Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has one and who can recommend one for me. I had a bear visit last night and critters every night and I want to see just what is out there when I am sound asleep. The critters stir up and dig in my compost every night and I am looking for a reasonably priced night visioned, motion sensor camera I can mount on a tree above the compost pile. Any recommendation is appreciated and I will share pictures here.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I recommend either the Cabella's or Bass Pro game cameras. Each have different models with features that you may want or can live without. I have a higher end Cabella's model with an on board LCD screen for previewing your pictures, and two Bass Pro models without this feature. I like the on board LCD. Both work well during the day and at night, but the Cabella's one is better. I paid $ 230 for the Cabella's, and $100 on sale for the two Bass Pro cameras.

Basically the more you are willing to pay the better your results, but I see no need for anything over 8 megapixels.

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
I have Bushnell. I'll post night time pictures from it

Attachments

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Bushnell. I'll post night time pictures from it
Looks like the action shots will blurr. Is that typical? What price range for the bushnell. I appreciate seeing pictures of what each camera has taken!

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Looks like the action shots will blurr. Is that typical? What price range for the bushnell. I appreciate seeing pictures of what each camera has taken!
On when real close to the camera. The buck was a couple of yards away. List was about $200, but bought for about 1/2 that watching internet sales.

Here are some day time shots:

Attachments

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
I just recently bought this Browning Cam
Browning® Recon Force FHD 10MP Trail Camera : Cabela's

I'm on the road, but can share some pics when I get back home midweek.

I've also got older Moultrie, while it takes good pics, it also takes lots of pictures of anything that moves, including grass in the wind.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have a few cuddeback cameras. Not sure which models I have as all 4 are different cams. They all take good day pics. At night one hardly works do to a poor / weak flash. 2 take good pics and one takes very good pics.

The one that works the best has the long range IR flash, 1/4 second trigger speed and is 20MP.

Cdy00016.JPG Cdy00057.JPG Cdy00047.JPG Cdy00040.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I have one of the cheap Moultrie units - paid $50 for it off-season. Works great and a set of batteries lasts about 9 months even with taking a TON of pictures.

I can clearly make out opossums, raccoons, coyotes, cats, deer, turkey, etc. at a range of about 15 yds at night.

Behind the deer in this pic you can see my hunting blind - that's at about 30 yds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
I just recently bought this Browning Cam
Browning® Recon Force FHD 10MP Trail Camera : Cabela's

I'm on the road, but can share some pics when I get back home midweek.

I've also got older Moultrie, while it takes good pics, it also takes lots of pictures of anything that moves, including grass in the wind.
I had the same problem with the wind blowing grass. First time I put my camera out last year it took 10,000 pictures, filled the SD card, and drained brand new batteries. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I had to move that camera and get new batteries. I think the SD card was 16GB :dunno: (camera is stored at the farm barn, so I can't easily check)

Of the 10,000 pictures I think I had 40 of turkeys and the rest blowing grass.

·
Registered
22,736 Posts
I have one of the cheap Moultrie units - paid $50 for it off-season. Works great and a set of batteries lasts about 9 months even with taking a TON of pictures.

I can clearly make out opossums, raccoons, coyotes, cats, deer, turkey, etc. at a range of about 15 yds at night.

Behind the deer in this pic you can see my hunting blind - that's at about 30 yds.
Thanks for that. My local gun shop has the cheap Moultrie cameras on sale right now for $40. I figured this would be good enough for a first one to see how I like the idea.

I don't necessarily need to see deer or turkey with the camera - I see enough from the windows of my house. But am still curious what else lurks around. Also I would like it as a pseudo security cam for 4-wheelers coming across the creek onto my property.

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
On when real close to the camera. The buck was a couple of feet away. List was about $200, but bought for about 1/2 that watching internet sales.

Here are some day time shots:
Too late to EDIT :banghead: the buck was a couple of feet away, NOT yards. Oops, my BAD :banghead:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a couple Moultries. I think I paid $120 for each. I used to have 2 really nice Primo's cams but someone stole them :mad:

Here is a pic from the Moultrie.

11-23 PICT0013.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Thanks for that. My local gun shop has the cheap Moultrie cameras on sale right now for $40. I figured this would be good enough for a first one to see how I like the idea.

I don't necessarily need to see deer or turkey with the camera - I see enough from the windows of my house. But am still curious what else lurks around. Also I would like it as a pseudo security cam for 4-wheelers coming across the creek onto my property.
You probably can't mount one high out of reach without a ladder to prevent theft/vandalism, so you might want to get a lock box, or try and conceal it. If you have trespassers, I would worry about theft/vandalism.

·
Registered
22,736 Posts
You probably can't mount one high out of reach without a ladder to prevent theft/vandalism, so you might want to get a lock box, or try and conceal it. If you have trespassers, I would worry about theft/vandalism.
Yeah, I know. I was spotting out some possible camera sites last week when we had our dog-in-the-creek episode so that was aborted.

There are a couple trees that I could mount it to but to be hidden there would be small sapling branches in the sight of the camera which I would think would keep on triggering it. And no, I don't want to have to haul and climb a ladder each time......

Will have to think some more on this.....

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback so far, keep them coming. I will give a local souvenir to the best suggestion! Theft is not a concern for me because the camera will be visible from my living room and I know for a fact that the owner is a loose cannon and has guns!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts

This is the one I have - got it for 50% off after hunting season ended.

Moultrie A-5 Game Spy Camera-730960 - Gander Mountain

Mine shoots straight across that 30 yd alley at the back of my property and catches everything. You can also set it to take pictures (with movement present) every 1 min, 5 min or 30 min so that you don't end up with so many pics of blowing grass. I find that's only a problem if the grass is REALLY moving a ton, is tall, and is fairly close to the camera.

If you set it up for security of 4-wheelers, this one is fairly camouflaged as well (but some of the nicer ones darn near look like trees and REALLY blend in.)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Browning

My kids gave me a Browning camera for Christmas because I kept finding trash at the entrance to my property. It's worked well as I now have a record of people at the gate. I will say that it is very sensitive and I had to move it quite a ways back from the road as every car/truck going by triggered it. I had over 4,000 pix in a two week period. :banghead:

The truck was daytime, deer at night.

IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2480.JPG

Treefarmer

·
Registered
22,736 Posts
This is the one I have - got it for 50% off after hunting season ended.

Moultrie A-5 Game Spy Camera-730960 - Gander Mountain

Mine shoots straight across that 30 yd alley at the back of my property and catches everything. You can also set it to take pictures (with movement present) every 1 min, 5 min or 30 min so that you don't end up with so many pics of blowing grass. I find that's only a problem if the grass is REALLY moving a ton, is tall, and is fairly close to the camera.

If you set it up for security of 4-wheelers, this one is fairly camouflaged as well (but some of the nicer ones darn near look like trees and REALLY blend in.)
That's exactly the one that is on sale - A-5 Gen 2 it says.

Your post gives me some more confidence that I will be able to configure it to work for me.

Capture_3.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts