Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the garage last night to get some Sprite out of the refrigerator for a mixed drink and discovered a lot of soda cans had exploded from being froze. All the sailor soda cans were fine.

It has been around -6 for a couple mornings in a row and probably close to that temperature in the garage.
I didn't think this would happen being the soda was in the refrigerator???
Will the cold temperatures ruin the refrigerator?

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
Fridge should be fine. But they aren't heaters :lol: When the ambient temps drop below freezing, they can become freezers even though they aren't running. The thermostat tells the fridge when to cool, no option for heat.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that they would hold out a certain amount of cold, after all they hold cold in. Maybe I have an extra cheap refrigerator.

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
I would think that they would hold out a certain amount of cold, after all they hold cold in. Maybe I have an extra cheap refrigerator.
Insulation slows the transfer of heat. It doesn't stop it. The better the insulation, the slower the heat transfer. In your case the heat (even a measure of cold air has a measure of heat in it) slowly crept out of the fridge and was lost to it's surrounding environment. -6 to 35* is a large enough of a temp spread to make this quicker. Because there is no way to generate heat inside to maintain the 35* setpoint, eventually the fridge will get colder and colder.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I have a cheap, office sized frige in my garage; holds about 30 cans of beer or Coke. I have to turn it up to max cool in the summer, and it will cool satisfactorily; in winter, it will freeze up a soft drink. I always attributed that to poor insulation. I think it's more a factor of the setting max setting because I also have a heater in the garage, and it never gets below about 40 degrees in there.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think diesel nailed it. The ongoing cold spell is probably the reason. The inside of the refrigerator just kept getting colder and colder.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This cold thing is the reason that most people around here have their deep freezers in the garage. Near to no energy cost for about 6 months to keep your food stuff frozen!
I'm slow!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The cold also explains why the freezer section in my garage fridge warms up in the winter. My cheap and I think many refrigerator/freezers have their compressors controlled by the cooler section. There is a mechanical diverter that channels most of the cold air into the freezer section, then when the freezer is cold enough it switches to the cooler. When the cooler is then cold enough the compressor stops. During the winter, the compressor needs to run less or when cold enough, not at all. So if the garage is in the mid 30* range, the cooler section never turns on the compressor, hence the freezer never gets a chance to cool either. So basically my freezer section ends up at the same temperature as the cooler during the winter months.

When I bought the fridge, they told me that it wouldn't work well in the garage, either I didn't listen, or I was too cheap to buy a more expensive unit :flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:
so I live and learn. Next time, I guess I listen better. :laugh:

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Went out to the garage last night to get some Sprite out of the refrigerator for a mixed drink and discovered a lot of soda cans had exploded from being froze. All the sailor soda cans were fine.

It has been around -6 for a couple mornings in a row and probably close to that temperature in the garage.
I didn't think this would happen being the soda was in the refrigerator???
Will the cold temperatures ruin the refrigerator?
I know that I will regret asking this question, but what is sailor soda? I'm guessing beer, but remember I was in the Army, not the Navy. I been retired from the Army for eight years now, but as I recall we just called it beer. It was quicker to order using just one word.:laugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know that I will regret asking this question, but what is sailor soda? I'm guessing beer, but remember I was in the Army, not the Navy. I been retired from the Army for eight years now, but as I recall we just called it beer. It was quicker to order using just one word.:laugh:
Yep... I'm betting you will regret it as will the rest of us! :laugh: :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, beer. Navy!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
A freezer out in the cold can ruin a compressor if the oil gets too cold unless there is a heater on it, almost as bad as losing your beer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Problem is in my life is most "Garage" Fridges are 'hand me downs', from a previous life! Poor Insulation, Moderate cooling at best etc. Don't know many people that buy a new energy efficient unit for a garage......... ~Scotty

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point Scotty.
Problem is, the refrigerator now in our garage came from our kitchen when we remodeled.:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Ours came from the kitchen remodel. Gave out a few yrs later, and when new one was delivered, was advised to put ref any place except the garage. Was told new one might last 3 yrs if kept in the garage..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts