Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you tired of man handling Big Jugs / cans? As you age, do you find them harder to handle and just more difficult to keep in the upright, operating position? Do you find them a burden and a real pain in the backside? I have found some jugs I really like and strongly recommend. FUEL JUGS, of course, Diesel or Gasoline.

What better way to avoid lifting the Big Jugs than to be able to pump off the contents into your machine's fuel tank. I recently bought a Terra Pump sold by Sojitek and it works great. Here are the jugs which I have used for years and really like.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Square-Racing-Utility/dp/B00AVA2DJA/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=fuel+jug&qid=1589298817&s=automotive&sr=1-8

Nice features and benefits of the plastic fuel jugs include;
  • Designed to hold 5 gallons, they jugs will hold up to 6 gallons easily.
  • Large threaded filler cap is easy to handle and makes filling the jugs very easy.
  • You can stand at the gas station pump and fill these, instead of having to bend and hover over the smaller, lower containers.
  • The large opening pours easily without using the vent and avoids splashing and "splurshing" fuel.
  • A clear plastic threaded fill tube is available and comes with some of the fuel jugs.
  • If you don't want the plastic fill tube with the jugs, it can save you up to $5 per jug excluding the tube.
  • Jugs are available in red, yellow, purple, green, clear, white, pink, you name it.......they make it. (probably)
The Terra Pump, Sold by Sojitek
  • Bought it from Amazon for $59.99 and had to pay an additional $3.99 in shipping as it does not come from Amazon, but rather from another source.
  • This also made the delivery about 8 days, verses two days for the usual Amazon so if you are in a hurry, carefully check their ship dates before ordering as it could be out as far as 2 weeks from some shipments I have seen.
  • Uses 4 AA batteries but can operate on two, just for a much shorter period of time. 4 batteries are recommended.
  • Has an auto shut off feature which I found actually works when USED CORRECTLY.
  • Works on gasoline, diesel fuel and other fuels and liquids as well. Just don't mix and match with the same pump for best long term results.
  • The draw tube on the pump expands so it can work on a wide range of fuel containers.
  • Pumps 2.4 gallons per minute and it actually achieves this volume (even more, I checked it myself)
  • The Terra Pump comes with an adapter kit with 4 adapters, one of which DOES fit these large fuel jugs.
  • Please note, many of the cheaper or imitation / knock off pumps DO NOT include adapters and require you to order adapter rings separately, at a cost of up to an additional $19. Read the fine print carefully.
  • The cap which comes on the jugs won't accept the fuel pump, but the pump I ordered from the Amazon link does come with a cap which fits these fuel jugs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SBZRELY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this Battery Powered Fuel Pump
  • You don't squeeze this nozzle to operate it like you do on a gas station pump. There is no handle to squeeze on this nozzle. You push the "power" or "pump" button on top of the pump to operate the pump.
  • This makes using this pump somewhat of a 2 hand operation for many.
  • You can clip the nozzle to many filler necks, depending upon the style, but not all.
  • The pump uses 4 AA batteries and the manufacturer claims it will provide power to pump 100 5 gallon cans of fuel or more.
  • I used this and it will pump over 5 gallons of fuel, very cleanly, quietly and uneventfully in about 2 minutes. In fact, it empties the fuel jugs surprisingly fast.
  • Very nice way to fill items without having to lift the fuel container and POUR or using a funnel.
  • Those who have a Mauser Cab on their tractor will find this is ideal for filling their tractor fuel tank as the cab makes using a funnel or even a large pour hose more difficult. Filling the John Deere diesel tank with this pump is a piece of cake. (y) (y)
Plastic Fuel Jugs, There are a number of Sources and Choices
  • I bought 4 of the VP Branded jugs for $112.98 which included free Prime Shipping from Amazon. It also included the clear plastic fill tubes, which I don't use.
  • These are available in a variety of colors and there are some round shaped and the square shaped like these jugs shown. I prefer the square shape as they are easier to secure in a trailer, etc. against another item or surface for transport.
  • I picked up 2 fro Menard's on Saturday for $18.99 each and also got an additional 11% rebate. They did not include the clear fill tubes which thread into the jugs cap, which is fine as I didn't want the clear pour tubes.
  • These fuel jugs are sold a number of places and the prices vary widely. True Value sells them at $29.99 each, and O'Reilly had them in the store at $37.99 each, but they don't show on their website for some reason.
  • Beware of the thin plastic imported jugs with crappy injection molding and thin seams. They are likely to disappoint you and possibly cause you a mess to clean up.
  • Most all of the caps are the same size, except on some of the knockoff imports and they were some oddball size. Otherwise, these caps all seem to swap between fuel jugs which is handy.
  • Basically, look for the label of quality (made in the USA)
  • Avoid the warning label (imported from China)
  • Note, the interesting label on these jugs, from the manufacturer. The manufacturer says these are not fuel containers as described by the EPA, etc and are do not meet the requirements of other fuel can standards. It's because of the large caps, vents, etc.
  • Actually, the things which make this fail to meet the EPA guidelines are largely the reasons why I prefer these fuel jugs.
  • Note, the jugs I got at Menards are also made in the USA, which is great to see....Texas, it appears..............(y)💪

Why not get a large single fuel cell, instead of a number of individual fuel jugs?
I purposely didn't want a large 35 to 55 gallon "fuel cell" or larger bulk storage tank for a number of reasons, including;
  • Our HOA restricts individual fuel storage tank sizes, but not the number of fuel jugs.
  • Home owners insurance also had limits and special requirements for bulk fuel storage tanks. I store all of my fuel in a detached building more than 100 feet from the house. I never put any fuel jugs, cans, etc. into the garage attached to the house.
  • Local rules require "spill containment walls" on bulk above ground fuel tanks.
  • I don't have an easy way to transport a fuel tank / cell which could weighs 250 to 500 pounds depending upon capacity as I don't have a pick up truck.
  • Fuel delivery charges a premium, plus my storage building is well off the driveway and road and I don't want a fuel truck driving across my yard.
  • I like the flexibility of being able to buy as little as 5 gallons or as much as 80 gallons of fuel depending upon the need and price. I went down last week and filled 12 of the gasoline fuel hugs when gas dropped to $1.20 per gallon. As of today, local gas prices are already back up to $1.88 for regular. That temporary price drop saved me about $50 in the purchase cost of that gasoline purchase.
Final Points to Consider about this Post
  • I use a lot of gasoline in the summer months mowing, on average 15 to 20 gallons per week. But I am also mowing as much as 10 to 12 hours per week. So my needs are different than many / most.
  • I use a lot of diesel fuel plowing snow, as much as 200 gallons per winter (not this winter, only about 22 gallons in total)
  • In the winter, I use very little gasoline and only keep 5 gallons of treated gasoline on hand for my Honda walk behind snow blower.
  • I like to have enough fuel on hand so if there is an emergency, I won't be forced to be in line early to get what I need. As an example, if we had a World Wide Pandemic.......and everything non essential was shut down. Sounds like the stuff of Science Fiction, doesn't it? (eyes rolling, head banging, etc.)
  • I always treat All gasoline fuel with Star Tron enzyme treatment, all year long.
  • All diesel fuel is treated with Howe's Diesel fuel treatment product, every fuel jug, every time, all year long.
  • Always do what you think is best for you. Your results may vary because even mine do.
  • I did pay for the pump and fuel jugs out of my own pocket and I am not being compensated in anyway for this or any review I post.
  • I endorse the products which I like and which meet my needs. I want my friends to experience the same good results which I did, when using these products.
  • I hate to see people who work hard for their money spend it on things which disappoint them or even cause them trouble. Its one of the reasons why I take the time to review such things here on GTT.
  • Things I don't like or which disappoint me, I give the manufacturer and or seller of the items every reasonable chance to resolve the problems or disappointment. I don't just shred them online because things can and do happen which warrant a fair chance to remedy them.
  • I always fairly describe the problem, summarize the communications between myself and the seller and or maker of the product, accurately depicting the story. I also tell the "rest of the story", as Paul Harvey used to say.
  • The Truth, Nothing but the Truth, so help me God. For better or worse. Till death I do part and hopefully not as a result of any reviewed product. ;)
Hope this information is helpful for anyone tired of lifting and pouring from fuel cans and who might not have the ability or equipment to handle a "fuel caddy" or similar type of fuel storage method.

fueljug1.jpg
fueljugtag1.jpg
fueljugtag2.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your first sentence:
Are you tired of man handling Big Jugs / cans?

I better not comment on that.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
  1. Never tired...

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Question about the pump - how much lift does it have? Will it lift the fuel the length of the hose? And how long is the hose?

I only have gasoline for my generator. I store 2) 5 gallon cans. I might use 2-3 gallons a year - then once a year I dump them in my pickup and refill with premium non-ethanol gas.

I use metal safety cans - that’s what I have. I wonder if this pump would work with these?

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is what I purchased for diesel and I’ll probably buy one for gas when my old can gives out. It’s a bit expensive but to me it’s worth every penny based on others on the market.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sully those are all I use now for home. Learned about them ten years ago when I started helping with a tractor pulling team. That’s what we transferred the racing alcohol into from a 55 gallon drum. Far superior to the crappy epa approved cans made today. I absolutely hate the safety cans we have to use at work. Nothing like holding a steel can in the air for 20 minutes waiting for fuel to glub out.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
This is what I purchased for diesel and I’ll probably buy one for gas when my old can gives out. It’s a bit expensive but to me it’s worth every penny based on others on the market.

Agree. The No-Spill is the best can I have ever used. I have a 1 and 5-gal gas and a 5-gal diesel. I can fuel my generator and small engines without leaking a drop.

However, it still requires you to LIFT the 5-gallon container which I believe is something the OP was trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Question about the pump - how much lift does it have? Will it lift the fuel the length of the hose? And how long is the hose?
I can't say for sure but I don't think those pump have enough lift to pump much more than the hose provided.

I bought one of these NINE years ago. It uses 2-D batteries and a similar pump to what the OP posted. I didn't expect it to last more than a year but believe it or not it still works fine. I only paid $18 for it at the time.

I use it mostly for sucking old fuel OUT of my various small engines.

HF currently sells an identical unit for $9.99.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I have been using one of those pumps for a while now and they are great. I wish they were 12v though so I could power it from the tractor and not have to worry about a dead battery or worse, leaking batteries. I might have to convert one. I like how they auto shut off.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I can't say for sure but I don't think those pump have enough lift to pump much more than the hose provided.

I bought one of these NINE years ago. It uses 2-D batteries and a similar pump to what the OP posted. I didn't expect it to last more than a year but believe it or not it still works fine. I only paid $18 for it at the time.

I use it mostly for sucking old fuel OUT of my various small engines.

HF currently sells an identical unit for $9.99.

View attachment 738556
I have that exact unit. It couldn't be simpler. Or cheaper.

I have since opted for more capacity which has also worked out well. I can fork the thing into the bed of the truck to take it over to the local convenience store to fill with off-road diesel.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I picked up a diesel transfer pump off eBay for I thing about $35 or $40 bucks. 12V power. Came with tubing, a nifty glass station type nozzle and the fittings and tubing to put it all together. Makes

quick work of filing the tank. There’s a YouTube video out there somewhere showing how to disassemble it to properly lube up the gears (they were dry - Chinese special) which seems to be a premature failure point with them. They pump from ground level just fine. I’ve used it 4 or 5 times. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I like handling big jugs.
As for fueling, I will just stay with my bulk tank.
I have a bulk tank for non-ox premium gasoline 'cuz I use a lot of that, but my diesel fuel utilization is such that that much diesel fuel will mostly just collect water and and grow algae. I'd have the diesel delivered, but they charge a delivery fee for less than 100 gallons.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the same set up but labeled Mr. Gasket. This past winter was early snow and then nothing so I have only had to use it a couple times but it has worked perfectly. Not a drop spilled.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Agree. The No-Spill is the best can I have ever used. I have a 1 and 5-gal gas and a 5-gal diesel. I can fuel my generator and small engines without leaking a drop.

However, it still requires you to LIFT the 5-gallon container which I believe is something the OP was trying to avoid.
I think you just talked me into the No-Spill jugs. I just looked and TSC has them in the 2.5 gallon size. That is just what I need.

I can’t even get the 5 gallon cans in or out of my pickup without causing major distress to my shoulders. And yeah...I could just fill my 5 gallon cans 1/2 full but I don’t want 4) 5 gallon cans. 4 of the 2.5 gallon is a perfect solution for me.

Going to wait for my quarterly TSC 10% coupon coming next month.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I think you just talked me into the No-Spill jugs. I just looked and TSC has them in the 2.5 gallon size. That is just what I need.

I can’t even get the 5 gallon cans in or out of my pickup without causing major distress to my shoulders. And yeah...I could just fill my 5 gallon cans 1/2 full but I don’t want 4) 5 gallon cans. 4 of the 2.5 gallon is a perfect solution for me.

Going to wait for my quarterly TSC 10% coupon coming next month.
I think you'll like it. The ONLY negative thing I can say about the No-Spill cans is that if you are pouring a lot of fuel it can get a bit tiresome to hold that little green button in.

I've read where some folks have drilled two little holes in the side guards so they can insert a small cotter pin after depressing the button and it will keep the button depressed.

One of the nice features of the No-Spill spout is it vents through the tip such that as soon as the fuel level touches the tip, it stops flowing. If you have fuel tanks that you can't reach with the short spout they also sell a 6-inch extension that plugs right on the end. I use one for filling my kerosene torpedo heater as the short neck on the spout won't reach the tank. Even with the extension the auto-shutoff still works.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
This guy tests out stuff like your pump Sulley. He’s goofy, but shows realistic scenarios

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
I think you'll like it. The ONLY negative thing I can say about the No-Spill cans is that if you are pouring a lot of fuel it can get a bit tiresome to hold that little green button in.

I've read where some folks have drilled two little holes in the side guards so they can insert a small cotter pin after depressing the button and it will keep the button depressed.

One of the nice features of the No-Spill spout is it vents through the tip such that as soon as the fuel level touches the tip, it stops flowing. If you have fuel tanks that you can't reach with the short spout they also sell a 6-inch extension that plugs right on the end. I use one for filling my kerosene torpedo heater as the short neck on the spout won't reach the tank. Even with the extension the auto-shutoff still works.

View attachment 738620

View attachment 738622
I thought about holding the button. I have a 5 gallon plastic diesel jug I got at the truck stop some years ago. It has a lever that you need to hold - plus a lock tab you have to move first. I find it very hard to hold that lever.

After reading some reviews it was mentioned that the button is well placed - and has a comfortable place to put your forefinger on the opposite side from the button which helps with some leverage. Plus the fact of them being only 2.5 gallons it shouldn’t take all too long to empty one.

I’m going to take a look at them at TSC when I go to town next week. I’ll be able to tell right away how hard the button is to push for me.

I can see where the extension would really help with a kerosene heater.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Been meaning to do this, Sulley. Just took the plunge on the pump. Will review when I get it and use it a little. Thanks, buddy.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts