Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this gantry crane so I can move stuff around in my 14 x 20 shed. Put 2 I beams across the top plate and then welded 1/2” plates on each end of the main beam to hold the trolly. This is the best thing I did for storage so far. I put a half ton air chain hoist on a trolly and can move stuff anywhere in the shed.

Made a bracket to pick up the snow blower and hang it on the wall for the off season

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
well done sir........i am curious about the rolling assembly at the ends of the bridge .....would love to see pictures of the completed fabrication and roller set up.....love the air hoist also....:bigthumb:

we call this type crane a "underhung bridge crane"

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will try to remember to take a few more pics tomorrow of the rollers. I bought a jet I beam trolly for each end and put a half on each end of the end plate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks......... looks like you took apart a hoist trolly and used each half to make the rollers at each end ????? i can see the flanged wheels i think does it roll ok without binding ???
That’s exactly what I did. 1/2 ton jet dolly. It rolls very smooth with no binding. You just need to put bracing on the 2 cross beams to keep them from spreading.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That’s exactly what I did. 1/2 ton jet dolly. It rolls very smooth with no binding. You just need to put bracing on the 2 cross beams to keep them from spreading.
great idea to save $ and height.......those rollers are normally tapered so they would want to spread the beams ....in addition to braceing the beams you might also fabricate a stop that goes to the other side of the lower beam flange just as a safety (could even use the bolts)

you certainly took advantage of every inch of headroom you had availible

great inovative setup for sure though thanks for showing us

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Made a bracket to pick up the snow blower and hang it on the wall for the off season
Holy crap, you hung your snow blower on the wall.:good2::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Heck of a nice idea for your shed! Nice fabbin' too!:good2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is getting old but this is very similar to something I would love to do. Was hoping to build a big shed when we buy some land soon but might be lucky if we get a house on it first. I think the double movement is a fantastic Idea and really simple. Was thinking of doing something along the same lines so it's great to see one done. Great work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts