Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is pretty cool, but I'm a "tech guy" so opinions may vary....

What do you think? Would you own one?

I'm not necessarily buying one myself or any saw at the moment...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Last year, I converted to the new Stihl battery powered weed wacker and blower, and love the fact I don’t have to deal with mixed gas. I plan on getting a chainsaw too. These all run on the same 36 volt batteries. For commercial use I would love fuel injected saws, the dirt bikes sure got a lot faster. No more carburetors thumbs up from me

·
Registered
616 Posts
Last year, I converted to the new Stihl battery powered weed wacker and blower, and love the fact I don’t have to deal with mixed gas. I plan on getting a chainsaw too. These all run on the same 36 volt batteries. For commercial use I would love fuel injected saws, the dirt bikes sure got a lot faster. No more carburetors thumbs up from me
I'm with you. I went all electric on my blower, trimmer, and clippers about 5 years ago. I bought all the same brand so the batteries are interchangeable on all three. No fuss, no mess.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Cool saw. . .

That's a cool saw but hopefully I've got all the saws I'll need for the next few years. The idea that it's a heavy saw is also playing into that. I only pick up our big saws when i need to. As soon as I can I go back to either a 362 or an old Husky saw. I don't think the years will make it any easier in the future either.

Of course when he said it was Stihl's most expensive saw that got my attention as well. That' pretty high :gizmo:

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Having the right mixture at any temperature allows much more aggressive tuning by the factory. On snowmobiles injection came out and worked with some minor advantages. Then carbs caught up with flat slides, now injection is back increasing both power and efficiency.

I expected to see something like the kombi I just got. A 4 stroke running mixed gas with no separate crank case oil. It sounds weird but I cannot even load it up enough with the broom to hit full throttle without also hitting the rev limiter at about 8,000rpm.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I have been following this saw much as I also did with the release of the 462 which was over a year ago in Europe.
It is extremely light weight for an 80cc machine and while I went with what is known as a three saw plan, small, medium and large, this could have turned it into a two saw plan.
From videos and feedback from those that have them they run very well indeed.
The fuel injection system actually was a little disappointing for me to read about though as it appears to run at only about 4psi and has a small, simple injector that meters fuel into the intake boot that enters the jug.
Not exactly a high pressure atomization event such as found in modern direct injection engines.
It seems to still rely on a textured interior of the intake boot to propagate atomization and I don't think it does much more than dribble fuel than actually spray it very well.
But, it does work and it is controllable to give good hot and cold starting and excellent power.
Only real complaints I have read are that Stihl did not use centrifugal dirt separation like they have been on their later saws and the parts below the hood, so to speak get a lot of chips into them.

I knew it would be coming and had planned on selling my 441 to upgrade but after consideration I went ahead and chose the 462 over the 500.
Husky just released the new 572XP which is competitive with the 462 and I think it is a little over a pound and a half heavier.
Husky guys say that's because it was built to last vs the lighter Stihl, but it's a bit early to see any failure trends yet.
It was worth thinking about, in my view they are both top shelf selections, of course at a price.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Jeffb,

The stihl/husky banter is funny.

In non pro models I’ll take the stihl all day. They are all well built, for the long haul. Husky since selling out to AYP has 2 lines. US made smaller consumer models and Swedish made deluxe and xp models. The Swedish ones are good stihl competition. Jonsered is made on the other side of the Swedish factory or was completely pre AYP days. At that point the Jonsered did weigh a bit more than comparable husky’s that weight often was just better engine components. Now both brands are all up in weight from where they were 25 years ago 7-20% for comparable models with minimal power increases. Those old saws are all still good or repairable, unless the outer case broke.

So I reject the theory weight adding is for lifelong service, I blame emission controls.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I don’t currently have a need for a new saw. But when the time come to get a new saw I will get a “pro” saw. More than likely it will have fuel injection .:dunno:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jeffb,

The stihl/husky banter is funny.

In non pro models I’ll take the stihl all day. They are all well built, for the long haul. Husky since selling out to AYP has 2 lines. US made smaller consumer models and Swedish made deluxe and xp models. The Swedish ones are good stihl competition. Jonsered is made on the other side of the Swedish factory or was completely pre AYP days. At that point the Jonsered did weigh a bit more than comparable husky’s that weight often was just better engine components. Now both brands are all up in weight from where they were 25 years ago 7-20% for comparable models with minimal power increases. Those old saws are all still good or repairable, unless the outer case broke.

So I reject the theory weight adding is for lifelong service, I blame emission controls.
I also find the Stihl Vs Husky stuff funny. Ford Vs Chevy.
My personal opinion is that Ill take either, but I steer clear of Stihl around here because my local Deere dealer, who I like, cant fix saws worth a darn.
My local Husky dealer can fix anything, and generally gets it right the first time.
I prefer the angled handle on the Husky to the straight on the Stihl, and since Stihls M-tronic carbs are the 1st gen (or previous gen) of Huskys Autotune, I guess technically, you are running a Stihlvarna if you have one....lol.

Manufacturers fudge weight all the time.
Cost for cost, they are about equal. IE, if you buy a 362 Stihl, at roughly the same cost as a 562XP Husky, you could expect the same life/performance. Same with the lower end.
400 series Huskys are Husqvarna saws (current). Lower numbers, like 200 series are Poulan saws.
Jonesred are Husky with red plastic, which are mostly no longer available in the US. Redmax is also Husky.
Seems like theyd just have one OPE brand and run with it, but whatever....thats what happens when you get a bunch of brands under one "parent" company.

Sort of an FYI on brands, found on another site.
Husqvarna is the parent company today, and with the exception of their very small saws, they are
Roper was Bought By electrolux in 1988 it became American Yard Products Electrolux also Bought Husqvarna in 1978 . Well AYP was moved from IL to South Carolina ( Sears had owned a Portion of Roper the Controling interest Roper Had made most of the Sears Suburbans and Craftsman Tractors) So both Husqvarna and Craftsman Tractors where made at the AYP plant in SC Well in( in 1986 Electrolux bought Poulan Pro & Weed eater) 2006 Electrolux spun of it outdoor Power equipment under Husqvarna nad made it it's own company So Husqvarna is now the Parent company of AYP which is still around. So Certain Craftsman GT & lawn Tractor are made at the same plant where Husqvarna, Poulan Pro,Weed Eater and Dixion Lawn and Garden tractos are Made(dixion was Bought by HUsqvarna in the last few years). Currently some Craftsman and Craftsman Professional series are now made by MTD as well besides Husqvarna/AYP.

Husqvarna/AYP Brands owned or Made for
Husqvarna
Craftsman Made For Sears
Poulan
Poulan Pro
Weed eater
Ariens Lawn & Yard Tractros Made For Ariens
Ryobi Lawn tractors that were sold at Home Depot
Black Max sold at sames Club

Back to the original post, the FI saw is an interesting idea, but not sure its going to be the best idea.
The M-tronic/Autotune is about as good as it gets carb/fueling wise, without adding too much more electronic stuff to the mix.
I prefer simple, or at least not much more complicated than they currently are, but then again, I think most of us prefered the pre-emissions diesel stuff with our tractors too, and so far thats not been the headache a number of us thought it would turn out to be. Of course we arent that far into it either...nobody knows whats going to happen with these things 10 years from now. And since the M-tronic/Autotune requires dealer licensing to service, Im sure the FI systems will too, which makes it all that much harder for those of us who work on our own to effect repairs. Then again, thats kind of the whole idea of most manufacturers these days, take the tools out of the owners hands and force dealer service.
I guess time will tell!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

That's a nice saw but I want that tracked log skidder! :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Very nice. :thumbup1gif:

Yeah, I'd buy one.

You still have Gizmo's CC # right? :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,450 Posts
I would most definitely buy one! I think it's a great idea!:good2: Yes, it is technology, and 99.9% of the time new technology is a very good thing for us!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts