Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2025R owners manual states " drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter " This is listed under yearly maintenance interval

Does anyone do this yearly?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Unless you get a bad batch of fuel and notice your filters filling quickly I wouldn’t bother. My family has never done this in 35+ years of owning a half dozen tractors. In that time we have never needed to even drain the water separator on any of the tractors. Fuel filters have been replaced during oil changes just to be safe. We have always either fill up directly from the pump or from cans stored indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have never done this and have never ever had a water problem in tractor fuel nor in 2 Benzes for 32 years of driving them.

Water will show up in the bottom of your fuel filter glass.

Ralph

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
The phrase " drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter " exists in literally every tractor owner's manual. Since there isn't a water drain valve on the fuel tank, everyone interprets the first part of the sentence to mean "drain water from water separator".

As for changing the fuel filter annually, I don't mow with my tractor and only put about 25 hours a year on it. I only use on-road diesel. As such, I change the spin-on fuel filter every 2 years.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the advice. I thought draining the fuel tank without any signs of water in the separator was a bit much.

This being my first diesel I'm learning. Glad for this forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts