Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what would be causing my primary fuel filter to be turning black and then plugging up until the engine dies? I use clean fuel thats not the problem. At 1 point I changed 3 filters in about 20 hrs on the tractor. Has there been any issues with the black plastic tank? Could it be possible for oil to be coming back in the return line?

·
Premium Member
12,667 Posts
That sounds like algae in the tank. You mentioned that you are using clean fuel but are you sure there isn't alae in the tank?

Do you treat your fuel with any additives?

Reactions: kylew and jimmylh

·
Registered
448 Posts
You need to drain that fuel out and really filter it good before returning it to the tank and you should probably add a Bio-side to the fuel while filtering it. You could probably disconnect the fuel line up by the filter canister and run a line back to the tank fill and use the built in pump to recirculate the fuel or pump it out of the tank. The problem is not with the tank, just the fuel in the tank.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like algae in the tank. You mentioned that you are using clean fuel but are you sure there isn't alae in the tank?

Do you treat your fuel with any additives?
no I don't treat the fuel. what do you recommend to use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to drain that fuel out and really filter it good before returning it to the tank and you should probably add a Bio-side to the fuel while filtering it. You could probably disconnect the fuel line up by the filter canister and run a line back to the tank fill and use the built in pump to recirculate the fuel or pump it out of the tank. The problem is not with the tank, just the fuel in the tank.
Ok thank you I will do that

·
Premium Member
12,667 Posts
no I don't treat the fuel. what do you recommend to use?
That is a very controversial subject. :) If you ask 10 different people you will probably get 9 different answers. There are a lot of good products out there for treating diesel fuel. I normally just use the JD Fuel Protect Winter Formula all year round.

It sounds though at the moment your initial need may be a biocide to combat your potential algae issue.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a very controversial subject. :) If you ask 10 different people you will probably get 9 different answers. There are a lot of good products out there for treating diesel fuel. I normally just use the JD Fuel Protect Winter Formula all year round.

It sounds though at the moment your initial need may be a biocide to combat your potential algae issue.

ok thank you

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used Howes and Standine products for my 1026R with no known problems. I did add a coalescing filter to my storage barrels after I noticed junk floating in my last barrel when I went to refill it, didn't want to pump that into the tractor. This was a two year old barrel of fuel, I haven't been using the fuel like I use to so it got old. Last fall, I purchased 60 gallons in two barrels and I am still using the first barrel. I probably will not buy any fuel this fall unless I tap the remaining barrel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anybody know what would be causing my primary fuel filter to be turning black and then plugging up until the engine dies? I use clean fuel thats not the problem. At 1 point I changed 3 filters in about 20 hrs on the tractor. Has there been any issues with the black plastic tank? Could it be possible for oil to be coming back in the return line?
If you do decide to drain the tank and do a thorough cleaning please take picture and update this post. I’m very curious about what you find. Pictures would be awesome for a visual learner like me. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have a 2015 1023. Bought it used, February 2018. It now has 160 hours on it. The first year I changed the floor board fuel filter 2 times. Both times it was really black. This past spring I had a small fuel leak. Found it was coming from the brass fitting leaving the tank. In my hunt for the leak I removed the fuel gauge, pulls right out. With a flash light I could see the bottom of the tank. There are a couple of low areas in the tank lower than the exiting brass fuel fitting. Mine were full of dirt and sediment and black algae stuff. I was able to vacuum most of the dirt and left over fuel out. I then taped a rag to a thin rod and was able to clean the rest of the gunk out. I then flushed the tank with diesel fuel.
I had been treating my diesel since I bought the tractor and thought I was on top of it, but my tank was very dirty. It’s been a few months and the floor board filter appears clean. Just my experience on this subject.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts