Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the Gator owners.
Do Gators have title paper work (like a pink slip for a car) to show ownership?
There is nothing like that for my tractor and don't know if the off-road Gators are the same.
The question came up in regards to buying a used one and wondering if it's really owned by the person selling it.

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
In 2005 Gators did not but I think they do now, not sure when it started.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
At least in Kentucky, there isn't a title or a certificate of origin.

The only thing I got was a bill of sale from the dealer.

Purchase in 2017

·
Registered
406 Posts
Deere issues a Manufactures Statement of Origin or MSO when sold new.

Depending on your state which you reside, you may or may not be able to title the Gator. It is my understanding titling is generally required if you plan on licensing the Gator for on road use.

In my state-Wyoming I have titled and registered my Gator for on road use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a recently purchased new Mule, and the dealer gave me a choice of an MSO or a title. The title involved a $90 fee to the state, but the dealer recommended a title. The reasons were that if I were to sell it, a title would be a transferable proof of ownership. And, a title transfer is preferred by most prospective buyers over an MSO or just a bill of sale, also said the dealer’s sales manager.

Another point the dealer made relates to theft. In states that require a title, a stolen UTV is harder for a thief to sell because the buyer expects a legal title, which the rightful owner still has. So titles seem to be a theft deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
Just to add on to bhill's comment above, some states also require that ATVs?UTVs be titled even for off-road use.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Maine doesn’t actually title ATV’s or tractors, but there is a pseudo-title they will create for financing. The document becomes null and void when the loan is paid off. (That’s how my bank described it)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It might depend on the state. Here in Wisconsin gators are considered utvs. Al utv’s and atvs must be registered with the state even for private use. Private and ag use is a one time fee. Public use needs to be renewed every few years. Either way you get a card along with stickers from the state. The registration card is the title.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
It all just depends on how your state collects revenue.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I don't have a gator but I was looking into purchasing one a few years ago. At that time, PA looks at Gators in two worlds. Some are looked at as farm equipment and some are looked at as recreational vehicles. Those that are deemed farm equipment do not need to be registered so having a title was not required. Those that are looked at as recreational vehicles must be titled, registered and licensed.

Of course PA is the land of creative taxation so I would say this is something that is dictated by each state!!

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
It might depend on the state. Here in Wisconsin gators are considered utvs. Al utv’s and atvs must be registered with the state even for private use. Private and ag use is a one time fee. Public use needs to be renewed every few years. Either way you get a card along with stickers from the state. The registration card is the title.
We do have to register them, but registration and having a title are two different things.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
We do have to register them, but registration and having a title are two different things.
The registration card is the title. Same as a boat or snowmobile. Not exactly the same as a car. But that’s federal, and handled by the state. utvs, boats, and snowmobiles are handle by the state DNR. My tractor came with nothing other than a bill of sale.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
The registration card is the title. Same as a boat or snowmobile. Not exactly the same as a car. But that’s federal, and handled by the state. utvs, boats, and snowmobiles are handle by the state DNR. My tractor came with nothing other than a bill of sale.
Not in Maine, it may be that your state has two purposes for one document, but that’s a state choice, and the purposes are still separate.

A title is proof of ownership, a registration is a permit for use.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
There are no Federal laws pertaining to titling or registering a motor vehicle. These laws are all controlled by individual States.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Bought a new gator in 2016 (since traded) and there was no title in Delaware, and no registration required in Maryland. Gators are considered ag equipment in Maryland and are specifically exempt from ATV permits as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
only if it has lights,turn signals, brake lights,wipers, street tires, from the factory, in order for it to be street legal, then it would come with a title, if you purchase a dirt bike that is not a street scrambler, then it is not titled either.. a bill of sale only if it is not street legal from the factory.. but thats in Florida..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts