Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I want garage door openers. I really don't think I NEED them but think I would like to have them. We have no problems opening the doors by hand now. I have never had a garage and was not planning to use it for the car but as time passes I find my self using it when I can. 3 Liftmasters belt drive installed for under $1,300.00. Is it worth the investment? Again I have never had a garage not to mention a door opener. I would install a key pad on the out side. I do know locking the doors with keys is a PITA and more times (most of the time) than not I don't. Comments!

IMG_0104_1.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, this is not a free for all to spend my money.:lol: Just an honest inquiry.

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
I vote YES! And do them yourself for about $600. I keep a remote on my gator, tractor and motorcycle, it is very nice to be able to open/close them without getting off.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I keep my truck inside and wouldnt be without an opener. I wouldnt put a opener on a door thats seldom used. I have Craftsman openers, they are 15+ years old and have worked great.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All three doors are used a lot just not so much for vehicles. I try to keep the center bay clear and use it on occasion for a vehicle. Tractor is in the right side, Garden tractor, Toro Z-Master, Gator and other stuff in the left bay. I do not see ever having more than one bay open for vehicles. What is driving all this is the doors are always locked whenever the door is down. Would be nice to be able to close the doors from the house also. I have never had to deal with thieves in our area but as in other areas, it is becoming more prevalent.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
I agree with Kennyd do them yourself and save a big amount.. Don't know about the others I have Craftsman , 2 of them are over 20 yrs old , the third one is at least 10 yrs old. Its nice to pull up with the tractor and be able to back in garage without getting off the tractor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Absolutely install them. If you can do it yourself great and save some money. If you want to have someone else install them, then do so, you won't regret the investment.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Absolutely put garage door openers on and do it yourself to save money. My Craftsman door openers were made by Liftmaster. I have no idea who makes them for Sears now.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I vote yes on the garage door openers. I have two Craftsman that are almost 18 years old and would replace them in a heartbeat should the need arise. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Gizmo:

I agree on having openers. You could install them yourself and connect an interlock that would only allow the door to open if the Roll-Gard was folded.

Don

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had Craftsman on the garage doors in my previous house and have Liftmaster now. I never had a problem with the Craftsman but the Liftmaster is much nicer IMO. Both locations we had a living space above the doors and the Liftmaster is much quieter and smoother. You knew someone was home when the Craftsman operated. Just another point to consider. The Craftsman was screw drive and the Liftmaster is belt.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I will never be without garage door openers! I have a 16' high 20' wide door on my barn, push a button and up it goes.

I may be in the minority here, but I would DEFINITELY have a professional install them. There is some high pressure components in those and if you slip up, a lot of things can happen very quickly and you can get hurt badly.

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but I would DEFINITELY have a professional install them. There is some high pressure components in those and if you slip up, a lot of things can happen very quickly and you can get hurt badly.

I must respectfully disagree, if the door itself is installed correct so it operates easily (relatively) by hand, then you dont need to even touch any the of the springs or parts under tension to install an opener.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ordered 3 Raynor Aviators today from a local family owned business. The Aviator from Raynor is made by Chamberlain and is the same unit as the Lift Master 3280 1/2 HP belt drive opener. $1,250.00 installed. I had no intentions of installing the units. Sort of like what Martian said, there are people out there that do it every day. Not to mention I have had three shots of cortisone in my right should in the last 35 days and couldn't do it if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Well I ordered 3 Raynor Aviators today from a local family owned business. The Aviator from Raynor is made by Chamberlain and is the same unit as the Lift Master 3280 1/2 HP belt drive opener. $1,250.00 installed. I had no intentions of installing the units. Sort of like what Martian said, there are people out there that do it every day. Not to mention I have had three shots of cortisone in my right should in the last 35 days and couldn't do it if I wanted to.
Congrats! Pictures, of course:thumbup1gif:

I must respectfully disagree, if the door itself is installed correct so it operates easily (relatively) by hand, then you dont need to even touch any the of the springs or parts under tension to install an opener.
Too each their own. I've seen and heard of plenty of people getting hurt working on them. I hate to say it, but you can take the chance, because I'm not!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions that were given without saying, just do it regardless of the cost. As far a pictures go, if all goes well and if the wife lets me back in the house to get the camera, Friday . Friday is a long way off so I should be good by then.

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a decent deal. Did you get your wall pad to go with them?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds to me like you got a decent deal. Did you get your wall pad to go with them?
I did. One external keypad that will work all three doors, 3 remotes each will work all three doors, 3 internal Premium Multi-Functional Control Panels and one of these thingamajigs to use when power goes out. I have no external walk through door and was too cheap to buy the battery backed up openers, which would probably fail when I really needed it.
universal-garage-door-opener-key-release-lock.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another question. Will a single 2x6 board spanning 8 ft and laying flat hold a garage door opener? I think the door opener weighs about 45lbs. Actually I know it will but will it eventually sag?

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Yeah, it will sag. Glue and screw a 2x4 or 2x6 to the back on edge forming a inverter T to add support, it's called a stiff-back around here...

So your trusses are 8' apart?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts