Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still need to change out the small fuel filter under the floor board on my 1025R. I would like to install a fuel shutoff while I am down there. Does anyone know what size the fuel line is? By size I mean diameter (ID), not length.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi All
Hi OLDFARMHAND I think you will find the filter under the floor boards is there to protect the electric fuel pump. The fuel comes from the fuel tank goes to the filter in question then to the electric fuel pump, to the main fuel filter on the side of the engine and ends at the injector pump. I know the filter on my 1025R does a good job stopping rubbish getting to the electric fuel pump, I have had to replace it a couple of timed due to blockages.
I would say most if not all modern cars and trucks have strainers in there fuel tank to stop contaminants getting to the fuel pump, JD just put theirs on the outside.
:thumbup1gif:
Regards John

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Still need to change out the small fuel filter under the floor board on my 1025R. I would like to install a fuel shutoff while I am down there. Does anyone know what size the fuel line is? By size I mean diameter (ID), not length.
I'd sure be interested in what you arrive at for the shutoff and where exactly you find room to put it. Keep us posted!:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
On a similar thread some time ago, someone recommended these little clamps available on Amazon. The problem with a permanent shutoff valve is that it won't stop the fuel from the fuel pump side of the line from dripping the whole time you're changing the filter. You really need a shut-off on both sides of the filter. Hose clamp pliers are great IF you have the clearance to get them in place. It's not easy where this filter is located.

These little clamps go in fast and they really shut off the flow completely -- from both directions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I think the OP was talking about installing a permanent shut off valve. Thank for the post with the pinch off clamps those look handy. I put them on my wish list on Amazon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Seems like allot of work in a tight place. Small vise grip pliers work fine for me for changing the filter. I use funnel that has a screen in it. You would be surprised how much that stuff that catches. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey thanks for the heads up. Makes since and is pretty standard to have a prefilter. Would have been nice to have in a more convenient location but it is a subcompact.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I changed the filter today. Caused a bit of a mess when the vice grips I used as a clamp cut through the small fuel line between the filter and the tank. Yes, the fuel line is 5/16, and I can also confirm that most auto part stores do not carry a 5/16 fuel line shut off.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I also bought a set of those wing nut clamps along with "pliers type" like these. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Piece-Flexible-Brake-Water/dp/B01CRKCF3U/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491793340&sr=1-11&keywords=fuel+line+clamps They work very well in tight spaces.

The BEST fuel line tool I got was this https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47900-Hose-Remover-Plier/dp/B000MITKOM/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491793542&sr=1-8&keywords=fuel+line+removal+tool it separates line from filters with no struggle. Best tool $10 I've spent in a while!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm going to try these.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
So I changed the filter today. Caused a bit of a mess when the vice grips I used as a clamp cut through the small fuel line between the filter and the tank. Yes, the fuel line is 5/16, and I can also confirm that most auto part stores do not carry a 5/16 fuel line shut off.
Was wandering around a local Tractor Supply, picked up one of these, it's for 5/16, and is $15.00 (a bit pricey IMHO).

Raider Shut-off Valve, 5/16 in. - For Life Out Here

I haven't had a chance to install yet, but I'm thinking of putting this where the small filter is now and putting the filter further down the line. Still in the planning stage.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that link tomfive. TSC is on my way home from work, I think I'll stop in there.
There is not a lot of extra room down there, but there is a little bit. You can loosen up the hose clamp thingy that holds the fuel line in place and you have a little bit of wiggle room to move the fuel line back and fourth. Get yourself a foot of 5/16" fuel line to have on hand, just in case. Trust me...it is good to have!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts