Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Gator 825i doesn't go into 4 wheel drive when flipping the switch. I don't hear anything from the solenoid. What can I check?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
If you can get to the solenoid make sure the wire is plugged in by disconnecting it and plugging it back in. After that if you get noting check if you are getting power to the solenoid. If you are getting power it is most likely that the solenoid died.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Front tires don't pull until the rears are spinning ~15% faster than fronts are turning.

Basically, it's AWD... instead of 4WD
I just never understood why the manufactures do this. I'm not really sold on it either.
It's like, get stuck first then 4WD kicks in, maybe you get out, maybe not.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
I just never understood why the manufactures do this. I'm not really sold on it either.
It's like, get stuck first then 4WD kicks in, maybe you get out, maybe not.
I think about this with pickups also. With the automatic locking hubs, you have to have forward motion for them to lock. If you are parked somewhere and it snows or ices and you can't move, you can't get it into 4WD.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think about this with pickups also. With the automatic locking hubs, you have to have forward motion for them to lock. If you are parked somewhere and it snows or ices and you can't move, you can't get it into 4WD.

Usually for fuel mileage. That and God forbid you have to get out to lock the hubs. Especially if you were to lazy to do it before you got stuck in 12" of mud.
Every single system ever designed to improve on locking hubs has some Achilles' heel that renders it useless. Usually when you need it the the most.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Had that happen to me but not on ice.
I had the truck backed up tight to a barn, a slight incline going away from the barn doors. Loaded up hay went to move,, there I sat. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Had that happen to me but not on ice.
I had the truck backed up tight to a barn, a slight incline going away from the barn doors. Loaded up hay went to move,, there I sat. :banghead:
What kind of truck do you have?

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
It was a Chevy, don't remember what year it was but it was a while ago.
When I bought the S10 from my FIL , he very seldom ever would use or engage the 4wd lever just to keep everything working. I was driving it one day , I engaged the lever and he told me it won't work till you drive it the length of this driveway we were in apx 8 or 9 car length. What do you mean I could engage the Dakota and before the wheels made one turn I was in 4wd.

Well long story short, I would put the S10 in and out of 4 wd for about 2 weeks any and every chance I had. When I sold it it would engage in about 1/2-3/4 of the wheel turning.

Like the old saying use it or lose it..

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When I bought the S10 from my FIL , he very seldom ever would use or engage the 4wd lever just to keep everything working. I was driving it one day , I engaged the lever and he told me it won't work till you drive it the length of this driveway we were in apx 8 or 9 car length. What do you mean I could engage the Dakota and before the wheels made one turn I was in 4wd.

Well long story short, I would put the S10 in and out of 4 wd for about 2 weeks any and every chance I had. When I sold it it would engage in about 1/2-3/4 of the wheel turning.

Like the old saying use it or lose it..
Both Chevy and Dodge trucks have a front axle disconnect. Both are vacuum powered. Dodge put a servo on the right side axle tube. Chevy used a vacuum cruise control (usually mounted on the inner fender) with a cable going down to the pumpkin. Either way it unhooks the right side axle from the rest of the diff. Same as if you jack one wheel up. The transfer case can turn the front drive shaft all it wants but no power will be transferred to the front wheels. The case also has a vacuum switch to operate the servo. Another part that usually fails. Even a vacuum leak will render the system useless. The YJ Wranglers also used the servo on the axle. On the straight 6 engine every time the oil filter gets removed oil runs all over the servo vacuum harness. Over time it swells from the oil and leaks vacuum.
When Jeep came out with the TJ they went back to a live axle just like the earliest models.(before lockouts) The whole front drive line turns 100% of the time.

The newer Chevy full size trucks are similar to the Gators problem. When shifted in the disconnect gets locked but no power is sent to the front. All this does is make the front wheels turn the drive shaft. Both drive shafts have speed sensors. When the computer sees the rear shaft turning a certain % faster than the front the case will finally start sending power forward. Like every system if one part fails the system is useless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts