Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first seeds came today and I'll get these two started this weekend. The really hot peppers take a long time to germinate and get to fruit bearing size.

JHuhaUli7CrV9_KQ6z6zkeVRbJuw0t-9aiXDhgSaC94MM8WaDIoZ_6F40ckMr4_CnJU9gnWLhhDmWriaBoLds0ZLHn85sVKQ.jpg

Tomatoes, Jalapenos and other things will get started around Valentines day.

What are your plans for this year?

·
Registered
459 Posts
My first seeds came today and I'll get these two started this weekend. The really hot peppers take a long time to germinate and get to fruit bearing size.

What are your plans for this year?
While they take a while to germinate, once they do they really take off, almost uncontrollably. I'll be interested to see what you do with your peppers. :munch:

I've found that I can't handle the ghost peppers from my buddy's garden in much anything but a dried capacity, sprinkled on food. I've tried fresh salsa with his scorpions, and to me it's not really enjoyable unless the pepper ratio is cut back and blended with other peppers.

I still like really spicy food, but maybe I'm turning into a wimp :flag_of_truce:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
While they take a while to germinate, once they do they really take off, almost uncontrollably. I'll be interested to see what you do with your peppers. :munch:

I've found that I can't handle the ghost peppers from my buddy's garden in much anything but a dried capacity, sprinkled on food. I've tried fresh salsa with his scorpions, and to me it's not really enjoyable unless the pepper ratio is cut back and blended with other peppers.

I still like really spicy food, but maybe I'm turning into a wimp :flag_of_truce:
Well if you are then I'm already there. I learned my lessen while stationed in Mexico City back in the 70's. Only took one time to learn. Going down wasn't the problem, coming out the other end was. :fire: :gaah:

Not even thinking about a garden yet except what equipment I'd like to have when it happens. :unknown:

·
Corndog Hater
11,109 Posts

If you’re a wimp, then I’m a big baby. I enjoy Mexican food and it’s seasonings, things with a hint of spice.. But I don’t like anything remotely “hot” at all.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Most of what I do with them is make powders. Doesn't take much, so a lot of them get given away. My ghost peppers for 2017 were a let down frankly. They were about as hot as a Jalapeno. The Carolina Reapers were the real deal, though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We just got the first seed catalog of the year today...but there is snow on the ground and it is butt-a$$ cold out.
We're four months away from puting anything in the ground. We'll start some plants around mid-March...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm excited for 2018 as well. I had a terrible time with irrigation last year so I relocated my garden and installed some hydrants.

IMG_0092.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,696 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,109 Posts
Mrs. CP’s Uncle always gives us butternut squash from the farm’s gardens. He just gave us these. He’s curious what the round one looks like inside and what it tastes like. I guess we get to be the guinea pigs. It looks like a butternut squash cross pollinated with a pumpkin.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I’m in the planning stages of a new garden this year. The Mrs isn’t agreeing yet though. I want to tuna water line down to where it will be.

Last year she planted over 100 tomato plants around the house. We aren’t doing that again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m in the planning stages of a new garden this year. The Mrs isn’t agreeing yet though. I want to tuna water line down to where it will be.

Last year she planted over 100 tomato plants around the house. We aren’t doing that again this year.

Two years ago I had 30 tomato plants. Decided canning tomatoes was not an activity I was interested in doing again, so last year dropped that to 16. Still too much, so this year I'm going to have 8 and focus on quality.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well the Mrs cans them, makes juice, salsa and sauce out of them. Plus she loves tomato sandwiches.

I think it’s nuts but I will say no tomatoes went to waste yet.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Well the Mrs cans them, makes juice, salsa and sauce out of them. Plus she loves tomato sandwiches.

My wife does that too, sauce, salsa, pizza sauce, you name it. If it has tomatoes in it she cans it. :good2:

:lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts

My wife canned 50 quarts of tomatoes last year. She doesn't make the sauce, salsa or juice. I will take a quart of canned tomatoes and drink it right out of the jar. Love the chunks in canned tomatoes. I love tomatoes and a tomato sandwich is the best sandwich there is for me. But it has to be vine ripe. Don't like the gassed one you buy in a store.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
We're a good four months away from planting here as well. Like J3, I'm in the "planning stages" for re-doing my garden space this year.

Due to the number of trees on our property, my "sunny space" is pretty limited and I just have raised beds in that area. I'd like to re-do the beds before Spring planting time comes. Due to the proximity to the house (and Sweetie's desire for a good looking yard!), I want beds that look as nice as they are functional. A few of my original beds are just 2x12 untreated pine that I put some Linseed Oil on. They've been in place for 5 years or so and are starting to rot, so I want to replace them. The newer beds are 2x12 cedar that I also put some stain on to help preserve them. I thought I'd post up here to ask you guys for some advice.

My first thought was to go with 6x6 cedar beds, maybe 3 layers high (roughly 18"). Then I was wondering if 4x6 cedar would give enough lateral strength along the longer sides. That would save some money as I have 6 beds altogether (Four 4x8, Two 4x12) and the cost of the material to use 6x6's was going to be in the $3200 range (if I remember correctly). Thoughts on cedar and also on 6x6 sides vs. 4x6 sides.

I've also thought about using some sort of composite or HDPE "wood" to make the beds. That would eliminate any worry of rot. I've seen some kits for this that are a little on the pricey side, but still within an acceptable budget. Do you guys have any thoughts on that material for beds?

Since I've been thinking too much, I've also been thinking about what to put in the beds. I've read up a bit on Hugelkultur and like the idea of it. That has led me to consider burying a couple of logs in each of my beds when i fill them back up with material. Is it asking for trouble burying rotting tree trunks 25' from my log home?

I'm just looking forward to actually putting a garden out again this year. Last year I never had time to do it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What to do about animals? At our last house, I didn't have problems with animals...just insects/bugs. Here, it seems deer and everything else mow our plants down, not just garden plants.

Green tomatoes would be found throughout the yard with one bite taken out. Deer just seem to destroy whatever they want...fruit trees, red osier dogwood, rasberry, blackberry, blueberry bushes, etc. Driving me nuts!

1 - 20 of 514 Posts