Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2025r (Gen 2), Deere Ballast box, Frontier AP10F, 260b Backhoe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am ordering a box blade for my driveway maintenance (and to move earth around). I have about 100 yards of driveway that is packed pretty good. We bought our property about a year ago and I don't think anything has been done to the driveway for years (maybe a decade). This winter has really shown me where I need to focus on the drive and getting water out of the ruts is key (and it helped talk my wife into letting me get the BB :) ) We do have a gate near the road that has a push button operation to get in (and garage door openers), but to leave, there is a sensor about 30 yards from the gate. This is either picking up magnetic fields or weight. I'm assuming that I just need to "locate" the sensor, dig it up and work around it and put it back in when done. For those of you who have these or worked on them, is it that simple? How deep is the sensor usually? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get a ship date tomorrow from my Deere dealer so I have time to do prep work before hand.

Thanks.
Charles

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a Mighty Mule driveway sensor. It senses changing magnetic fields. Bury depth is 12 inches. The cable to the sending unit, which in my case is battery powered, is 10 feet or so long and is buried, but not as deep as the sensor. The sensor is a cylinder about an inch in diameter and a foot long, with a cable feeding into one end. Range of the sensor is supposedly 3-1/2 feet, so maybe if your sensor is the same brand this will help you narrow down the location by moving a mass of metal around and see when your gate opens. I have done or helped with several of these installations, and the sensor is typically buried next to the driveway, not under it.

Your plan of locate, dig up, re-bury is what I would do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
All the ones I've worked on had an inductive loop buried in the vehicle path several inches down. I'd just poke around til I found it, mark it out with some spray paint and leave it alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The ones I have installed are based on a magnetic field, not weight. (I was in the self storage business for a while) There is not a sensor, it is about 12' of wire that forms a 5' long rectangle/loop. The bury depth can be quite shallow, they can even be cut into the surface of asphalt. Bury too deep and they may not work. It should be easy to find. Just roll your car slowly until the gate is activated. I know a snowblower would always trigger my gates/doors. Most of the ones I installed were just barely covered with gravel then paved over with asphalt or concrete.

I ran the cable to the loop through plastic conduit. I would be surprised if your circuit is not in conduit as well. The loop however was just buried in the gravel or cut into asphalt. The likely scenario is the line runs along your driveway then makes a right turn into the driveway to create the loop. You should be able to start at the control box to see which side of the driveway it runs along. Since it is low voltage it does not by code need to be very deep but it is hard to say how it was installed.

It probably goes without saying, don't be too aggressive with the pick and start swinging wildly. Nick the coating on the wire and it might need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
This is what I have at my gate. You bury the blue sensor parallel with the driveway, not in the driveway.

·
Registered
2025r (Gen 2), Deere Ballast box, Frontier AP10F, 260b Backhoe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'll post a picture of what I find in a week or two. I'm hoping it is like what Big posted and it is next to the driveway. Thanks again.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts