Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up some -20f washer fluid for ALL four tires. Does anyone know how many gallons are required? I was estimating 25 gal. ?

Sent from the mountains

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Your gained ballast weight should be less than with RimGuard but it's explained later in the same thread.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
I believe it is somewhere around 8 gals without looking at Kennys reply.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is 75% fluid fill typical or will 85-90% still leave enough room for adding enough air pressure. I think I'm running around 22 front 24 rear psi

Sent from the mountains

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Is 75% fluid fill typical or will 85-90% still leave enough room for adding enough air pressure. I think I'm running around 22 front 24 rear psi

Sent from the mountains
The dealer that filled my tires with rim guard filled them full. Had rimguard shooting out of the valve stem while he inserted the valve core. Probably at least 90%. So, I think I got at least 100lb per tire. (~9 gal).

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
75% liquid fill is what most tractor manufacturers recommend. I wouldn't recommend any more than that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the fronts loaded today. Took about 3 1/2 gal with the tires still mounted. Could have got 4 or a little more if they were off & laying down. I wanted to be able to add or decrease air without it coming out. @ 20 psi now. It did make a difference as my ground was a little soft and dug a few ruts with R4 tires on sharp uphill corners.
I didn't want to load rears till I get the spacers on this week.
I used a cheap hand pump , but will use a pressure tank or electric pump for rears.
Every 1/2 gal I would bend the tubing to cut off and use the quick disconnect ring to pull hose out. Then stick end in jug, open and release the air. Then simply stick hose back in pump and continue.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444004258.865740.jpg

Sent from the mountains

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I'll be loading mine in a few weeks when my spacers come and I do my servicing. I tried to buy the proper fittings from Gemplers, only cost about $15 but the shipping to Canada was going to be $70. That wasn't going to happen so I bought one of these:
IMG_5574.jpg

Took out this dodad to allow the fluid to flow into the stem with the core removed:
IMG_5575.jpg

I adapted from the air gun to a hose fitting:
IMG_5576.jpg

Tested it with water and a submersible pump and it should work great:
IMG_5578.jpg IMG_5579.jpg

The nice thing is the air gun has the air release valve that will allow me to "burp" the air out as I go. I'll either use that submersible pump or a small drill pump that I have.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a nice set up carvel. Be prepared that when you burp the air you will get some fluid spray too.

Sent from the mountains

Reactions: Carvel Loafer

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I want to do this and fill my tires with fluid.
I can get RV antifreeze for $2.00 and the it is rated to -50°F.
Does anyone know if RV antifreeze would be much different than windshield washer fluid?

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I want to do this and fill my tires with fluid.
I can get RV antifreeze for $2.00 and the it is rated to -50°F.
Does anyone know if RV antifreeze would be much different than windshield washer fluid?
That is cheap. RV antifreeze is 5.00 a gallon here on sale. There are two types of RV antifreeze to my understanding. One has alcohol like WW fluid and the other is food grade propylene glycol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Got this for my tractor tire fluid fill. 25 gallons. I just have to wait for the adapter to get here.

This weighs in at 8.5lbs according to the store scales.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Got this for my tractor tire fluid fill. 25 gallons. I just have to wait for the adapter to get here.

This weighs in at 8.5lbs according to the store scales.
Yes, but much does that bottle weigh? Water weighs 8.34lbs/gallon, so you can easily assume that fluid is between there. As a guess, could be as high as 8.4lbs/gallon depending on what additives are in it.

Mr. Moose

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I use RV antifreeze to winterize my pressure washer and I noticed this year that it says only good on plastic, yet bottles I bought in the past said good for both plastic and metal. I'm not sure what it will do to metal or why the difference.:dunno:

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Thanks. I checked the label before I bought the product. It is good for plastic and metal.

I used a similar product I already had a gallon of to winterize my pump on my Northstar spray tank about a month ago.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
From what I understand the RV antifreeze WILL freeze, or more like slush. But unlike water expanding , it contracts.
I'm not sure what washer fluid weighs, but I just loaded R4 fronts in JD1025 and made some ruts in the yard. I may be taking some out & just doing rears with spacers. Fronts took just under
3 1/2 gal. Ea.

Sent from the mountains

Reactions: ilmo

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Thanks Tnman for your post above.
The picture below says what you stated about the slushy part, but we seldom get below 0°F.

If we do reach 0°F or below, it is usually just for a few days. I also keep my tractor in a warm garage for the winter. The amount of time I would spend continuously outside with the tractor would be no more than 4 hours at a time. So I don't figure that would be enough time for this to get very slushy in that short amount of time.
What I do like about this product though, is the corrosion protection.
So, I have decided to go ahead and stick with this for my tire fluid fill. If I should have problems later, this winter will tell if made a mistake and I can always remove the antifreeze and use something else later.
Rim Guard® is not readily available around here and it looks messy if you have a problem with a tire later on.
Windshield washer fluid has water added.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
My boiler chemical guy says I should add a little molybdenum to the WWF for metal protection. I might do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts