Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Heh. Mine are all still under a couple feet of snow. It's going to be a few more weeks before I can take pics of much of anything. The seed catalogs have been coming in though and my fingers are getting itchy to get some ordered.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Heh. Mine are all still under a couple feet of snow. It's going to be a few more weeks before I can take pics of much of anything. The seed catalogs have been coming in though and my fingers are getting itchy to get some ordered.
same here:hi:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
If the weather stays good, won't be long here. :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Better order your seeds, because some of us put together our order over Christmas, and get it all ordered in January and February. Might not be much left, if you put it off! :mocking:

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all my seeds, bought my onion sets a couple days ago & won't get the seed tators until about time to plant them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't wait to get out in the garden!!

Ordered from Fedco in January for my seeds and taters and I'm going to order some more heirloom seeds from Seed Savers Exchange out of Iowa.

I've ordered through a farmer friend tomato and pepper plants because I just don't have the skill at this point to bring those two types straight from seed.

Ordered from a neighbor who is a dairy farmer about 5 yards of manure which I'll spread with my tractor! That will be a first for me as the tractor was purchased last fall.

Planted about 400 bulbs last fall for the first time as well. Can't wait to see what comes up! :yahoo:

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
X2! Snow melting fast here, but not fast enough to suit me!
Well said!

I have mulled not even putting in a garden this year, shhhhhh, don't tell Mrs. CP I just typed that. Between my recently discovered pool issue(that will most likely consume quite a bit of time), my raised beds falling apart and me losing the battle with the weeds in them, and my mini cultivator being toast, and my Cub Cadet walk behind tiller needing work…I am just not feeling it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
Was I supposed to roto-til the part of the yard I wanted to start a garden in last fall, is it too late to do it now?
I would remove the sod and go for it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
How big is the garden going to be mbowen89?
The only way I know of is using hand tools. Removing just the sod is a PITA.
You could rototill it and pick out all the roots and grass you can, which is what I would do.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
If it's a larger area you can rent a power sod cutter.

Interestingly, it hadn't occurred to me before but I just searched and apparently no one makes a 3pt sod cutter. A quick Google search shows a couple of home-made projects though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Was I supposed to roto-til the part of the yard I wanted to start a garden in last fall, is it too late to do it now?
I did mine last year with grass on it but I had bought a new 60 inch tiller and new to me 2720 tractor so I didn't mind that I had to go out and re-till several times to get it in shape. :greentractorride: :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What month did you till it? Did the sod chunks break up enough and decay fast enough to start planting?
First till in mid April. Didn't plant onions until May 7. We had an unseasonably warm spring last year so the rest of the garden was put in mid May.

The sod was broken up pretty well. I put tons of compost on the garden just prior to planting too. I had a huge compost pile that had been accumulating for years and with the new tractor with the FEL I was able to move the compost to the garden to spread out and till under.

My garden did very well last year. First time it was worked in probably 5 or 6 years. You can see the grass grew up again at the top of the garden but I was lazy and didn't get out my TroyBilt tiller since that is where the onions were planted and were all harvested by the time this picture was taken in August.

View attachment 42164

View attachment 42165

View attachment 42166

I tilled it again last fall for the winter and it's still weed free today.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Cutting the sod is lots of work.

I would recommend using a burn down weed killer like roundup as soon in the spring as the grass starts to get green. In the case of roundup, it will take about 2 weeks to get the grass killed.

When the grass is totally dead, I would mow it as low as possible, and remove the cut grass.

Then, tilling what's left of the sod is much easier. Still takes a couple of passes, but much easier with dead sod.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I may be wrong, but I have it in my head you can't, or are supposed to, plant anything for 4 months after applying Round-up?:unknown:

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Four months is for the "extended control" version, normal Roundup replant time is one day to one week (just to play it safe).

1 - 20 of 233 Posts