Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing some Advice from You Who Know What's going on with my tractor. About 2 months ago, I bought a 1970 JD 4020 from the original owner, with 5000 hrs. It was used on a chicken Farm All of it's Life to clean the Alley Ways with a box Blade (it's never even Pulled a plow!). It Cranks and Runs Very Well and idles well. It has a Roosa Master Injection pump that has a slow Drip in it. It seems to be coming from the area just above where the Tach Cable goes into the pump. (I'll try to upload a picture). There are 2 bolts in the same area of the leak and I'm wondering if there's a Gasket that has gone Bad.
The slow Drip doesn't affect the Tractors cranking, running or Power. I don't see any cracks in the pump. I can put Up with a small Diesel Leak Especially since the tractor Runs Fine and a Rebuilt pump is around $1500.
Somebody on here had probably dealt with this before. I understand that the Roosa Master pump has given Problems for Years. If anyone can advise me, I would Sincerely Appreciate it. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm needing some Advice from You Who Know What's going on with my tractor. About 2 months ago, I bought a 1970 JD 4020 from the original owner, with 5000 hrs. It was used on a chicken Farm All of it's Life to clean the Alley Ways with a box Blade (it's never even Pulled a plow!). It Cranks and Runs Very Well and idles well. It has a Roosa Master Injection pump that has a slow Drip in it. It seems to be coming from the area just above where the Tach Cable goes into the pump. (I'll try to upload a picture). There are 2 bolts in the same area of the leak and I'm wondering if there's a Gasket that has gone Bad.
The slow Drip doesn't affect the Tractors cranking, running or Power. I don't see any cracks in the pump. I can put Up with a small Diesel Leak Especially since the tractor Runs Fine and a Rebuilt pump is around $1500.
Somebody on here had probably dealt with this before. I understand that the Roosa Master pump has given Problems for Years. If anyone can advise me, I would Sincerely Appreciate it. Thank you in advance
IMG_20200125_163702940~2.jpg
I Did Use an Aviation Sealant on the Area that seems to be leaking

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I can't believe someone has not replaced the CB pump!! :LOL:
Those pumps gave so many problems, but if it's still running good, OK.

Where the pump mounts to the block, there is an o-ring. I'll post a drawing of it in a bit.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
If it is indeed leaking Engine Oil between the pump and mounting boss, the problem is most likely o-ring(item #5). Part number T28582, but you can probably match it at a local auto parts store.

If it's leaking Diesel Fuel between item #11 and #22, the problem is most likely O-ring Item #15. You may not find parts to that style pump.

Clean the pump as good as you possibly can and dry it off well(using compressed air). Start the engine and try to find out exactly where the leak is. If it's a fitting seal, or line seal, etc., it may be an easy fix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At one time JD offered a pump retrofit kit for tractors with a CB pump, and replace it with a JDB updated pump. It was supplied with all necessary injection lines, fuel supply lines, line clamps and hardware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is indeed leaking Engine Oil between the pump and mounting boss, the problem is most likely o-ring(item #5). Part number T28582, but you can probably match it at a local auto parts store.

If it's leaking Diesel Fuel between item #11 and #22, the problem is most likely O-ring Item #15. You may not find parts to that style pump.

Clean the pump as good as you possibly can and dry it off well(using compressed air). Start the engine and try to find out exactly where the leak is. If it's a fitting seal, or line seal, etc., it may be an easy fix.

View attachment 725437

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At one time JD offered a pump retrofit kit for tractors with a CB pump, and replace it with a JDB updated pump. It was supplied with all necessary injection lines, fuel supply lines, line clamps and hardware.

View attachment 725441

View attachment 725437

View attachment 725441
You Nailed it !! I've narrowed it down to a Leak between either #5 or #15. I can't tell if it's leaking from the area of #5 and dripping down onto the Top of the housing that goes into the block Or if it's the #15 gasket that's leaking. I put Prematex Aviation Tank Sealant on the area of the #15 gasket to See if I could get the Diesel Drip to Stop (then I was planning on changing the #15 gasket). There is No Oil Leak anywhere, just a diesel Drip. I'll Try to screenshot Your pump diagram and circle the 2 suspected Areas I think may be leaking. Thank you so much for helping me out with this !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You Nailed it !! I've narrowed it down to a Leak between either #5 or #15. I can't tell if it's leaking from the area of #5 and dripping down onto the Top of the housing that goes into the block Or if it's the #15 gasket that's leaking. I put Prematex Aviation Tank Sealant on the area of the #15 gasket to See if I could get the Diesel Drip to Stop (then I was planning on changing the #15 gasket). There is No Oil Leak anywhere, just a diesel Drip. I'll Try to screenshot Your pump diagram and circle the 2 suspected Areas I think may be leaking. Thank you so much for helping me out with this !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm New to the forum and sincerely appreciate any advice no matter how simple or basic it might seem.
I have a 1970 JD 4020 with 5000 Original Hours on it. I am the 2nd Owner. First Owner Pulled a 7ft Bush Hog and a 7ft blade on His chicken Farm so it's never Pulled a disc or set of plows or worked very hard. He sold his Farm and equipment and Retired. When I bought it, I noticed that the Lift Arms would raise Fine and seemed to stay raised until the engine was stopped. They would Slowly (over an hour or so) Leak Down. Starting the engine with the lever up wouldn't raise the arms, initially. I put 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid in it since I wasn't showing any on the dipstick. Now they still leak Down but will Raise without touching the lift lever. I don't See any major hydraulic fluid leaks After parking it on the concrete for several hours. (There is some oozing around the right side hydraulic coupler). The Power steering, transmission etc work Fine. I realize this is probably a common, simple question to Most folks on this site So Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated ! Thank you
It appears to me if leak is caused by failed o-ring(key 5 T28582) that engine oil not diesel fuel would be leaking. Spec's on o-ring are show in photo below. Seal(key 13 in previous photo) is designed to keep diesel out of engine crankcase.
That's Right. There's only Diesel leaking Out of the pump and onto the pump housing and then onto the Shop floor. No oil leaks in any direction and no diesel in the motor Oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the "Short" Pump. The area that I am pointing at is where the Diesel collects. I can't tell if it's leaking from this area or leaking above the area and dripping down and collecting Here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts