Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone knows if a gator 550 will fit in the back of a dodge shortbed with tailgate down. I am picking one up 200 miles from home here in Alaska and pulling my trailer will be incovinent as I need to stay in town (Anchorage) for a while when I get there. Thank your help.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I know that a Gator 850D will fit in the back of a long bed, but width wise, it only has 1/4" on each side and it will push in on the fenders. You can see if the 550 has a 2 foot shorter wheelbase, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping someone knows if a gator 550 will fit in the back of a dodge shortbed with tailgate down. I am picking one up 200 miles from home here in Alaska and pulling my trailer will be incovinent as I need to stay in town (Anchorage) for a while when I get there. Thank your help.
Thanks for the comment. Does the tailgate close on the longbed ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've hauled a 4x2 in my short bed a couple times. It's really tight but it actually loads and unloads really easily if you have a good set of ramps. It's a lot easier than using a trailer and I prefer to haul this way for any distance.

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

The 550 will probably sit back further with the rear tires fully on the tailgate. The 4x2 doesn't have a front bumper, you can drive the front tires right up to the front of the bed. I hauled my Ranger home 100 miles in the same truck, when I got home the pins for the tailgate straps were bent down from the weight on the tailgate. Still easier than trailering, but I'd take precautions to prevent the tailgate from sagging, run a couple straps from the gate up to the rear stake pockets for added support.

IMAG0212.jpg

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Interceptor:

Nice greyhound. They are great dogs.

Don

·
Registered
346 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention, be careful of the rear window when loading. I almost put the bumper of the Ranger through the truck window when the front tires came down off the wheel well humps. It pushed the front of the bed into the cab. I never had a problem with the old Gator because the tires stick out so far.

Don, If we could get her to stop licking in the middle of the night she'd be the best dog ever. We've just started letting her off leash at home. She likes to run but we're afraid she'll spot a rabbit or cat and get into trouble. She's tangled with cats before and the cats normally come out with less injury.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Interceptor:
The female greyhound that we have now likes to lick the sofa cushions, which is where she spends most of her time. We have had three males who did not lick. The only time our hounds get outside off the leash is in a fenced in yard at the end of our house. The three males we had got out a couple times and catching them is very difficult.

Greyhounds seem very appreciative to have a home.
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts