Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a fan of reading the forums in many places for a long time and wanted to get your alls opinion

I have a 520 and I believe it takes a B3317R fuel grommet, My 80 seems to use grommet R1385R. I can find both of these in black. I am thinking it would be nice to have them in red but it seems that is atypical. Does anyone know if they came in red? What are your thoughts on having them in red? I don't think I will be showing the tractor but want it to look nice and for some reason the red speaks to me.

Thanks,
Tractor Gary

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Red fuel grommets?

What in the hell are y'all talking about? Dressing up the firewall?

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Red fuel grommets?

What in the hell are y'all talking about? Dressing up the firewall?

:dunno:
I'm confused as well, what is a fuel grommet? Perhaps a picture?

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
huh...learn something new every day I suppose.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Forgive me, I just still don't get it.

I see a ring on an older JD hood for sure. But what IS it? What is its purpose, or what does it do? Is there some description for it that would explain the above to us ill-informed?
I would assume it is to prevent rattling between a metal tank and hood or to simply reduce friction between the two so they don't erode.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
^^^^^^^^ What he said.

So the spout on the fuel tank doesn't rub on the hood.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Also so when you overfill the tank, the extra runs off the hood and not down inside and onto the hot engine.

I've always used red for gasoline tractors and black for diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The pourpose of the RED grommet on the fuel is it tells uninformed people (like my youngest kid) gas goes in here not in the raditor. That happened once. My son called me "Dad the 1020 is out of gas and i tried to add gas but this green stuff overflowed when i put in gas. whats wrong?" I said stop dont touch it we will fix it when i get home. we flushed the raditor and block and no problems. When i first got the 1020 it had a red fuel cap when i ordered a new one it was black, after that i painted the cap red. that was 15years ago and have had no problems since.:greentractorride:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts