Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to move fuel shut off valve Auto part Vehicle Metal Car more then several degrees with a reasonable amount of force and really don't want to put a wrench on the plastic handle to increase torque My brother has identical tractor and he can't move his handle either Does it have a lock of some kind and does it move towards the engine? Would like to change fuel filter Understand from other posts that ring that holds on bowl is hard to turn too

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
If it moves freely for a few degrees, try to push it in and turn it. I would also spray it with some penetrating oil to make sure its able to move without corrosion.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
There is no lock that I know of, it's probably just tight from lack of use or the o-ring has swollen. The ring that holds the bowl on can be a PITA also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome Gus:

I have a 2001 4200 and I know exactly what a PITA those valves and bowl rings are. What I do is remove the two bolts holding the fuel filter bowl to the firewall so I can pull it out into the open. I use a pair of pliers on the die-cast metal shutoff handle to turn it on and off. Getting the fuel filter off the firewall will make it easier to get the die-cast retaining ring off too. Try some heavy rubber gloves on the ring first, then large water-pump pliers if that doesn't work. After changing the filter, just bolt it back onto the firewall and you're good to go. Open the valve before you bolt it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my 4200 I also had to use pliers to close my shutoff. After cycling on-off 20 to 30 times it loosened up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts