Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 850d gator has some driveshaft issues, the one from the back to the front differential. New from Deere is $605 complete with no rebuild options that i can see from Deere. Does anyone know of any aftermarket options? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What kind of issues?

I don't know anything specific about Gator driveshafts, but from my Jeeping days, I do know that there are shops that can rebuild / repair / refurbish driveshafts. That can include replacing u-joints, straightening them, or changing the length. Google is probably your friend for finding a "driveline" shop in your area.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not sure if you are near the Cleveland area but years ago I used to lift my pickups and did some for friends.
I used to use a place called Custom Clutch, joint and Hydraulics. Good work, not too expensive.
I think they have a Columbus shop as well.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Funny you mention it. I just changed all the fluids in my 05 HPX today and noticed the ujoints in this same shaft have some play. It looked to me like the caps of the unjoint have a c clip on the inside of the yokes to replace them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
gator drive shaft

I had to replace the drive shaft on the HPX and learned the same lesson. What you might do is get the part number and call different dealers for price. Some dealers do not use full mark up. The farmers figure this out and have a first choice for parts supply. My brother will attest to this as he has one dealer 10 miles away and drives 25 for parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That driveshaft is CV joint not u-joint right?
I doubt there are any aftermarket.
Are you sure it's the joint and not the carrier bearing? I had a guy that thought he needed a driveshaft but it turned out a bearing was bad and making a lot of noise. Those bearings are a lot cheaper.
Edit; Looks like this does have U-joints not CV. You can take the u-joints out match them up at a dealer or find them by spec online.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Good deal, can even have them give it a balance if you want.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
It is one cv joint and both bearings, my NAPA guy can get the bearings. And I was going to stop at custom clutch Monday when I'm in Columbus, they used to have one 20 minutes from me in Mansfield but closed that one a few years ago.
Mine is 1 carrier and u-joint between the tunnel and rear end and then a carrier and u-joint in the tunnel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is 1 carrier and u-joint between the tunnel and rear end and then a carrier and u-joint in the tunnel.
Yep, that's how mine is too, I meant to say that my problems were two bearings and one of the joints.
I think I'll have time this afternoon to tear into it more, I just haven't had much luck in the past separating these CVs. I wonder if they are rhe same size that are in the axle shafts, I kept a couple of the good ones when I replaced them...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Well the driveshaft wasn't as bad as I thought, just took off the boots and cleaned the joints, regreased and new boots, and both bearings, $240. But while I had it on the lift, I found that it needed front wheel bearings and some bushings on the rear suspension, another chunk of change. Also did glow plugs, which I will start another post about...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts