Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread because I got off-topic on the Subcompact thread about "what you did with you John Deere today".

On the subject of model railroads (where I use my 1026R with front end loader to level the grade for the track), I run live steam locomotive models.
This is not to be confused with electric motor powered models that look like the prototype steam engines.

My previous videos and photos may have been deceptive in that I did not "take off the lid" to display the inner details of a live steam model locomotive. To correct this deficiency, I am posting these photos to show that in fact, this model locomotive is powered by butane, which boils the water which creates the steam pressure (about 40 psi) which runs the locomotive.
No track power, no batteries, no smoke and mirrors (well maybe a little bit of smoke). Just live steam. :)

That's probably more than you wanted to know about the "Dark Side" of G-gauge model railroading.
Live steam G-gauge is a very small percentage of the total G-gauge model train market.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Now that is really cool! :good2: I never knew these models existed, and yes, when I saw your video, I did think electric, and thought it was cool then. Now that you tell me it is steam, much much cooler. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, Looks like you have a really nice place and model setup, enjoyed your pics and video.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don,

That is COOL!!!!! I always tell my wife that one day I'm going to put one in. We have the area, and I even have a place to either build a covered siding to store it, or run it in through a basement window. I would go with the size you have. The larger scale models that a human can ride on are too expensive for me. I'm talking the ones where the engines are maybe 3' long, not the ones that are 10' long.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
That is pretty cool.
My apology for stating it was electric,but most live steamers are pretty loud,and usually display a decent amount of exhaust. Watching your Labor Day video it was puffing the whole time.Now that's what I'm used to seeing with live steamers

Greg

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is very interesting. I haven't seen live steam in this size before. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is pretty cool.
My apology for stating it was electric,but most live steamers are pretty loud,and usually display a decent amount of exhaust.
Greg
Greg,

No problem. My video wasn't much on showing the live steam aspect. No chuff, no steam plume, no pressure gauges, etc.

You were probably looking for something more like this:

With these little live steam model locomotives, you have to have cool humid air to get a nice steam plume. The video I posted was taken on a 100 degree Texas day. There are also details of the locomotive superheater design that will make more impressive looking steam plumes. (More superheater, less plume)

These G-gauge live steam models don't make much noise when they run. To "overcome' that deficiency, some of the guys put chuffers on the exhaust stacks to make it louder. I don't do chuffers on my locomotives. But I have been thinking about putting a glass pack muffler on my John Deere. :laugh:

If you really want to get into it, check out

http://www.mylargescale.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

There is a forum on Live Steam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts