Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual states to change engine oil after only eight hours. Then to change it after 100 hours.
Does it only take eight hours to fully break these engines in?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm not sure but I would do what it says, especially if the machine is that young. does your manual talk about the break-in period?

·
Registered
21,192 Posts
Talking small engines in general, the first early oil change is mostly to get contamination out from the manufacturing process - like bits is metal and the like. This doesn't neccessarily have anything to do with the engine being broken in.

Just follow the manual and enjoy your machine.

·
Premium Member
10,702 Posts
It is always best to follow the manual recommendations. 8 hrs is not the break-in period. Doing that initial oil change removes any remaining manufacturing debris.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I plan on following the recommended service schedule. I am just surprised at the short break in time.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,724 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I plan on following the recommended service schedule. I am just surprised at the short break in time.
Our new XUV 560 had the same 8 hour requirement.

·
Premium Member
13,957 Posts
Can't remember the Gator I was thinking 10 it probably was 8 and the Honda Pioneer was either 20 hrs or 100 miles .

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I think J2OC HY-GARD for the rear.
The transaxle can be J2OC HY-GARD or J20D Low Viscosity HY-GARD depending on the climate the Gator will be used in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The manual states to change engine oil after only eight hours. Then to change it after 100 hours.
Does it only take eight hours to fully break these engines in?
Modern motors are pretty much broke in as soon as they start up. The 8 hour change is just to get all the junk from break-in/assembly out of the oil. Then you're ready to rip and roar!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts