Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

I have a 2009 3720 that is 14 months old from date of sale. I am trying to clean out the fuel sediment bowl, but am having a bear of a time getting the large knurled knob to turn. I am turning it counterclockwise as per the instructions, but the only thing I do is slowly bend the mounting bracket so that the unit slowly migrates towards the front of the tractor. I have tried using a flathead screwdriver and a rubber mallet to get the thing to turn, but that isn't working out real well either.

So, I figured I'd see if any of you have had a real issue with getting the bowl off the first time, and if you did, what you did to get it to come loose. Any suggestions short of taking it to the dealer would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Scott,
I just cleaned the sediment bowl on my 2520 and did not have the problem you are having. Mine came apart with a big pair of channel lock pliers while holding onto the bowl with my hand. The direction of the turn depends on if the ring comes up when loosened or down when loosened. In other words when the ring is unassembled does the ring lift up off the assembly? If so then you truely do turn the ring counter clockwise when viewed from the top. Just make sure of your assembly procedure.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I agree with what Randy said, make sure you are turning in the correct direction.

Mine did not come off easy on either of my 3720's. I used some pentrol on top of the threads to help lube everything up. It made removal much easier. It seems the plastic gets a bit dirty and forms a tight grip to the nut holding everything together.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
On my 4200, the clearance to access the filter bowl's built-in shutoff valve and bowl lock nut are so tight, I end up removing it from the bulkhead to close the valve and unscrew the lock ring.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I know you all know this, but it's still funny to say....

righty tighty, lefty loosey.

-Jer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy is right, it depends on how you look at it. I sometimes look at things "a little differently" than others. I ended up buying a large handled channel lock-like oil filter wrench and turned it towards the back of the tractor. It worked like a champ.

In this same vein with the fuel sediment filter, the manual says to drain water from the fuel filter bowl daily to avoid premature engine failure. There is nothing in my manual to describe how to "drain the water". Can anyone tell me what they do on a 3720 to comply with this?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this same vein with the fuel sediment filter, the manual says to drain water from the fuel filter bowl daily to avoid premature engine failure. There is nothing in my manual to describe how to "drain the water". Can anyone tell me what they do on a 3720 to comply with this?

Thanks,
Scott
I found out the little nipple on the bottom of the sediment bowl is used for draining the water out of the system.

Scott

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most fuel bowls have some sort of plastic bolt on the bottom that you can loosen to drain them. Some have tubes connected so it drains at the bottom of the tractor and not on the engine. I would only drain it IF you see water in it. Otherwise you are messing with plastic and rubber seals. At some point if used enough, it will break or leak.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Otherwise you are messing with plastic and rubber seals. At some point if used enough, it will break or leak.
Now there is experiance talking.:good2: Age is a good one for rubber and plastic also, it deteriorates and gets brittle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts