Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so this may seem stupid but what fuel is everyone running on the new 2032R tractors. Manual specifies ultra low sulfur, which is typically on road fuel (green), but is anyone running off road (red) fuel? If so - how did you learn you could do this? Did your dealer say so? Will it void engine warranty - manual says improper fuel can void engine warranty. Just want to be sure I am doing the right thing. Again, I run heavy equipment for a living so red fuel has always kind of been a given for everything in the off road world, but with these new DPF filters I wasn't sure if it would change anything on this tractor. It doesn't on big equipment, but better safe than sorry. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
No, it makes no difference, as long as it’s ULSD. It’s just dye injected for tax purposes.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
OK so this may seem stupid but what fuel is everyone running on the new 2032R tractors. Manual specifies ultra low sulfur, which is typically on road fuel (green), but is anyone running off road (red) fuel? If so - how did you learn you could do this? Did your dealer say so? Will it void engine warranty - manual says improper fuel can void engine warranty. Just want to be sure I am doing the right thing. Again, I run heavy equipment for a living so red fuel has always kind of been a given for everything in the off road world, but with these new DPF filters I wasn't sure if it would change anything on this tractor. It doesn't on big equipment, but better safe than sorry. Thanks!
Green fuel? Around here "on road" diesel is pretty much clear. Either type is fine as long as it is ULSD. It's best to get it from some place that you can trust and has high volume sales, especially when cold weather rolls around.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Any diesel fuel sold now is ULSD. If you have access to off road diesel then you can use that and save yourself the road tax that the state puts on the on road diesel.
Here in Ohio that tax is $.28 a gallon.
Looks like wv tax is over $.37 a gallon.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Any diesel fuel sold now is ULSD. If you have access to off road diesel then you can use that and save yourself the road tax that the state puts on the on road diesel.
Here in Ohio that tax is $.28 a gallon.
Looks like wv tax is over $.37 a gallon.

This! It used to be that off road (construction) fuel was high sulfur-but its been better than a decade since everyone switched over to USLD in on and off road applications-there just isn’t any made anymore that could hurt your engine-so find a fresh supply at the lowest cost and pump away!

·
Premium Member
14,099 Posts
Use OFF Road if you can find it, cheaper same fuel just has a dye

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Off Road fuel is the same as On Road fuel, just has a red dye added so that cheaters can be caught. The tax is a great savings. I am thinking that it is about 50 cents per gallon here. I have a 300 gallon tank that they deliver to me when I order it. I have not had a delivery since Nov of 2016, but will soon have to call for a delivery. I paid $200 for my tank and expect to have it pay for itself soon. Not to mention the ease of fueling. Just pull up to the tank and "fill up".

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i was thinking it was all the same now but I don't remember seeing a sign on the off road fuel that said it was the ultra low sulfur like it says to use and that the on road fuel says. Just don't want to run into a warranty problem down the road if needed. You know how picky these dealers can be anymore. I know a lot of guys that like to chance running it in the diesel pickups but I don't think I want to get stuck with a 10K dollar fine if they catch you haha.

·
Registered
715 Posts
In NA, none of the refineries produce anything but ULSD anymore. As stated, the reason it is off-road is because there is no road tax. Just like the gasoline in marinas (don't worry, they more than make up for it in the cost of convenience) and avgas.

Al

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Ya i was thinking it was all the same now but I don't remember seeing a sign on the off road fuel that said it was the ultra low sulfur like it says to use and that the on road fuel says. Just don't want to run into a warranty problem down the road if needed. You know how picky these dealers can be anymore. I know a lot of guys that like to chance running it in the diesel pickups but I don't think I want to get stuck with a 10K dollar fine if they catch you haha.
The pump should actually be labeled "off-road ULSD"!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
In Texas, I have to fill out a form (one time at the dealer) to buy red diesel, I think it saves me about 45 cents or so per gallon. Sometimes I'll buy five or ten gallons in our little town instead of driving 25 miles to our nearest small city. (One of the problems of being rural.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
BEWARE Red Diesel Isn't Road Taxed

WARNING!! I'm not versed in other state laws concerning red dye diesel but here in Washington State if you use non-road taxed red diesel in a road licensed vehicle and you get caught, it's a $1,000.00 fine and mandatory court. It's only allowed to be used in farm equipment and off road vehicles. I believe we have the highest tax per gallon at .49 cents per gallon. Cenex sells it here and it's boldly marked at the pump. I've used it in my 2012 1026r tractor since I've owned it without any issues whatsoever. I keep twenty gallons in four five gallon yellow plastic containers.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
WARNING!! I'm not versed in other state laws concerning red dye diesel but here in Washington State if you use non-road taxed red diesel in a road licensed vehicle and you get caught, it's a $1,000.00 fine and mandatory court. It's only allowed to be used in farm equipment and off road vehicles. I believe we have the highest tax per gallon at .49 cents per gallon. Cenex sells it here and it's boldly marked at the pump. I've used it in my 2012 1026r tractor since I've owned it without any issues whatsoever. I keep twenty gallons in four five gallon yellow plastic containers.
That is pretty much the situation everywhere. That's why they put the dye in it.

I've always heard that PA had the highest gas tax per gallon but it's not necessarily a competition that I'd like to win. :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seasonally adjusted?

Off Road fuel is the same as On Road fuel, just has a red dye added so that cheaters can be caught. The tax is a great savings. I am thinking that it is about 50 cents per gallon here. I have a 300 gallon tank that they deliver to me when I order it. I have not had a delivery since Nov of 2016, but will soon have to call for a delivery. I paid $200 for my tank and expect to have it pay for itself soon. Not to mention the ease of fueling. Just pull up to the tank and "fill up".

Dave
Hi,
I'm currently running road fuel knowing that it is seasonally adjusted for our area (Federal Law) and has other additives. Is the Off-Road fuel similarly treated or am I responsible for adding products to it?
Thanks!
Denise

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Hi,
I'm currently running road fuel knowing that it is seasonally adjusted for our area (Federal Law) and has other additives. Is the Off-Road fuel similarly treated or am I responsible for adding products to it?
Thanks!
Denise
ULSD needs the additives whether it is on road or off road.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hi,
Thanks!
Denise
I assume you mean seasonally treated to lower the cloud point for winter use.
My understanding is both fuels are treated during the appropriate season, however if very low temperatures are expected it is always a good idea to add your own winter treatment at the correct ratio.
As far as lubricity additives both fuels contain at least a minimum amount that all modern diesel engines are designed to tolerate.
Many folks add supplemental lubricants with cetane boosters anyway.
I run such additives in my expensive diesel pickup because it makes around 28,000 psi fuel pressure and I believe I may prolong the high pressure fuel pump lifespan.
I don't feel it is needed in my relatively low pressure fuel system in my small tractor engine.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
That is pretty much the situation everywhere. That's why they put the dye in it.

I've always heard that PA had the highest gas tax per gallon but it's not necessarily a competition that I'd like to win. :-(
I agree concerning the competition that is not worth winning. Sad to say, PA has won this one. PA has the highest fuel taxes per gallon by a fairly large margin. :banghead: Again, this isn't a competition worth winning. We can tell at the pumps, believe me.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
I agree concerning the competition that is not worth winning. Sad to say, PA has won this one. PA has the highest fuel taxes per gallon by a fairly large margin. :banghead: Again, this isn't a competition worth winning. We can tell at the pumps, believe me.
Thanks for reminding me of how screwed we are.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
You are welcome, although I probably didn't have to tell you that living in PA is expensive. Not the worst state but pretty bad when it comes to creative taxation.
One thing we do have on the positive side, of the states that require a carry permit, PA is the easiest to get one. :good2:

·
Registered
12,508 Posts

You are welcome, although I probably didn't have to tell you that living in PA is expensive. Not the worst state but pretty bad when it comes to creative taxation.
One thing we do have on the positive side, of the states that require a carry permit, PA is the easiest to get one. :good2:
Wasn't that many years ago we used to drive across the boarder for gas because it was way cheaper than New York, not the case anymore. :flag_of_truce: full tank of fuel, fireworks and cheap tobacco and head home. :lol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts