Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Gator 590i has about 80 hours on it and the parking break completely failed causing my gator to go over a 40’ bank almost straight down. This unfortunately happened on my 8 year olds first hunting trip about 15 after shooting his first buck. Got the gator home and took it to my local shop to find out that the bolt (#2 in picture) that holds the break plate on the shaft had complete backed out and cause the disk (10B in picture) to drop off (#9 in picture) and not put the buggy in park. I posted some pictures and you can see on the diagram that the bolt sits against a washer and the washer was broke and cause the bolt to back off. The brake felt normal when you compressed it inside the buggy and it compressed the disk but the disk was not sitting properly on the axel so in turn no parking brake.
Has ANYONE else had an issue with this but coming loose, I feel this is a huge safety problem that John Deere should take care of. The frame on my gator is complete trash because the gator hit a tree on the way over the bank after running myself over. Please let me know if anyone has heard or have experienced this issue yourself. This is VERY Dangerous and I am sooo lucky my 8 year old was out of it when it went over the bank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Yikes, glad your son was not hurt.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,140 Posts
I have not seen or heard of this happening.
Is the dealer/JD going to cover it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have no idea first they said no, then the dealer told them this is a safety problem that ran over a customer. After that, they told them to fix it and the dealer started taking it apart and I mean APART but found out the whole frame is bent. Deere told them to bend it back and fix it but the dealer don’t have the equipment to do that. So when Deere said fix it that tells me they know it’s a safety issue. They just want the dealer to bend everything back and sweep it under the rug and give it to me and they said no. Still waiting to hear back from Deere lol. Not to mention the cost to fix it would be way more than just taking it back. This gator is out of warranty too I still owe on it and they still told them to fix it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,140 Posts
So when Deere said fix it that tells me they know it’s a safety issue.
I would not hang my hat on that thought.
Over the years I've had A LOT of companies step up to the plate to help. Most didn't need to but did. One only needs to ask and pursue the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Over the years I've had A LOT of companies step up to the plate to help. Most didn't need to but did. One only needs to ask and pursue the issue.
I got a call today and Deere is giving me a whole new buggy even though this one is way out of warranty. Deere asked for my gator back and they are sending it to some inspection safety department to have them tear it down completely. This problem with my gator is a big issue if it happens to someone else.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,140 Posts
I got a call today and Deere is giving me a whole new buggy even though this one is way out of warranty. Deere asked for my gator back and they are sending it to some inspection safety department to have them tear it down completely. This problem with my gator is a big issue if it happens to someone else.
Good for you. (y) I'm tickled to death, life is good.
The next time you go to your dealership, I'd take a couple of pizzas.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
A HAPPY ending to this story. I am guessing JD figures they avoided a BIG law suit, had there been injury or death. I am glad you and your son were not hurt. Tell him congrats on his first buck. Have you posted pictures of it in the OFF TOPIC Hunting section of the forum?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was very fortunate to have the dealer on my side for sure. If not for them pushing back, I probably would have had this deal drug out for so long. I just hope John Deere actually does the right thing and looks into this issue. My son will NOT and TOTALLY REFUSES to get near another buggy right now. We even looked at a pioneer and he wouldn’t get into that one either, so hopefully with time he will come around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts