Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is from another forum I lurk on but I thought it would be a good idea to post. This can be generalized to anything flammable including spray cans and whatnot.:danger:

Prior to Y2K, I was really into prepping. I had food for the family for at least a year, hundreds of gallons of kerosene, big blue barrels of water, guns, ammo and an assortment of other toys and gadgets.

Shortly before Y2K, I had what I felt was a moment of clarity, and started to systematically get rid of all of it. The buckets and tins of food went to the curb. I donated the fuel, dumped the water, and sold all the guns and ammo. I did, however; keep a few items around including about 40 cans of butane fuel for a stove and lantern.

The debate as to whether flushing my life of preparedness stores was or was not a prudent move is moot. Some years back, a house fire took out the attached garage and a good portion of the house. I lost nearly everything including my life.

Here’s why I am posting:

If your home catches on fire. Leave the house and let it burn!!! I ran into the garage when my wife told me there was a fire in there to put it out. My stupidity led to me spending the next week in the hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on about 30% of my body. I spent the next two months recovering from those burns, which is an experience I would not wish on my worst enemy. If you think the initial injury was the bad part, I can assure you that the debriding that followed sucked like no other experience I’ve had. Scarring on the face is hardly noticeable, the arms and hands are pretty obviously scarred.

When I entered the garage, the fire appeared to be manageable. What I didn’t realize was that the fire was in the vicinity of one single 8oz can of butane fuel. The other 40 cans of fuel didn’t join the show until the fire spread to the rest of the garage. This small can of fuel exploded next to me and created a brief wall of fire that caused the injury. For only a brief moment, I was in the middle of a ball of fire. I immediately fell back out of the garage and did the stop, drop, and roll thing. A few minutes later I sat on my neighbor’s front porch from across the street while I heard explosion after explosion as those fuel canisters kept the firefighters from being able to safely enter my garage to extinguish the fire.

I wonder what would have happened if I’d not donated the 400 plus gallons of kerosene that used to be right where the fire started. :O
Anyhow…understand the risk when storing fuel and the results of uncontrolled combustion. Please be safe. Stuff can be replaced…people can’t.

[original post here]
1 - 1 of 1 Posts