Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,397 Posts
Good deal, Mark.

One day we received an unexpected package from Cramazon that turned out to be for someone else. Inside was a small scale and a hand powered bud grinder. We never heard back from Cramazon either when we tried to return it. The scale is handy.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
SB I wanted to get one of these a year or two ago but after reading so many reviews about issues with batteries dying and the tube and fittings leaking I couldn't drop the $60. Rumor has it they came out with a V2 with less issues but not great and still eating batteries. Is yours a V4 or just made by a different company rather than directly by terrapump and sold through Amazon?

When the cap is on for this pump is it secure in there and won't slide out or leak when bounce like the OEM pour spout? I don't want to worry about it leaking where the intake tube goes through the cap.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
SB,

Do they offer a cap that threads onto the adapter for these things? Or does the original can cap fit the threads?

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
SB,

Do they offer a cap that threads onto the adapter for these things? Or does the original can cap fit the threads?

View attachment 752372
I bought a large cap for my fuel jugs which has the threaded male nipple on top to accept the pump. I also just found out the standard threads on the adapter on the pump itself fits my normal 5 gallon fuel jugs with the plastic spout inside the cap. Between the adapters which came with the pump and the one extra large cap I ordered with the threads for my fuel jugs, I haven't had the pump fail to fit any of the numerous fuel cans and jugs I have, but I am sure there are some out there of different sizes.

Here is the cap to the large fuel jugs I am using............The pump threads right onto the cap............Note, this is for the very large neck fuel jugs, the cap is the size of an average adult fist.......

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Update to this thread.

I have to say I am very happy with these pumps, as I am using 2 different pumps, one for diesel fuel and one for gasoline. I have these threaded right onto the fuel jugs or cans and while I do have to use an adapter on some of my fuel cans, I am slowly transitioning over to all of the fuel jugs which are the tall, square based ones with the very large opening and cap. I have found these at Menard's for around $16 each and even less on sale. One suggestion, when selecting the fuel jugs, avoid the plastic fuel jugs with the real thin sides as they bulge with fuel and probably won't last as long with this stress on the jugs joints, etc.

These taller square based fuel jugs are easier to fill for me at the pump as I can stand and hold the nozzle when I sit the jugs on the curb at the base of the pump. The other fuel cans, I have to stoop over and hold the pump nozzle in the fuel cans filler neck when at the station, which really is irritating to my lower back (multiple surgeries and fusions / hardware installs, etc. totaling a dozen surgeries, so it's a life long problem)

I LOVE filling the various fuel tanks with these pumps. It's so much safer and easier than lifting and pouring the fuel and using funnels, etc.

When we had our recent power outage which went on from Monday through late Wednesday, I had 3 generators running so we could run the A/C and pretty much the entire house. Using these pumps to fill the generators is SO MUCH SAFER than using a funnel and lifting and pouring the fuel. The generators were always hot and the risk of any splashed fuel or any spills is so much greater when you are exhausted and tired from not sleeping, etc. Instead, take the end of the hose from the pump and hold it in the tank and push the button. The fuel flow will stop automatically, but due to the circumstances, I shut the pump off with the push of the button, just to be extra safe. It worked flawlessly.

Also, when filling my John Deere 1025r with the Mauser cab, the fuel fill neck is tucked back into the cab and very difficult to get a funnel into the fuel tank. With this pump, its very easy, simply clip the fuel hose filler over the lip of the tank where the cap screws on and push the on button. Even though the fuel fill is a straight vertical push from the fuel jug on the ground up to the tractors tank, the pump handles it no problem. With the pump nozzle clipped to the fuel tank filler neck, the pump shuts off when the fuel is right at the base of of the filler neck so you can see the fuel level inside the tank. Couldn't be easier of more convenient.

I have found when you notice the fill times taking longer, the batteries are ready for replacement. The diesel pump uses batteries faster than the gas pump because of the straight vertical lift of the diesel fuel from the tank to the tractors tank filler neck. I still get at least a dozen 5 gallon fuel jugs emptied into the tractor tank before needing 4 new AA batteries. With the tractor burning about a gallon of fuel per hour of use, that means the batteries in the pump get me about 60 hours of tractor time for each set of 4 AA batteries. I just ordered 24 Energizer AA batteries for $15 to see if they last any longer than the Amazon brand batteries I have been using.

In the summer, I go through a lot of gas mowing, using about 15 to 18 gallons per week, mowing between 16 to 20 acres per week. Average mowing with my ExMark uses about a gallon per acre on average. So in the typical month, I am using 60 to 72 gallons of gas per month, which means using the pumps often. I maintain 60 to 70 gallons of gasoline on hand in the 5 / 6 gallon jugs and I can keep 60 gallons of diesel fuel.

I prefer to use the 5 gallon fuel jugs as I can fill what I need, when I need it verses having a bulk tank. Plus, the bulk tanks are headaches for the homeowners insurance, the township and other regulatory challenges. As the season winds down in November, I will maintain only about 15 gallons of gasoline on hand for the winter and will be at the peak of diesel fuel for snow removal.

These pumps have proven to be very helpful and function very well. The hoses aren't as heavy duty as I would prefer so I am careful about not kinking the hose of putting pressure on it. I have run through at least 300 gallons of fuel through the pumps and other than changing batteries, that's the extent of any maintenance.

I will say if you are buying this pump to fill a large fuel tank, like on a boat or race car or really any tank holding more than 5 or 6 gallons, there are certainly faster and more effecient alternatives. However, I am usually filling the gas tank on my ExMark (which holds about 6 gallons) and then the tanks on my Billy Goat blower, power washer, generators and other small tanks and the fuel flow rate is ideal for these smaller tanks.

I have a routine where I put the fuel pump on the ExMark filler tank and start the fuel fill. I then get my pull behind cart out and put the trimmer, back pack blower and other tools needed for the day into the cart. By time I am done getting the cart ready, the fuel tank is full and the pump has shut off. I was concerned about whether or not the pump would shut itself off but it has every time. Plus, I am filling the mower outside so if there is an over flow, its going to be on the lawn and limited to whats left in the fuel jug, which usually is very little.

One of my neighbors commented they bought the pump to refill their late model race car and I can see where it would be slow for that use. Basically, if your items fuel tank is 5 / 6 gallons or smaller in size, this pump is very well suited. If you are looking for a "fuel transfer" pump for larger quantities, you will probably want to consider larger pumps with more speed and capacity..............

If anything happens with the pump, I will post updates.............

Reactions: Yank and Kbar

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
SB,

View attachment 752372
My pumps came with those three adapters. I screwed one of them on to my 5 gallon can and then screwed the pump into that. Was no problem at all.

I would like to find some solid caps like those pictured. The original spouts on my 5 gallon cans are a pain and fuel can slosh out of them during transport. Solid caps to replace the spouts would do the trick for me.

Nice follow-up write up, Sully! I'm going to have to keep an eye open at my Menards for those jugs.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
This is how I do it.
6EC3D1FB-5304-4817-B201-1C7AC92678CC.jpeg

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Here's a pic of my 5 gallon gas can with the pump installed on it. The grey collar is on the pump itself. If you look closely, you can see a black collar at the base of the filler neck. That's an adapter supplied with the pump that I screwed onto the gas can in order to install the pump. Works like a champ.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what cans will work with the pump setup.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Here is what I just invested in, my 15+ year old yellow diesel can was leaking at the spout, and I can’t stand the new ones. This is the 15 gallon can, manual pump, and heavy duty cart, all made in the USA by FLO-FAST.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Here is what I just invested in, my 15+ year old yellow diesel can was leaking at the spout, and I can’t stand the new ones. This is the 15 gallon can, manual pump, and heavy duty cart, all made in the USA by FLO-FAST.
You'll like it. I've had my Flo-Fast pump for several years. I went with two 7.5 gallon jugs that I fill one at a time as needed and swap out. Used an old luggage cart as my trolley.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Reactions: mark02tj and Yank

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a 15 gallon detergent drum and added a Rubbermaid barrel dolly and a 12 volt transfer pump. I also installed a 12 volt power port near the fuel fill. So much easier to refill.
Only cost me $100 for the transfer pump kit.

IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1022.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Details on the 12 volt power port would be nice, looks slick.
The power port is a Marinco #12VRC that I got at West Marine for about $30. I just had to run a wire back to a spare space in my fuse panel. The power port will be also be powering the electric hydraulic valve for my hydraulic backhoe thumb that I'm installing today. I will post some pictures on hydraulics section when I finish it.

315553-18914.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

View attachment 753738

View attachment 753739
I don’t think I could get it out of the truck after filling it up. 15 gallons is too heavy for me.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I don’t think I could get it out of the truck after filling it up. 15 gallons is too heavy for me.
A full 15 gallon container would be just over 100 lbs. That was the main reason I went with the two 7.5 gallon containers. I normally only fill them with 5 gallons but if extra fuel was needed a full container would still only weight 51 lbs.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
That’s where I’m at even with 5 gallon jugs (gasoline). Yeah, I can get them into the truck after filling on the ground but it will cause me 2-3 days of shoulder/elbow/wrist pain afterwards. If only I could leave them in the bed to fill and use my forks to take them off when I got home.

I like the idea of those racing fuel jugs in 2.5 gallon except for 2 issues - it would cost around $100 for 4 of them and also it seems they come in every color except red for some reason.

I’ve been using my metal 5 gallon safety cans of which I have 3 - also have 3 plastic ones. I hate not using what I already have and buying something new. Just have to come up with a way to get them from the ground into the pickup when full.

I get my non-ethanol gas at a little country gas station. These are the old analog pumps - you pump it then go inside and tell the old lady how much you got. If I tried filling them in the back of the truck I’m sure the old lady would quickly shut the pump off on me.

What exactly are the regulations for not filling gas jugs in your truck? Does it only pertain to plastic jugs? I wonder if I could find a regulation that allows you to do it with metal cans and I could print it out.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts