Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know cutting grass is a ways off for most of us but found this video seemed helpful so posting it here..Is any one using the G-6 if so how do you sharpen with the Fusion carbide edge ??:greentractorride:

Jump ahead to 15:00

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I sharpen mine with a right angle grinder with a sanding disc on.Light passes till I get the edge and angle back.I only sharpen 2 times a year mowing 2.5 + acres.

Reactions: Robnik and pcabe5

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Yup, a regular angle grinder with a grinder wheel followed up with a sanding flapper wheel. No need to be perfect, just good enough. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I bring mine inside to my table grinder. Mower blades don’t need to be sharp like a knife blade. I just smooth them up a bit and put them on my trusty nail to check the balance. When they are new, I do think the edge is a little thick. I just have always believed if you get them TOO sharp, you will have to resharpen them more.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
^^^^^^ What they said ^^^^^^ The gator blades are awesome . I have two sets that I alternate with each deck service . As others have said , no need for razor edge . For me I think balance is equally important as sharpness . :bigbeer:

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
I’ve had my Gator blades running 3 seasons now and the edges are stil just like when they were new - have never touched them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as sharpening I also use a grinder to sharpen I was more concerned about the carbide part of the blade ??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen a lot of guys using and building jigs like this 'Yellow Hornet' jig to sharpen blades I plan to do something similar they seem to work nice utube...

hqdefault.jpg

·
Registered
425 Posts
My G6 blades are fairly new this season, but I took 1 1/2” off a 6” stump inadvertently and it didn’t phase the blade. I’ve also hit quite a few large rocks with zero damage to the cutting edges. My 60D MMM doesn’t seem to have a problem with anything. The OEM blades I replaced were really beat up by the previous owner. The Gators appear to be a great investment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts