Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning folks

we have an going problem with the front drive failing at least twice now(first occurred when it was about 2 years old) . It has been to dealer first time two years ago and it failed again with in a year...back to dealer again and yup failed again.

We HAD to continue to use the tractor (in 2 wd) because of shortage of available units and while using it a noise could be heard coming from the front (ya I know we should not have continue to use it)
I guess my question to you guys is this a common problem with 3320 and what could be the problem with the a re-occurring failure (other than a poor dealer) on this tractor.

We appreciate any help you give

DickT

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
In what way did it fail each time?

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
It is certainly not a common problem. That front axle was used on quite a few models and we rarely hear of any failures.

Like JG asked, what is failing?

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Listening with interest.

Wondering if it is related to proper ballasting / too much stress on the front, or improper wheel size ratios (e.g. not matching the MFWD gear ratio). I've heard the fronts should be 0-5% overspeed but never underspeed with regard to the rears.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Good questions

Listening with interest.

Wondering if it is related to proper ballasting / too much stress on the front, or improper wheel size ratios (e.g. not matching the MFWD gear ratio). I've heard the fronts should be 0-5% overspeed but never underspeed with regard to the rears.
Those are really good questions and here are a couple more suggestions.

As a follow up to above, check the tire sizes for correct size, front and rear. A slight difference in circumference from design specs would put a severe strain on the drive train. I

If you use 4wd on pavement or concrete, that also puts a heck of a strain on the drive train whenever you make a turn.

Finally, I'm guessing the dealer replaced all the seals but if one is bad and leaks a little water into the gear oil, that's deadly on bearings.

Let us know what part(s) were actually failing- that would help a lot.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Those are really good questions and here are a couple more suggestions.

As a follow up to above, check the tire sizes for correct size, front and rear. A slight difference in circumference from design specs would put a severe strain on the drive train. I

If you use 4wd on pavement or concrete, that also puts a heck of a strain on the drive train whenever you make a turn.

Finally, I'm guessing the dealer replaced all the seals but if one is bad and leaks a little water into the gear oil, that's deadly on bearings.

Let us know what part(s) were actually failing- that would help a lot.

Treefarmer
The OP has not yet responded with any details on what the failure actually was or how it was remedied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4WD on 3320

The OP has not yet responded with any details on what the failure actually was or how it was remedied.
Sorry guys for not responding faster..............A little heck-it up here as all the equipment is now put away for winter (this a golf course issue) which we should addressed much sooner like last year.

Just so we all are on same page a little more info. The tires are OEM ( never changed) NO front ballast is used and the tractor only pulls fairway mowing gangs ( that is when a 4wd ISN'T needed.

I don't have access to the invoices at this time so I really have idea what was done as far as repairs all I know it was back to the dealer at least twice for work on the 4wd. Sooner after when engaging the 4wd a serious "grinding noise" could be heard coming from the front end with the 4wd engaged.

It was MUCH appreciated the responses you folks submitted and I THANK YOU.....Also it was good to hear you guys don't think that this is on going problem with the 3320.

After I pay a visit to the dealer (I left this with the owner who is now down south, but who never got around to addressing so I'm trying to )

I'll post more more info after that visit...

Thanks again for trying to help

Dick

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
There's a splined coupling on the FWD driveshaft that has been known to strip-out on occasion. It's exposed and connects the drive shaft to the FWD input shaft.

On my 3320 I blow it out when doing periodic maintenance and then spray some chain lube into the coupling to lubricate it. Easy part to replace IF that's your problem.

Otherwise.........:unknown:

Is your 3320 a Hydrostatic or Power Reverser transmission?

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4WD on 3320

There's a splined coupling on the FWD driveshaft that has been known to strip-out on occasion. It's exposed and connects the drive shaft to the FWD input shaft.

On my 3320 I blow it out when doing periodic maintenance and then spray some chain lube into the coupling to lubricate it. Easy part to replace IF that's your problem.

Good Morning Sir....Where you able to fix it yourself ?

First our JD 3320 is a hydrostatic and Thank you a ton for your reply...Now that makes sense....when your coupling was failing did it make noise like a "rattling" coming from the frontal area, i ask this because our 3320 was, until the last few weeks was making that noise, BUT just recently no noise BUT it still wouldn't go into FWD and when turned on it make terrible noise and was imminently turned off. The unit is up for winter storage now and any further work will just have to wait.

Thanks for your input

Dick

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Good Morning Sir....Where you able to fix it yourself ?

First our JD 3320 is a hydrostatic and Thank you a ton for your reply...Now that makes sense....when your coupling was failing did it make noise like a "rattling" coming from the frontal area, i ask this because our 3320 was, until the last few weeks was making that noise, BUT just recently no noise BUT it still wouldn't go into FWD and when turned on it make terrible noise and was imminently turned off. The unit is up for winter storage now and any further work will just have to wait.

Thanks for your input

Dick
I've never had any problems with the splined FWD driveshaft coupling on my 3320 but know of others who did.

These couplers are fairly loose on the shaft and can "rattle" when dry and worn. It's an easy fix as well.

Depending upon the age of your machine they either use a snap ring or roll pin retainer to center the coupling between the shafts. Remove the retainer. Slide the coupling to one side. Drop the driveshaft and remove the coupling. Inspect the splines on the driveshaft and the FWD input shaft. If they're OK then just replace the coupling. Clean and lubricate periodically going forward and you should be A-OK.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
21 Posts
coupling trouble on my 4400

How do I remove the roll pin retainer? It's a hollow pin in the middle of the coupling. I want to drop everything and get a good look.

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm to impatient and perhaps an idiot. I sprayed it with pb blaster. Put a bit on my cordless drill and set to hammer and it came out smooth and easy. I forgot how rinky dink that set up is. I ordered new shaft, coupling and pins today. It's all around just sloppy. the pinion gear or whatever you call it coming out of the front end shows some wear. I'm just hoping it's of a better hardened metal than the coupllings. Seems those should wear out and break before the internals should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good day we just got around to working on the hydrostatic 3320 FWD problem
sadly the pinion has failed..splines are totally worn away....its going to cost a ton..
i was wondering do you or any one on this great site know of any JD recalls or any "secret" company help on this issue....I ask this because THERE IS NO WAY this pinion should fail BEFORE the drive shaft and or spindled couple ....they MUST fail before the pinion which requires a VERY expensive tear down. It appears to me JD MISSED the heat treatment on this one.
I look forward to ALL help you guys can give
THANKS looking at this..
Dick

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Dick, sorry to hear this...
I no of no recalls, it's not a "safety" issue so I don't think there would be one anyway. Never heard of it happening to other machines, so I don't think it was ongoing issue either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I didn’t see it posted here, is the driven in fwd on hard surfaces, such as asphalt or concrete? If so , that could be causing your problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts