Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1025R with 60MMM. Also just bought a used X540 that had Gator Blades installed. Ran em both last night and there is a huge difference in "clumping" of clippings---the X540 had none while the 1025R left rows of grass clippings.

I have not had any experience with Gator Blades before and was impressed. Some of the difference might also be attributed to the different mowers themselves, I don't know.

Anyway, if I was to change the blades on the 1025R, would I get the same results or similar to the X540 with Gators? And would the Gators on the 1025 be sufficient or do I need to spend more and get the Deere kit??

Always appreciate the help I get on this site!! (but it costs me money)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the JD mulch kit on my 2025r with a 60" deck and am pretty pleased with it. It will clump some but only when the grass is long and thick. I had a Kubota BX with the Kubota mulch kit and tried switching to gator blades and it threw grass all over me. Maybe without the mulch kit it wouldn't have. The blades did give a great cut though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You need short grass clippings to be able to mulch properly, without clumping. Or only cut at a shorter swipe, each time you mow.
I'm testing out Gator blades and a chute blocker (no mulch kit under deck).
See my topic in the zero turn forum, for some info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just put Gator x5 blades on my 54" 1025R, replaced the 3 yr. old original blades.

I very much like them, but it's hard to quantify. Kinda like ANY new tires are gonna be better than your old, worn out tires I guess.

I did sharpen the old ones every other time or so. The G5's take an edge easily, but I don't know how long it will last. I use the grinding cone on a drill thing; works great after a little practice. They are quieter it seems, that's the first thing that I noticed. I did cut some tall grass, and the clippings were fine, short and dispersed well.

I bought a 3pk on Amazon for $42.87 and shipping was pretty fast. They fit perfectly. I did notice that the cutting edge was also a bit longer- it ran closer to the pivot point on the spindle. If the Gator blades are cheaper than a mulch kit, I'd do them first and give them a few cuttings. If you're still not satisfied then get the mulch kit.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
FWIW...I just put mulch kits on my X360 & 1025 and like them both so far. Pretty sure after this season or sooner I'm going to change to the gator blades. Just running the ones that came with the mulch kits at the moment.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
I have both Gator G6 blades and the 60d mulch kit. I find that the blades that come with the mulch kit do a better job believe it or not. I've also been using mulching mowers for a very long time and none of them have ever come close to the cut that the JD mulch kit gives. I've never really noticed much clumping, even when the grass is a bit long because of the weather it still performs with ease. Until it dries up I continue to run the Gator blades and side discharge, then I'll switch back to mulching.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I have both Gator G6 blades and the 60d mulch kit. I find that the blades that come with the mulch kit do a better job believe it or not. I've also been using mulching mowers for a very long time and none of them have ever come close to the cut that the JD mulch kit gives. I've never really noticed much clumping, even when the grass is a bit long because of the weather it still performs with ease. Until it dries up I continue to run the Gator blades and side discharge, then I'll switch back to mulching.
Thanks Pat. I'll have to reconsider changing the blades then after this season. Maybe I'll stick with the JD ones.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks Pat. I'll have to reconsider changing the blades then after this season. Maybe I'll stick with the JD ones.
I’ve got both Gator G6 blades and the JD mulch kit. I’d have to agree that the blades that come with the mulch kit work better than Gators for mulching with the JD kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gator blades

I bought by 1025R used over the winter this year, just now getting into mowing with it's 60 inch MMM. Coming from an x739 with a mulching deck, I had intentions of adding the mulching kit to this deck, but hadn't gotten around to it so have been side discharging. The blades on the deck were in rough shape so I swapped them out for the G6 gator blades.

Of course I need to pay attention where I'm throwing grass, but the gatorblades using a side discharge is doing a better job chopping up and dispersing clippings than the JD mulching blades and mulching kit did on my x739. no clumps even with wet grass. I'm pretty impressed. I'll be skipping the mulching kit for the deck and sticking with the gator blades and side discharge!

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
My situation is a little different. The mulch kit for my 62d deck consists of pretty big molded plastic pieces and a set of specific mulching blades. The Gator blades will in now way fit with the mulch kit on.

I’ve used the G6 Gator blades for years with great success. Last year I bought a mulch kit to chop of leaves then tried it on the grass.

My grass is always wet in some places where the sun never hits because of heavy dew. So my first trial with the mulch kit was terrible. The underside of the deck became completely clogged within minutes.

I cleaned the kit up and put it in the corner of the barn out of frustration.

I’m tired of wet grass clippings though. We are in and out of the house all day - out dog Jake must make dozens of trips as he can come and go as he pleases.

I had the thought that I was mowing too low for the mulch kit to work properly. So I leveled my deck again this spring and set the cutting height a bit higher. Here I was mowing at 1.5” without knowing it - just went by looks. So I now set it to cut at 2.5”.

It works! The mulch kit works wonderfully now. I do have to wait until the grass is as dry as possible. Also need to cut more often - it just won’t work when trying to cut too much. The rule of cutting only 1/3 of the grass each time seems to be the sweet spot when using a mulch kit.

·
Corndog Hater
11,254 Posts
I switched from my original blades to Gator G6 blades last year and like them well enough. I don't notice much difference in the clippings and their dispersal. But the Gator G6's were cheaper, so that's a plus. I recently bought a mulch kit for my 60d MMM and am not happy with it at all. Currently it is sitting in the box in my garage. $360 with tax and if I use it, I will have to grind down the blades so much (1/4" off each end) to use it, I find it unacceptable. The directions say you might have to grind them, but 1/2" total per blade???? Now my MMM is older as I have a 1026R, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think you're making the right choice and just trying the Gator blades first.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This is my second season using JD Predator blades and I love them. No mulching kit, just a piece of sheet metal covering the discharge opening. If you don't let the grass get too high and use a slow ground speed you won't even see the clippings. Does the same with leaves...gone! I'm thinking the blades cut the grass, circulate it through the deck to be re-cut and then re-cut a few more times. Bob

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
I switched from my original blades to Gator G6 blades last year and like them well enough. I don't notice much difference in the clippings and their dispersal. But the Gator G6's were cheaper, so that's a plus. I recently bought a mulch kit for my 60d MMM and am not happy with it at all. Currently it is sitting in the box in my garage. $360 with tax and if I use it, I will have to grind down the blades so much (1/4" off each end) to use it, I find it unacceptable. The directions say you might have to grind them, but 1/2" total per blade???? Now my MMM is older as I have a 1026R, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think you're making the right choice and just trying the Gator blades first.
I'd have to look again at the installation instructions CP but for now I can say that I honestly don't remember seeing anything about that, nor was there an issue with fitment. That's too bad though, it truly does a very good job.

·
Corndog Hater
11,254 Posts
I'd have to look again at the installation instructions CP but for now I can say that I honestly don't remember seeing anything about that, nor was there an issue with fitment. That's too bad though, it truly does a very good job.
I’ll have to look, but it was the last step in installation and it seemed like it was portrayed as only possibly being an issue, well for me it’s a huge issue.

My solution is to just buy an X730 with MulchControl.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
I find that totally unacceptable for a Deere product. Back to the dealer for a refund.

I mean, come on - that's ridiculous!

·
Corndog Hater
11,254 Posts
Ok so Pat spurred me on to look at the book again. He’s right (don’t let it go to your head), no mention of grinding them down. I believe I read here in another thread about someone having to take a tiny bit off.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Ok so Pat spurred me on to look at the book again. He’s right (don’t let it go to your head), no mention of grinding them down. I believe I read here in another thread about someone having to take a tiny bit off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts