Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good garden hose nozzle, not a pile of crap. It's extremely hard to look at them online and discover one that's actually good. You can't examine them, only what they tell you. Hard to believe some of the reviews as well.

Local stores only seem to carry junk. Do they actually maker a quality nozzle anymore?
I'd really appreciate if you posted a pic and even a link of the garden hose nozzle you found that you like and works well. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Are you looking for a super duper fancy pants multi-head nozzle or just a high quality old school design? Assuming you want the squeeze style and not the turn-type fire hose style, check out the Gilmour nozzles.

These usually cost a whopping $5-6 at the hardware store and come with a lifetime warranty. I like that they have a standard thread at the nozzle for attachments.

I currently have two of these. One is over 10 years old and the other is 5 years old and both of them work like new despite rough handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I feel your grief, finding a good quality nozzle is next to impossible these days.

I stay away from all of those where you spin the front to select one of a half dozen spray patterns. O-rings start to give out too quickly and the least little bit if junk in the water starts to clog the ports (I am on well water and my outdoor taps branch off before the indoor filtration).

Lately I only buy 2 types: a single pattern watering wand for potted plants and a straight twist-to-adjust, non trigger nozzle. I use a full flow on/off valve at the end of the hose with the twist nozzle to control on/off and volume.

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The first two links are Gilmour. Either they must be good or they are popular.

I'd prefer the standard nozzle, nothing fancy. Just a good working nozzle that can handle being dropped, drug through the dirt, stepped on, and work without sticking months later. :good2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm on year 2 of one of these, but it's time for a new one. This one looks updated a bit from the one that I have.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gilmour-Zinc-Rear-Trigger-Dial-Nozzle/4005903

View attachment 635360
I have this Gilmour selectable one as well and have used it for at least two years. Been dropped and dragged around and hasn't broken the selector yet. It is a hefty unit as far as feel in the hand which I like.

I also use the bullseye hose nozzles for tasks that require a strong stream of water such as cleaning the a.c. condenser coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found that the 'Little Big Shot' (looks similar to Bulls Eye nozzle) works great. Simple twist operation which can be done with 1 hand once you remember that it has left hand treads. Solid brass, made in US by Disabled Veterans, what more could you want.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I’ve been through the same thing. The only one that has lasted me forever is all brass.

Maybe not as convienient but I don’t care.
I agree completely. That's why I asked which style is preferred. For the fire hose twist-style the one like you show is hard to beat and lasts forever. I have one of those myself that must be 25 years old.

This style is a bit more difficult to buy on-line as there are a lot of brass plated tin imitations out there. You really have to pick one up and feel the weight to be sure.

I do believe Gilmour makes a solid brass nozzle that costs around $12.00

·
Registered
21,517 Posts
I agree completely. That's why I asked which style is preferred. For the fire hose twist-style the one like you show is hard to beat and lasts forever. I have one of those myself that must be 25 years old.

This style is a bit more difficult to buy on-line as there are a lot of brass plated tin imitations out there. You really have to pick one up and feel the weight to be sure.

I do believe Gilmour makes a solid brass nozzle that costs around $12.00
This subject is timely for me. Attempting to wash my truck this morning was a battle. I have really low pressure and flow from my really old Gould’s pump. With the cheap plastic nozzle I have in the hose right now I couldn’t get enough distance in the spray to reach across the truck.

I remembered I had a couple of the old grass ones out in the barn. I think these will control the flow better for me.

Smaller one on the left says Gilmour Somerset PA USA and the large says Sherman Diamond. I would guess these are at least 25 years old I’d not a lot older.

Going to try them out after lunch. I already put new washers in them.

3CB03EE9-0E64-466B-8F84-DB9BA34FD728.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’ve been through the same thing. The only one that has lasted me forever is all brass.

View attachment 635366

Maybe not as convienent but I don’t care.
That's what I meant by "straight twist-to-adjust, non trigger nozzle". Just add a full flow, on/off valve right behind it to adjust flow rate.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
the Gilmore factory is not far from me-just on top of the mountain as we say. now i don't know if they are still there or not:dunno:

Xman -can probably tell us-as he lives closer than i do to the town, :think:i'm thinking they moved some yrs ago. but not sure.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
the Gilmore factory is not far from me-just on top of the mountain as we say. now i don't know if they are still there or not:dunno:

Xman -can probably tell us-as he lives closer than i do to the town, :think:i'm thinking they moved some yrs ago. but not sure.
The Gilmour factory is now in China.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Are you looking for a super duper fancy pants multi-head nozzle or just a high quality old school design? Assuming you want the squeeze style and not the turn-type fire hose style, check out the Gilmour nozzles.

These usually cost a whopping $5-6 at the hardware store and come with a lifetime warranty. I like that they have a standard thread at the nozzle for attachments.

I currently have two of these. One is over 10 years old and the other is 5 years old and both of them work like new despite rough handling.

These are the best. I recommend these or any other brand that looks like these.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
The Gilmour factory is now in China.
thanks-- ok-wasn't quite sure where it ended up at.

the same town lost the Coleman camper trailer place--yrs ago-they was still there-but was down sized a lot. i knew a lot of people back in the early 80's who worked there then.:good2:

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I've yet to find a good new one. We found a couple of old sprayers in the barn. Those work great. Not like the newer water saver ones.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

View attachment 635366

Maybe not as convienent but I don’t care.
I have 2 of these 20 plus years old. The warden doesn't like them for watering her plants so I put therm up so I'd have them when I needed them. The only question would be where I put therm. Right now I couldn't tell you if you put a gun to my head. :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts