Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide. I own a 6 acre lot. 1/3 of it is woods, 1/3 a prairie grass, 1/3 is lawn. I am in the market for a John deere garden tractor. I will be using it to mow lawn, blow snow, and cut paths in the prairie. I can not decide between a new x530 or the x540. The difference in price from the dealer with the 47" snowblower, weights, chains, and 54" deck is $800. Is the x540 worth the extra $800 to have the high backseat, liquid cooled, and tilt steering? I have never had a l/c mower. To make my decision more difficult there is a used x720 with a 62" deck at the dealer with 60hours that is in excellent shape. Is the x720 too much for what I need? With the x720 could I get away with a blade instead of a blower? Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome to GTT Topher.

How much is the X720 as 60-hours is nothing? Personally I'd go with the X720.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While the 530 & 540 are very nice tractors the 720 would have several advantages. A few things I can think of off hand are: Horizontal shaft engine, fuel injection, shaft driven PTO, hydraulic hookups for accessories, stronger hydro transmission & the ability to add a 3 point hitch and a rear 540 PTO. That opens many options to add useful equipment in the future.
I have a X748 & a 355D. The 748 is the same size as the 720 only all wheel drive & a diesel, the 355D is closer in size to the 530 & 540 only older & a 2 cylinder diesel. I enjoy both tractors but if I could have only 1 it would definetly be the 748.

Another Wisconsin member,
Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New 2013 x530 with snowblower package $8000, the 2013 x540 with same package $8800, the 2012 x720 with the 60 hours and 62" deck $8500 with snowblower package $12200. The 12,200 is more than I wanted to spend. Would love the x720 but I think I will have to settle for the 530 or 540. Is the liquid cooled 540 worth the $800?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i just bought a new x730 w/a 60" deck for 10,500.00. i do not know what a blower sells for, but it sounds like you should do some shopping around before you buy. i run a 54" blade on my x485 and my x730, i have not had any problems pushing snow. we had 10" of snow today and it handled it with no issue, plus you can grade, stone/dirt with a blade. the 2 stage blower they sell now is not nearly as well made as the old single stages, and #47 two-stages of years ago. i have an N.O.S. #47 on my old 420, and it has set unused since i bought my x485 several years ago. until this year we have not had enough snow to use it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
New 2013 x530 with snowblower package $8000, the 2013 x540 with same package $8800, the 2012 x720 with the 60 hours and 62" deck $8500 with snowblower package $12200. The 12,200 is more than I wanted to spend. Would love the x720 but I think I will have to settle for the 530 or 540. Is the liquid cooled 540 worth the $800?
it sounds like a good price for the new 500 series tractors. a blower for the 700 series is 3700.00? other than the hitch and drive, it is the same blower as they use for the 500 series and the small utilities. like i said, it is not built near as well as the old blower it replaced. you can put a blade on the x700 series for 1200.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it sounds like a good price for the new 500 series tractors. a blower for the 700 series is 3700.00? other than the hitch and drive, it is the same blower as they use for the 500 series and the small utilities. like i said, it is not built near as well as the old blower it replaced. you can put a blade on the x700 series for 1200.00.
How does the x700 handle 6+ inches of snow with a 55" blade? If you buy the blade you have to get the quick hitch attachment in the front and the hyduralic kit right? Can you put the quick attach weights on the back of the x700s or do you have to buy the bracket also?
Thanks for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Jerry said it better than I could when it comes to the advantages of the X7xx series to the X5xx series. Although the X7xx may be more than you want to spend initially; this is going to be a long term purchase...choose wisely, and think long term.

Water cooled engines are always superior to air cooled.

Reactions: hutchley

·
Registered
48 Posts
How does the x700 handle 6+ inches of snow with a 55" blade? If you buy the blade you have to get the quick hitch attachment in the front and the hyduralic kit right? Can you put the quick attach weights on the back of the x700s or do you have to buy the bracket also?
Thanks for all of the help.
we got 10" yesterday and i plowed most of the neighbors out as well as myself. it handled it great. i have 10hrs. on my new x730, and they are all plowing snow. the blade assy. is sold as 3 pieces, the blade, the hitch, and the hyd.angle kit. like i said, right around 1200.00. the rear weight bracket is 150.00, and it will take 6 suitcase weights. i run 6 rear weights, and 150 lb. starter weights sets in each wheel. i do not run chains, and i can plow whatever needs plowing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please help me decide. I own a 6 acre lot. 1/3 of it is woods, 1/3 a prairie grass, 1/3 is lawn. I am in the market for a John deere garden tractor. I will be using it to mow lawn, blow snow, and cut paths in the prairie. I can not decide between a new x530 or the x540. The difference in price from the dealer with the 47" snowblower, weights, chains, and 54" deck is $800. Is the x540 worth the extra $800 to have the high backseat, liquid cooled, and tilt steering? I have never had a l/c mower. To make my decision more difficult there is a used x720 with a 62" deck at the dealer with 60hours that is in excellent shape. Is the x720 too much for what I need? With the x720 could I get away with a blade instead of a blower? Any help would be great.
I've been contemplating the same question since most of my equipment is 1984 or older and it just doesnt "fit" anymore. Ive never had a GT, Ive always had a CUT and a LT, and the 530/540 platform had my eye but not having a machine in this size I got a cheap GT (similar in weight to a 530/540) this summer to use as a test machine before plunking down for a new one that might not work out and heres my conclusion after having a similar sized machine to the 530/540,,,, a 530/540 would likely do the job, however we just had a snow storm (wet 8-10) that I couldnt move easily with the GT and blade, it required me to break out the blower, the machine just couldnt get quite enough bite to displace the snow with the blade, with the blower on it was no problem, so if you want to be "secure" in knowing you can plow out a deep one I would have a blade (quick removal of light snows) and blower (remove anything the blade wont) for the 530/540 size machine. I thought I could save a few beans and I could likely get by with an X5, but I would be at its capabilities.

The X7 would have more options down the road, its just a bigger heavier machine with more hydraulic options, more PTO options, more hitch options, loader options, cab options, implement options, just a more versatile platform for the long run in my opinion. I think a blade on this size machine would handle 12" snows as long as you had enough weights and chains.

In the end my conclusions are,,,, I would buy a low hr used X4x5 or X7 over any 530/540 if you have any inclinations beyond snow removal and mowing lawn, the X5s are a good machine but in your description with 6 ac and the things one can get into over time the X4x5, X7 will be better prepared. Is it to big? Got any place the 60 deck wont fit between? If not then its not to big.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The X720 with a blade would be what I'd start with. It'll do almost any snow situation. And a blade is way faster than a blower. I've been plowing for 19 years with a 425, and I've pushed snows as deep as 18" with it before. The X720 is about the same machine. You can also get older blades and use them on the X7's. I transferred my blade from my 425 to my X739 this year by simply adding a couple of small hose extensions.

Later, if you find that a snow blower is warranted, just look for a used one. They are for sale pretty regularly, both the 47" and the 54". I think the older styles of these will also fit an x7. Weights and probably chains are paramount with 2 wheel drive. I ran chains for years. Got tired of it and bought the X739.

My uncle used my 425 for a bit and loved it so much he went out and bought an X500. He has been so disappointed with it. Says it's not near the tractor that my 425 is. That probably transfers to the X720 too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a x485 which is a older x720 and I have a plow on it for winter. I live western ny and get a lot of lake effect snow, my drive is gravel and not level and at least 200 feet wide and at least the long and have not problems pushing with weight and chains. as said before the 720 will outlast any of the others. I have over 1,200 hours on mine and have not had any problems with it. there is a reason why there is no more air cooled cars, liquid is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
13,694 Posts
I had a X495 and loved it. It was one tough garden tractor. With 6 acres I wouldn't suggest anything less than the X7xx.

Not to muddy the waters..... but with 6 acres, if you have any inclination of doing anything but mowing grass and plowing snow you should at least look at the 1 series.

A good tractor is worth its weight in gold and you'll keep it for a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
rtgt has a great point. Probably not the amount of money you want to spend, but it's worth every penny.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would be inclined to go with the X720 for more attachments and accessories later on down the road, but if budget is priority, then there is nothing wrong with the X500 series. I would get the X540 with liquid cooled engine though.... It will last longer then the air cooled engines. Another thought just crossed my mind.... Why not a 455 Diesel? You can buy a used 455 with the YANMAR Diesel for half the price of a slightly used X720 gas machine. Good decent ones can be found for around $5,000.00.

With 6 acres, what about a subcompact tractor, like a 2210- 2305?

Jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, the X720 is not too much for what you need!

I was in the same place about 1 year ago. I went out with the intention of buying a used X540, and came home with an X720 instead. The 540 is a great machine, but the 720 is much more than the 540 could ever be.

The hydraulics alone are are worth the price of admission! Hydraulic lift and angle on a front blade is such an elegant solution versus the manual levers or electric actuators that lesser machines rely on.

The blade will do for most snow removal jobs, but having both the blade and blower is the best situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
X720 it is!!

Ok everyone after a ton of research, pricing, looking at different machines, and many hours of deliberation I have made the move and bought a 2012 x720 with the 62 in deck, and a brand new 47 in snowblower attachment. The machine only has 50 hours!! And two years left on the warranty. It should be arriving next week.

I will up load pics and keep you all informed.

Thanks to all who helped with their posts.

·
Premium Member
13,694 Posts
Sweet! :dance:

We will be looking forward to the pictures. :munch:

Congratulations on your new toy, err.... I mean tool. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congratulations, you will love it.
On my 748 the first hydro oil change was due at 50 hours. I would guess the 720 should be the same. If you haven't already you might want find out if the first engine & hydro oil changes have been done. I would also check all the fluid levels when you get it home.
Everybody needs a good tractor. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.