Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn’t know if this was already here but thought I’d start a thread on fun facts.
Like this:

The chicken is the closest living relative to the T Rex
A cubic mile of fog is made up of less than a gallon of water

Stuff like that

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts
etcallhome has posted "fun facts" from time to time, I don't think there is a thread though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd like to post FUN facts but my friends tell me that mine are BORING :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This sounds like a fun thread

Porcupines have between 25,000 and 35,000 quills

Polar bears and caribou have hollow hairs

Polar bears do no shed their fur/hair

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ever see a bird pee? Me neither.

"Like mammals, birds’ kidneys do extract waste from the bloodstream but because birds do not pee, this extracted waste (in the form of uric acid) is combined with their poop rather than excreted separately as urea in urine (yes, urea and uric acid are actually different). And when uric acid is mixed with the more solid waste in the birds’ intestinal tract, the acid dissolves and turns the poop mostly white."

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
Ever see a bird pee? Me neither.

"Like mammals, birds’ kidneys do extract waste from the bloodstream but because birds do not pee, this extracted waste (in the form of uric acid) is combined with their poop rather than excreted separately as urea in urine (yes, urea and uric acid are actually different). And when uric acid is mixed with the more solid waste in the birds’ intestinal tract, the acid dissolves and turns the poop mostly white."
Neat info!

First thing that comes to mind is this is probably why bird poop is so destructive to painted surfaces and such.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Animals that lay eggs don’t have belly buttons
Alaska has the highest percentage of people who walk to work
Beavers can hold their breath for 45 minutes underwater

·
Registered
556 Posts
"The juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock or hunk of coral to cling to and make its home for life. For this task, it has a rudimentary nervous system. When it finds its spot and takes root, it doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it! (It's rather like getting tenure.)"

(From CONSCIOUSNESS EXPLAINED, by Daniel Dennett, p. 177)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts