Sweet Corn
SS3778R

Green Beans
Provider

Herbs
Genovese Compact, Improved
Sweet Thai
Calypso Cilantro

Our tomatoes were disappointing last year, I have some ideas why and will be hardening longer and have different soil prep. Even though I bought the seed, I'm not sure if I'll grow corn this year. We'll see.

What is the plan for you?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
[QUOTE="Bubber, post: 3414316, member: 2822"

[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any luck with my tomatoes last year either i plan to plant tomatoes ? again green sweet peppers some kind of lettuce and usually a some kind of melon? or cantaloupe zucchini and yellow squash what goes in the garden is up to the wife she does all the planting :)I just do the most of the weeding and tilling and we both do the picking :D and the dam ground hogs do most of the eating I need to try and ground hog proof the garden this year I say shoot them but wife gets mad when I do so I have to come up with another way if any one has any ideas let me know (y)

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
We haven't ordered any seeds for this coming season yet. Well, not 100 % correct, we did place our order for our seed potatoes and fertilizer for the hay fields.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven’t placed an order yet. Still debating on weather or not to even bother. The past couple years have been frustrating at best. I have what to me is a large garden about 120’x55’. I probably threw out 500 pounds of rotten potatoes last fall. We still got enough to last us but still seems pointless. Tomatoes have gotten the blight the past 5 years no matter what so I’m not even going to plant any. Never even planted peas because it was so wet last spring. Found a sweet corn from Stokes last year that’s less expensive than Gotta Have It and just as good and that did well. There are so many farmers markets around here that it just doesn’t seem worth all the work. I enjoy it or I wouldn’t bother at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Speaking of gardening, does anyone have any advice on pruning apple trees? I planted 4 semi dwarf trees 4 years ago. They produced for the first time last year despite the efforts of the Japanese Beatles. They need to be pruned but I don’t want to mess them up. I can pay in beer if someone wants to come teach me how.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Speaking of gardening, does anyone have any advice on pruning apple trees? I planted 4 semi dwarf trees 4 years ago. They produced for the first time last year despite the efforts of the Japanese Beatles. They need to be pruned but I don’t want to mess them up. I can pay in beer if someone wants to come teach me how.
I was in the same boat you are a couple of years ago. There are lots of YouTube videos that show how to do this. Watch them and you will be more confident pruning yours. You will be able to look at the trees and have an idea what needs to go.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Only thing I’m planting this year is 4-6 new apple trees. Three of our four gardens will sit fallow this year. The fourth on will just have a tomato plant and a few peppers.

Last year’s gardens produced but nobody wanted to weed them and I got tired of doing it myself. Everything got planted so late that things ripened after school started up in the fall and nobody had time to do anything with stuff.

With three graduations, vacation and a bunch of other things going on we just decided not to bother with gardens in 2020. Still have lots of stuff from previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,478 Posts
I haven’t placed an order yet. Still debating on weather or not to even bother. The past couple years have been frustrating at best. I have what to me is a large garden about 120’x55’. I probably threw out 500 pounds of rotten potatoes last fall. We still got enough to last us but still seems pointless. Tomatoes have gotten the blight the past 5 years no matter what so I’m not even going to plant any. Never even planted peas because it was so wet last spring. Found a sweet corn from Stokes last year that’s less expensive than Gotta Have It and just as good and that did well. There are so many farmers markets around here that it just doesn’t seem worth all the work. I enjoy it or I wouldn’t bother at all.
Gardening in WNY can be maddening! I had a garden the size of yours for a few years. Then added some raised beds and shrunk down the tilled garden. Then eventually eliminated the tilled garden altogether. Everything is grown in (4) 4'x12' raised beds, and pots on the deck. The blight was doing in our tomatoes too so we started putting them in big pots on the deck and had much better success. I used to plant things for the "fun of it". Now I plant only what I know we'll eat. We plant a lot of carrots, still eating 2019's harvest in fact. And yes, we have a farm stand just down the road and frequent that.

Deer are my worst problem!

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I placed my Johnny's seed order New Years Day. This year I've got:

Tomatoes
Brandywine
Valley Girl
Galahad
Grand Marshal
5 Star Grape

Peppers
Jalafuego
Jedi
El Jefe
Habanero

Sweet Corn
SS3778R

Green Beans
Provider

Herbs
Genovese Compact, Improved
Sweet Thai
Calypso Cilantro

View attachment 724276

Our tomatoes were disappointing last year, I have some ideas why and will be hardening longer and have different soil prep. Even though I bought the seed, I'm not sure if I'll grow corn this year. We'll see.

It’s surprising how far and wide people order from Johnny’s. A WFM member from Colorado even made the store a stop on a road trip he took along the northern border. It’s about 40 minutes north of me.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
There's a member on here named "FirewoodBandit" (or may it's "Firewood Bandit") that has an apple orchard and is super knowledgeable about apple trees. He started a thread a year or two on planting a new section of orchard. I haven't seen him on here for a while, but if you look him up and send him a private message, he should get an email with the message.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s surprising how far and wide people order from Johnny’s. A WFM member from Colorado even made the store a stop on a road trip he took along the northern border. It’s about 40 minutes north of me.
I like Johnny's. I happened to order from them once and liked what I received and have stuck with them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im so excited to have a garden this year, I haven't been able to have a food garden since I was a kid.

Got started yesterday, finished up today, going to put this little spot of lawn to better use. The rest of our property is either extremely hilly, or occupied with horse landscape, and my wife said I can't get rid of the arena to have a garden :mad: So until I have the funds to terrace in the garden I want, this will have to do. Got it tilled to start trying to kill off the vegetation, I would have sprayed it, but my well head is in the center, and I don't use chemicals with 100' of it. Ordering seeds tonight, can't wait.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My tomatoes were pretty much a fail the last couple of years. Not really sure why. I’m thinking of not even putting a garden in this year.
Mine weren't great last year either. I'm going to keep at it, though.

I've got peppers and some basil started. I thinned them this weekend.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I need you guys to school me on garden watering. Back when my parents had a garden, I recall watering with a sprinkler, and a watering head for specific plants like squashes that we planted in mounds. I've been looking around and it looks like drip tape is the recommended way to water now? Is there that much of a benefit between that and soaker hoses? I would prefer not to use a sprinkler, as I do see benefit to not getting leaves wet if possible, and not watering bare earth for weeds to grow.

Side note, I read a while ago that soaker hoses on a well were a bad idea, is that the case? We have a soft-start, variable speed controller on our well pump that was put in last year, I would imagine that should cure the stop-start of the well pump at low flow, is that correct?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use drip irrigation for peppers and tomatoes. It works well for me. I put one of each of these on each plant

I use 1/2" distribution tubing and come off of that with with 1/4" tubing for feeder lines to the drip heads.

I bought a kit when I started, but now just buy the parts that I need to suit my needs.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
"A" tomato plant, as in literally just one? :unsure:
Yep. Just one. Usually we have one eater and several Roma plants. The Roma’s get made into salsa, canned tomatoes, sauce, etc. The eater is for BLT’s.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
"A" tomato plant, as in literally just one? :unsure:
Yep. Just one. Usually we have one eater and several Roma plants. The Roma’s get made into salsa, canned tomatoes, sauce, etc. The eater is for BLT’s.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts