Provider

Basil
Genovese Compact, Improved
Sweet Thai

Watermelons
Sugar Baby
Orange Crisp
Pollinator - ACE

VagljxdH8EJx-U5OpLac4cD-oSfgal9jafiHrB_k2mpYfXxDGJGHomp3t2Rug4uaiW8EmTQrqVuvEpYXgK_LWy0bdRIWzArt.jpg

Did you know that to grow seedless watermelons, you have to also grow pollinator watermelons? I didn't before, but I do now. Does anyone have advice on what to do there?

I will be doing Tomatoes, Peppers, Green Beans and Sweet Corn in my main garden and I've got another new spot that I'll be trying the watermelons.

So, what do you have going so far?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hey Bubber,, care to share what the Johnnys seeds cost??
I have never tried them,,:flag_of_truce:

My garden will be highly modified this year,, the wife and I are trying to go low carb,,,

the big corn area is now available for,,,, :dunno: who knows what.

The garden will be a LOT of tomatoes, lettuce,, and some new crops,,

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
It's about time somebody started talking about Gardens in 2019! :hide:

Here's what I've got so far:

Tomatoes
Brandywine
Moskvich
Valley Girl

Peppers
Jalafuego
Habanero

Sweet Corn
SS3778R

Green Beans
Provider

Basil
Sweet Thai

Watermelons
Sugar Baby
Orange Crisp
Pollinator - ACE

View attachment 670256

Did you know that to grow seedless watermelons, you have to also grow pollinator watermelons? I didn't before, but I do now. Does anyone have advice on what to do there?

I will be doing Tomatoes, Peppers, Green Beans and Sweet Corn in my main garden and I've got another new spot that I'll be trying the watermelons.

I am actually shocked to see Sugar Baby as one of Your watermelons I Have never seen them anywhere but Iowa & Illinois :bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
It's about time somebody started talking about Gardens in 2019! :hide:

Here's what I've got so far:

Tomatoes
Brandywine
Moskvich
Valley Girl

Peppers
Jalafuego
Habanero

Sweet Corn
SS3778R

Green Beans
Provider

Basil
Sweet Thai

Watermelons
Sugar Baby
Orange Crisp
Pollinator - ACE

View attachment 670256

I did know that about the watermelons. I tried them one year here and got nothing. Our season just doesn’t get hot or long enough.

And thanks for starting the thread......

My garden will be highly modified this year,, the wife and I are trying to go low carb,,,

I’ve been trying to cut carbs too, I’ll be interested in what you end up doing.

BTW Harris Seeds has free shipping this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I did know that about the watermelons. I tried them one year here and got nothing. Our season just doesn’t get hot or long enough.

Cp I use to grow them Up Near Watertown/Fort Drum Area They will grow I always Buy them as Plants Guess the Bees didn't Like Your watermelon so they choose not to Pollinate it I grew way to Much Cantaloupe last year and I started them from seeds . This year only going to Grow Sugar Babies .

It's funny this thread is Making me wish for spring But at the same time there Picking My 2025R up Tuesday to put the Tektite Cab on and I want it to snow at least once More once I get the Tractor with the Cab Back Just to see how the heated Cab guys have it :laugh::bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I will make sure my spreadsheet is up to date and share it.

I am actually shocked to see Sugar Baby as one of Your watermelons I Have never seen them anywhere but Iowa & Illinois :bigthumb:
I've never tried watermelons, so I have no idea what I'm doing. :laugh: Mrs. Bubber doesn't like seedless ones, so that's why I'm trying sugar babies. The orange ones are an experiment for my grand kids. Hopefully we get some orange melons.

This year i will plant my very first garden. I'm so excited. I've always wanted one and to be able to go out and pick fresh veggies will be a dream come true. I plan on ordering my seeds next weekend.
Cp I use to grow them Up Near Watertown/Fort Drum Area They will grow I always Buy them as Plants Guess the Bees didn't Like Your watermelon so they choose not to Pollinate it I grew way to Much Cantaloupe last year and I started them from seeds . This year only going to Grow Sugar Babies .

It's funny this thread is Making me wish for spring But at the same time there Picking My 2025R up Tuesday to put the Tektite Cab on and I want it to snow at least once More once I get the Tractor with the Cab Back Just to see how the heated Cab guys have it :laugh::bigthumb:
I'm trying to start everything from seed. Hopefully it'll pan out.

You guys are admirable for trying to cut out carbs. I just started growing corn though, so I'm all in. Let's see if maybe it won't get blown down twice this year.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
My wife and FIL start everything from seed, drives my MIL crazy because for almost 2 months her dining room table and every window sill are covered. :laugh: not to mention tables set up everywhere from the basement to the living room with seedlings growing.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Last year, I had the most beautiful seedlings,, in a mini greenhouse,
one morning I slept in,, and did not open the greenhouse, the air temp got to 55 F. ,,, the greenhouse overheated and killed EVERYTHING,,,

Luckily, a nearby greenhouse sells any plant I want for $0.30 each. Our tomatoes were perfect,,,

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Bubber sugar Babies are probably the sweetest watermelon you can grow. They will be solid Dark Green outer rind almost look like a dark green basket ball It Putts Your rattle snake watermelons to shame the

BTW if the Melons work out for you make sure You don't Plant them In the same Place In the Garden every year it leads to Vine diseases and Just Hope the bees do there Job :bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
I just placed my seed order, so spring can arrive anytime. I will buy pepper and eggplant plants, but will direct so most everything else. Mrs. CP and I said last year we were done monkeying around with tomato plants. However, to get free shipping, I had to spend $35 which I was unaware of. So guess what got thrown in the cart, yep tomato seeds, and some marigold seeds too. So, it looks like we’ll have some trays set up this spring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ordered my cool weather seeds from Johnnys yesterday. Its the first time I have ordered from them. Great selection and you can buy more seeds in small bulk for the same price of the packets in the big box stores. I am looking to up my game this year including hilling rows and switching to drip irrigation.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My son can’t wait to put in a garden this year. I’m really trying to talk the Mrs into letting me run water down to where he wants it. She isn’t biting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,221 Posts

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Started my seed orders with these with much more to come. Me and BFF will plant the greenhouse starters in 2 weeks. Have all the peat pots and seed starter for hundreds of plants. Come on spring!:yahoo:

Attachments

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm downsizing the garden, this year. Tomatoes and peppers, (jalapeno and serrano) have to be started indoors, or in a greenhouse, so they are ready to go in the ground Mid March. I can plant the peppers in April, but if I am that late getting the tomato plants in the ground, they'll burn up in the Texas heat before they can fully produce. (The good thing is, I can plant seedlings again in late summer and enjoy tomatoes until Halloween, and sometimes later.)

Squash, (yellow crookneck and zucchini) will be seeds sown directly, and they'll go in mid to late March, same with cantaloupe. I sow okra seeds directly too and they can go in as late as mid to late April, because it's not gonna do squat until things get good and warm.

I expect to plant 20 tomato plants, half a dozen pepper plants, one 20' row of each variety of squash, and probably 30 feet of okra. Oh course, if I don't get busy hoeing, I won't get to plant any of it. Time to work the compost in!

And, my dad used Shumway for seeds, and I always have too. They are the only place I have found that carries the Perkins Mammoth okra, and yellow dent field corn. I've always liked the field corn flavor better than sweet corn. To me, it tastes more like corn, than sugar water. Personal preference, I guess. I like that I can buy in bulk from them, not just the small packets, (although they have those too).

https://www.rhshumway.com/

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
I sow okra seeds directly too and they can go in as late as mid to late April, because it's not gonna do squat until things get good and warm.

I suppose I can overlook this one misgiving. Never been a fan!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I suppose I can overlook this one misgiving. Never been a fan!
:laugh: You've never had it cooked properly, or pickled with the right recipe! :good2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
:laugh: You've never had it cooked properly, or pickled with the right recipe! :good2:

I am 100% positive that you are 100% correct:good2:

Every time I've tried it....one word.....slimey

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Pickled okra in a bloody Mary= Yummmm!. Fried okra in olive oil with panko and egg coating. Yummm! Slimy okra= learn to cook sandwich dude!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 244 Posts