Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time deciding what blades to buy for next year for the 60" deck on my 445. I have taken off my tri-cycling kit for the past two years due to the issues I was having with the gator blades not doing so great with tall grass and turning. Even without the mulcher, the gator blades do not pick up my grass well enough on turns.:nunu:

Part of me wants to go back to mulching and use the correct JD blade. If I had a few more ponies under the hood I would not question it. Sometimes with the mulcher on, I have to slow to a crawl in tall grass. At least I did with Gator blades and the mulcher.

Its been a while since I ran high lift JD blades. Any suggestions?

I am also thinking of spraying the mulching kit and deck to keep some of the grass off the bottom of the deck.... Fluid Film or?

Thanks guys!:good2:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
I ordered the mulching plug and a set of blades for this purpose with the new mower to use on my lawn. It will be interesting to see how well this works with more frequent mowing. My hope is that with frequent mowing I can eliminate any clumps of grass left behind the mower. I should add that mulching makes alot more sense to me than collection as we need all the nutrients we can get.

It will be interesting to see how others feel about these blades

How about Pam, seems it would be cheaper than fluid film?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pam.. Interesting.. Fluid Film might be the same way, never used it, but I do not think Pam dries? The grass would stick to it? I have no clue, but my deck is older and the paint has wore off in some areas. I think a good powder coat might help?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Powder coating would certainly help with longevity of the sheetmetal. Really what you want is a surfactant, something to reduce surface tension. A smooth finish in powdercoat is what would work the best. Just depends on how far you want to take it. I can see all of us out there waxing under our mower decks after each use.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My stuff is not new Steve and the rusting portions really work to hold more grass and keep rusting. By no means am I trying to come up with a way to keep it perfect, but it does work better when mulching if your deck is clean!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've looked into this myself for my Commercial 72" Deck...Have all the blades being discussed "in stock" LOL

Started out with the normal high-lift blades...worked fine, but with my new yard, it was sucking rocks and acorns and sending them into another time zone..Mebbe now that I broom my yard and I actually have seasoned turf, might be ok to use em...

Got the Gatorblades shortly after...still have em on the deck..work fine...it accomplished what I wanted...and thats just not picking up foreign debris....cut quality is fine. Cant say they mulch though...what comes out of the discharge chute looks the same to me...windrowing is still a problem.

Bought the TriCycler kit...came with some special "Wavy Blades" and the the chute plug. From what I gather in the manual supplied...when using the chute plug you MUST use the wavy blades to actually do any mulching.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting a pic Dave, I assumed those blades were the high lift mulching blades. I see I am incorrect! I am just going to buy a new set of mulching blades (Daves wavy ones) and go for it this year.

If they don't work I will just blame Dave:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rather than pay to powdercoat my multching kit that bolts to the deck, might a light coat of black paint covered in clear coat do a good job for a season?

Unless...... I might PM randy and see how much he would charge. These should fit in an oven.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Rather than pay to powdercoat my multching kit that bolts to the deck, might a light coat of black paint covered in clear coat do a good job for a season?

Unless...... I might PM randy and see how much he would charge. These should fit in an oven.
What exactly does your mulching kit consist of? The one I got (if it werent stored I'd go snap some pics) for my72" consists of the chute plug #7 and some new baffles...Mine are painted and I dont see how powdercoating would help :think:

Dont blame me if it dont work...my Tricycler kit is still sitting in the box...:morning2:

·
Registered
430 Posts
My new mulching plug is plastic for the 749, one piece that fits in place, so it is easy to add or remove.

Now to the nitty gritty I hope it works.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is 3 or 4 pieces. It makes the deck flat on the bottom and removes some of its height internally. Mine is also painted, but its also starting with surface rust in most areas. My tractor is a 2003 so nothing under the deck is new! I will try to get it out sometime soon and take pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looks like I am coming late to this party. Here is my take. I run mulch kits on both the 62" and 72" decks. The 62" has plastic baffles and the 72" is exactly as Dave has shown. The kits come with the mulch blades again as Dave has shown. I have since put on Gator Blades.

The problem with mulch kits is everything is working against itself. The blades are trying to pick up the grass and the mulch baffles are kicking it back down. A lot going on there.

Next problem is as Brian has discribed, keeping things clean. Running over dirt and sand is the worst thing you can do. It is just like sandblasting the underside of your deck. I have found there is no good solution for this, it is just the nature of the beast. There is nothing that will stand up or last to this process. I even lined my mulch baffles on the 72" with stainless steel last summer. Took them off this fall.

Recommendation, use POR15 paint on a yearly basis. This stuff is as tuff as any powdercoat and you can do it yourself. It will wear of in the high wear areas. The ultimate solution is a stainless steel deck and baffles. Though the plastic ones are doing fine on the 62"

http://www.por15.com/

·
Registered
733 Posts
The problem with mulch kits is everything is working against itself. The blades are trying to pick up the grass and the mulch baffles are kicking it back down. A lot going on there.
So the mulching setups dont work? Thats kinda what I'm afraid of...and why I havent taken the time to install the kit...in a perfect world I'd find a rear discharge 72" for my F935 and sleep well at night.
:mocking:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So the mulching setups dont work? Thats kinda what I'm afraid of...and why I havent taken the time to install the kit...in a perfect world I'd find a rear discharge 72" for my F935 and sleep well at night.
:mocking:
They work to a degree, and could use some improvement. They work well enough that I have no intention to go back to side discharge. I did find that i get better lift with the Gators than the Deere mulch blades.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They work to a degree, and could use some improvement. They work well enough that I have no intention to go back to side discharge. I did find that i get better lift with the Gators than the Deere mulch blades.
:empathy3: And I am leaving Gators and going back to JD......

IMHO, JD mulching option works if you cut very frequently and never, never, never cut when its damp. Its also a PITA because if you do cut the grass when there is a touch of moisture, your deck fills with trimmings and it makes it harder on the tractor to make things work.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
IMHO, JD mulching option works if you cut very frequently and never, never, never cut when its damp.
You are 100 percent correct. This is the key to good mulching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts