Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two lots over he has a tractor that he shines and polishes more than a classic car. Always has it on a ramp and cleaning. Always saying his tractor is bigger and faster than my 1025r and that I bought the wrong machine.

Having a couple of Canadian beers (like 5 of your USA light weight beers) and came up with the following. I took out a used bolt and nut (different sizes) and dropped them in his driveway. Went by yesterday and he had his tractor up on a ramp and he wanted me to help find where they went. He is probably still looking today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No harm, injuries or expenses incurred as a result of this prank. What are your best JD related pranks.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Two lots over he has a tractor that he shines and polishes more than a classic car. Always has it on a ramp and cleaning. Always saying his tractor is bigger and faster than my 1025r and that I bought the wrong machine.

Having a couple of Canadian beers (like 5 of your USA light weight beers) and came up with the following. I took out a used bolt and nut (different sizes) and dropped them in his driveway. Went by yesterday and he had his tractor up on a ramp and he wanted me to help find where they went. He is probably still looking today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No harm, injuries or expenses incurred as a result of this prank. What are your best JD related pranks.
What make and model tractor does your neighbor own ??

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If he doesn’t use the tractor as you state how could he believe that the bolt and nut he found in the drive are from it?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts

This guy is a natural. Next time pour about a cup full of used oil under it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What make and model tractor does your neighbor own ??
MF diesel about 45 hp I guess. It is a nice tractor but a bit loud at idle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he doesn’t use the tractor as you state how could he believe that the bolt and nut he found in the drive are from it?
He uses to cut grass and do odd little jobs but after each use he cleans it like a 'fool in love'

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His driveway is paved. I would have find the tractor when he has parked it over some dirt and he is not at home. :good2:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Probably rub the paint off

Be sure to let us know when he sells it, it'll be like new!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The running gear will be pristine but the sheet metal will be bare after he polishes all the paint off. . . I suspect he loves the idea of a tractor but may be scared to actually operate it.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I remember a company VIP that had a new company car and his own parking spot. Someone was putting oil under it and he was raising h&## with the dealer about it being new and leaking.

Later I heard someone asked (maybe the dealer?) if it was leaking at his home garage. Then he was sure someone was parking a beater in his spot on 2nd or 3rd shift.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I remember a company VIP that had a new company car and his own parking spot. Someone was putting oil under it and he was raising h&## with the dealer about it being new and leaking.

Later I heard someone asked (maybe the dealer?) if it was leaking at his home garage. Then he was sure someone was parking a beater in his spot on 2nd or 3rd shift.
Between myself and the girls, we had three VW bugs at one time. The engines were notorious for leaking oil; I'm told that they often leaked on the show room floor. Our garage (built in 1972) has VW oil prints on both sides (near the doors) and on both sides in the front, from her old Cordoba and her old Impala. My daughter wrecked he VW convertible, and it sat in the garage for a couple years and I had it restored and took it to a lot of shows around this area. At one show, a guy had a beautifully restored bug, with the bottom of the pan and engine detailed and all chromed up...and he had placed mirrors underneath to show it off. Some smart azz (who obviously knew something about VW's) walked up, looked at the mirrors, and said "What are those things...oil catchers?"

I laughed my ass off; the car's owner wasn't quite so amused.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
His driveway is paved. I would have find the tractor when he has parked it over some dirt and he is not at home. :good2:
Put the oil in the drain pan and slide it under the tractor, as soon as he walks out to the tractor, hustle over there and start the conversation of "So, did you find the rod bearings were worn like you thought they might be? I see you must have had the oil pan off and drained like you talked about yesterday."........

If you want to take it to the next level, give him an invoice you create from a MF parts source for pan gasket and rod bearings and bolts and tell him you don't mind picking up the parts for him as he requested, but you would appreciate it if he would reimburse you the amount of the invoice as he promised"......

Then his head will be spinning.........

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Between myself and the girls, we had three VW bugs at one time. The engines were notorious for leaking oil; I'm told that they often leaked on the show room floor. Our garage (built in 1972) has VW oil prints on both sides (near the doors) and on both sides in the front, from her old Cordoba and her old Impala. My daughter wrecked he VW convertible, and it sat in the garage for a couple years and I had it restored and took it to a lot of shows around this area. At one show, a guy had a beautifully restored bug, with the bottom of the pan and engine detailed and all chromed up...and he had placed mirrors underneath to show it off. Some smart azz (who obviously knew something about VW's) walked up, looked at the mirrors, and said "What are those things...oil catchers?"

I laughed my ass off; the car's owner wasn't quite so amused.
I was at a small town Corvette Swap meet in Pennsylvania (I think it was actually Butler, but I am not 100%). It was the first year for the event and most of those in attendance were individuals who would bring their used parts and put out a old card table with their odds and ends on it. I do remember that the trip was my introduction to "Drive Through Liquor Stores" which I found particularly "unique", it seemed like a really bad combination to me......anyways........

The guy across the isle from me at the swap meet put a set of early 1963 Hubcaps out in a pile on the ground in front of the table. He put a cardboard sign on them that read "1963 to 1967 wheel covers", which is not correct as the different year Vettes use different wheel covers. They would fit those cars, but they weren't correct for restoration purposes. Actually, they were 63 early only wheel covers and quite valuable.

I heard several people look at them and they weren't sure if the hubcaps were correct. They were all dirty and dusty and just in a heap. Since the price was so low, several people that weren't sure would say to one another "They can't be the right wheel covers as they are too cheap" and they would walk away. The guy who brought the stuff wasn't sure so he couldn't help.

He wanted $200 for them and I walked over and haggled and he sold them for $150. I took them across the aisle, sat there and shined them all up and nice and clean for a couple of hours and put a sign out on them that said "1963 Early Wheel Covers, $850". The same guys who had looked at them when across the aisle came back up to me and ended up buying them for $750.

Then the guy said to me "The guy across the aisle had a set of hubcaps and I thought they were for the 63 early car, but he wasn't sure and I wasn't sure. I see he doesn't have them any more so I guess it doesn't matter."

I felt like saying, "Your right, he doesn't have them. You do" but I didn't say anything....He was happy with his purchase and so was I, that's why I was there, to make money.....It pays to know the details of the correct parts when you are going to be in that realm.......

There was a famous scam that people used to try and run at the big shows like Bloomington, Carlisle, etc. At the very end of the swap meet and car auction, when everyone was packing up to go home late on Sunday, these people would come up to the dealers who would have a lot of cash (there were shows where we would have $25k to $50k all in cash on our trip home, the big shows, even more) and they would say "Hey, I brought these cashiers checks (or money orders) for $5,000 dollars each because I was going to buy a car. (They would usually have several of the cashiers checks or money orders and show you them). They would continue " I didn't get the car I wanted and I spent all my cash and I don't have the cash for the trip home and no gas station or restaurant will be able to cash these for me. If you will give me $3,500 for the $5,000 cashiers check, then I will have cash for the trip home and you will make a profit of $1,500 on the handling of the matter for helping me out."

Problem is, the cashiers checks or money orders were fake and worthless. Occasionally, the smaller merchants or someone would fall for the scam because of their greed. The people I saw get taken were with $1,000 money orders they "paid" $700 for.........It was funny, because the merchant would brag to others "Man, I just made the easiest money of the weekend" and think they had pulled something off when in reality, they were the one's taken...............

When you are going to be swimming where there are sharks, you had better know what you are doing..............or they will eat you, or try to take a big bite out of you............:mocking:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the oil in the drain pan and slide it under the tractor, as soon as he walks out to the tractor, hustle over there and start the conversation of "So, did you find the rod bearings were worn like you thought they might be? I see you must have had the oil pan off and drained like you talked about yesterday."........

If you want to take it to the next level, give him an invoice you create from a MF parts source for pan gasket and rod bearings and bolts and tell him you don't mind picking up the parts for him as he requested, but you would appreciate it if he would reimburse you the amount of the invoice as he promised"......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one . . . mind games

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts

I am glad you're not my neighbor :nunu: my memory is not bad enough , YET, for me to fall for that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dumb

I hope you get the payback you deserve ! Really disappointed with SB . The guy takes care of his tractor and you want to change this ? Get a life .

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I hope you get the payback you deserve ! Really disappointed with SB . The guy takes care of his tractor and you want to change this ? Get a life .
Easy Tiger...everyone is just having some fun with hypotheticals.:laugh:
BTW, the bolts was a great prank!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Good advice- I try to stay out of the water

I was at a small town Corvette Swap meet in Pennsylvania (I think it was actually Butler, but I am not 100%). It was the first year for the event and most of those in attendance were individuals who would bring their used parts and put out a old card table with their odds and ends on it. I do remember that the trip was my introduction to "Drive Through Liquor Stores" which I found particularly "unique", it seemed like a really bad combination to me......anyways........

The guy across the isle from me at the swap meet put a set of early 1963 Hubcaps out in a pile on the ground in front of the table. He put a cardboard sign on them that read "1963 to 1967 wheel covers", which is not correct as the different year Vettes use different wheel covers. They would fit those cars, but they weren't correct for restoration purposes. Actually, they were 63 early only wheel covers and quite valuable.

I heard several people look at them and they weren't sure if the hubcaps were correct. They were all dirty and dusty and just in a heap. Since the price was so low, several people that weren't sure would say to one another "They can't be the right wheel covers as they are too cheap" and they would walk away. The guy who brought the stuff wasn't sure so he couldn't help.

He wanted $200 for them and I walked over and haggled and he sold them for $150. I took them across the aisle, sat there and shined them all up and nice and clean for a couple of hours and put a sign out on them that said "1963 Early Wheel Covers, $850". The same guys who had looked at them when across the aisle came back up to me and ended up buying them for $750.

Then the guy said to me "The guy across the aisle had a set of hubcaps and I thought they were for the 63 early car, but he wasn't sure and I wasn't sure. I see he doesn't have them any more so I guess it doesn't matter."

I felt like saying, "Your right, he doesn't have them. You do" but I didn't say anything....He was happy with his purchase and so was I, that's why I was there, to make money.....It pays to know the details of the correct parts when you are going to be in that realm.......

There was a famous scam that people used to try and run at the big shows like Bloomington, Carlisle, etc. At the very end of the swap meet and car auction, when everyone was packing up to go home late on Sunday, these people would come up to the dealers who would have a lot of cash (there were shows where we would have $25k to $50k all in cash on our trip home, the big shows, even more) and they would say "Hey, I brought these cashiers checks (or money orders) for $5,000 dollars each because I was going to buy a car. (They would usually have several of the cashiers checks or money orders and show you them). They would continue " I didn't get the car I wanted and I spent all my cash and I don't have the cash for the trip home and no gas station or restaurant will be able to cash these for me. If you will give me $3,500 for the $5,000 cashiers check, then I will have cash for the trip home and you will make a profit of $1,500 on the handling of the matter for helping me out."

Problem is, the cashiers checks or money orders were fake and worthless. Occasionally, the smaller merchants or someone would fall for the scam because of their greed. The people I saw get taken were with $1,000 money orders they "paid" $700 for.........It was funny, because the merchant would brag to others "Man, I just made the easiest money of the weekend" and think they had pulled something off when in reality, they were the one's taken...............

When you are going to be swimming where there are sharks, you had better know what you are doing..............or they will eat you, or try to take a big bite out of you............:mocking:
That's good advice and why I try to avoid shark infested waters. I've mostly learned that I'm not smart enough or devious enough (you pick) to swim with the sharks. Even if I'm just wading and looking, I will get bit in the butt so now I try to stay out of those waters. Sometimes I blunder in anyway and that's when I need to really ask if a deal makes sense. CL is a great teaching tool for that.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
640 Posts
I worked with a guy years ago who bought a new Subaru and was bragging about how good his mileage was. So another co-worker started putting 1/2 to 1 gallon of gas a day in the car while it sat in the parking lot. This went on for several weeks. “Dave” wouldn’t shut up about the mileage. It was even better than what he anticipated. So after a few weeks, the co-worker decided he would start taking his gas back...a little each day. Dave immediately shut up about the mileage. So we would bring it up and he wouldn’t talk about it. It spent several days back at the dealership, as he was convinced there was something wrong. Long story short, he was finally told what was going on. He didn’t speak to anyone for a long time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts