Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a set of high lift blades for my 2720/62D mower combo. Couldn't find any other replacement blades other than Oregon's Gator blades. I was very skeptical but decided to give them a try when I got them for $15 each.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370919541.890862.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370919554.456907.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370919566.889979.jpg

I'm sold!! These things are great! The clippings are much smaller, disperse way more evenly (almost can't see them!), and they cut fantastically. I was able to go faster as the deck wasn't "laying the grass down." These blades took my B+ mower to an A+. It's now cutting as good as any other mower I've run in my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was wondering if anyone had tried them on the 62D on a 2720. May have to give them a shot when time to replace my blades! :thumbup1gif:

Thanks for the "review"!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Same here, good replacement blade. I'm running them on a 72D and ran them on my old 60" deck for several years. I feel the hard surface coating does help a little to keep that corner from wearing quite so quickly.

·
Super Moderator
5,583 Posts
Jason,glad you like them.:thumbup1gif: They are an awesome blade. I've been using them ever since I got my 2520. An unbelievably durable blade too. The set that's on right now is two years old. I'm getting ready to replace them. I know I'll get some flak but I don't believe in sharpening.:flag_of_truce: I'll post a couple pics.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
FWIW, remove the powder coat paint in the area of contact at the spindle and bolt washer side. The coating can degrade and cause a new blade to slip. JD blades are nekkid from the factory but Gators are not.

·
Super Moderator
5,583 Posts
So far I've never had a problem with the coating coming off around the spindle area. Seems like really tough stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,583 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Jason,glad you like them.:thumbup1gif: They are an awesome blade. I've been using them ever since I got my 2520. An unbelievably durable blade too. The set that's on right now is two years old. I'm getting ready to replace them. I know I'll get some flak but I don't believe in sharpening.:flag_of_truce: I'll post a couple pics.
Makes two of us. Just sayin!
Every time you sharpen a blade it gets that much shorter and I also figured it was way safer to just replace every two years.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Giz ....your supposed to sharpen the front of the blade... Not the end
:lol::lol: Yeah maybe so but the edge lasts forever. Pretty smart aye? Us New Yorkers have it all over you Texans.:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just installed gators and did my first cut just yesterday. There was no way I wasn't going to sharpen them, the edges were so rounded i wasnt sure how they could cut anything.

My stripes have never been more pronounced. Funny thing my neighbor even stopped me backing out the garage and inquired what I'm doing differently.

Great blade, combined with my mulching kit equals the best cut all season.:bye2:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It seems to me that I don't get enough lift with my mulching kit on my 54D mower. I had Gator blades on my old lawn tractor and really liked them. So, I am reading here that maybe you get more lift with the Gator's???????

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
:lol::lol: Yeah maybe so but the edge lasts forever. Pretty smart aye? Us New Yorkers have it all over you Texans.:lol:
New Yorkers have to rely on sharp knives Texans don't.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems to me that I don't get enough lift with my mulching kit on my 54D mower. I had Gator blades on my old lawn tractor and really liked them. So, I am reading here that maybe you get more lift with the Gator's???????

Dave
I would venture to say the Gator's have more lift than mulching blades but less than the factory standard blades. I'm happy with mine.:drinks:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The height you mow and the type of grass (thick or wispy) makes a world of difference on blade "lift". I believe the serrated back edges of the Gators don't lift as much, however they do keep the clippings under the deck longer for some extra reduction in size.

My 48C will cut like a carpet @ 2" OEM or Gators, but it starts getting raggedy over about 2.75" (indicated) on my variable thick to wispy bluegrass clover plantain chickweed "faux lawn grass". I don't believe these decks like too much air coming in around the edges all that well and height kills the cut in thin grass because the grass doesn't "seal" around the front of the deck as well.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
The height you mow and the type of grass (thick or wispy) makes a world of difference on blade "lift". I believe the serrated back edges of the Gators don't lift as much, however they do keep the clippings under the deck longer for some extra reduction in size.

My 48C will cut like a carpet @ 2" OEM or Gators, but it starts getting raggedy over about 2.75" (indicated) on my variable thick to wispy bluegrass clover plantain chickweed "faux lawn grass". I don't believe these decks like too much air coming in around the edges all that well and height kills the cut in thin grass because the grass doesn't "seal" around the front of the deck as well.
I don't like the Gator Blades. The wife never cuts shorter than 3" and as a rule, lawn at 3.5", pasture at 4" and at that height I think you lose too much suction for lift.

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mow at 3 -3 1/2" and they work great for me. :bye2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts