I hit the end of it with some brake clean to wipe it off, it kinda got a little discolored, and maybe some plastic melt occurred as well. LMAO!

The problem with that headlight lens stuff or anything else that may be abrasive, is sooner of later you may wind up taking off some plastic, or breaking it down to where it may come apart and wind up in the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think for 15 bucks you made the right move

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Here is a good YouTube video On getting the yellow off. You need a chemical reaction to do it. If you add up all of the stuff he uses that know I don’t have the $15 is probably a good thing and you don't run the risk of gassing yourself with chlorine gas.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Something I have done on ALL my diesels is to add a small engine filter inline between the tank and wherever the factory connected to next. I use the WIX style 33002 which is rated for gas. They make a diesel version that just has a nylon screen which is part number 33972. I contacted WIX and asked why the paper element filter wasn't recommended for diesel and they said the paper used is the same as higher cost diesel filters but wasn't treated to repel water so it may absorb water and clog. In my mind this increases the benefit of early detection so I stick with the gas filter. The paper element is fine enough I should never have to replace the large filter again.

I began this practice on my New Holland backhoe which had a problem with rust in the tank when I bought it. After getting the system as cleaned out as I could get it I thought replacing a few $3 filters instead of the $50 filter made sense. I had to replace the $3 filter a couple of times after the clean out process and it has remained clean since that time. I keep a couple of these filters on hand should I need one.

On my 4310 the fuel line exits the tank in plain view so I don't have to remove a panel to look at the added on filter. This tractor came to me with some algae in the tank and the main filter clogged. Since cleaning out the system and adding the small filter it has not clogged.

My diesel generator had a metal filter screwed into the pump that just had a metal screen in it. I cut it apart out of curiosity and found it 2/3 clogged with crud of some origin. I adapted one of the small engine filters in it's place so all I have to do is open the side panel and look.

If and when the small filter clogs it just restricts the fuel supply to the point the engine shuts down. 5 minutes and $3 later I am back in business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts