Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a letter from Deere today regarding our Gator which states:

Problem: The steering shaft has the potential to separate from the steering rack assembly. If this occurs, it may result in a loss of vehicle steering control.

John Deere has received reports of 9 incidents with 0 injuries.

Product: The recall involves certain John Deere XUV825, XUV825 S4, XUV855 and XUV855 S4 Crossover Gator Utility Vehicles with power steering sold from March 2012 though November 2017.

What to do: Stop using your utility vehicle and contact your local authorized John Deere dealer for a free repair.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just read my letter.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,629 Posts
Thanks rod330 :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've done over a dozen recalls so far. No steering rack failures only inspection and adding the bracket. Might take a few days to get the parts in. Only about a 20 min job unless you have a front winch setup. Then maybe about 5 extra minutes to access the bolts. Deere pays us .5 labor for inspection and bracket install.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My recall was done today. They came to my house to do it. It took the service man about 15 minutes to complete. It took longer to remove parts to provide access to the power steering than it does to install the bracket. He folded down the grill guard, removed the hood, grill, radiator support bracket & storage tray.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My recall was done today. They came to my house to do it. It took the service man about 15 minutes to complete. It took longer to remove parts to provide access to the power steering than it does to install the bracket. He folded down the grill guard, removed the hood, grill, radiator support bracket & storage tray.
I've been dreading the idea of hitching up the utility trailer to take our Gator to the dealer in the middle of the winter- especially knowing I'll have to repeat that process to pick it up in a few days. May I ask how much your dealer charged to perform the recall service at your place?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've been dreading the idea of hitching up the utility trailer to take our Gator to the dealer in the middle of the winter- especially knowing I'll have to repeat that process to pick it up in a few days. May I ask how much your dealer charged to perform the recall service at your place?
Thanks
There will be no charge. Deere is paying the labor and travel. The dealer can also do a free pick up and delivery. I would make sure the kit is in stock before hand.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I didn’t get power steering on mine so guess don’t have to take it in. Been thinking about adding it though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn’t get power steering on mine so guess don’t have to take it in. Been thinking about adding it though.
I had the dealer install a PS kit for our older 850D and it made a night and day difference. It was expensive but worth every penny. I'd never buy a utility / ATV vehicle without PS.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks
The service call was at no charge to me.
I was expecting to take the Gator in for the repair, when I contacted my dealer about the recall. I was very surprised when they told me that they were doing service calls for the repair.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I had the dealer install a PS kit for our older 850D and it made a night and day difference. It was expensive but worth every penny. I'd never buy a utility / ATV vehicle without PS.
Yea I won’t buy anything again without it. My buddy bought a new Polaris ATV with it and is amazing how easy it steers. Might bite the bullet this spring and have it put on. I know the wife will love it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Just a quick note. The OEM Deere power steering kit is only a factory installed option. However.. There are aftermarket kits available. Just so ya know if PS is installed after the fact, it wont be a Deere unit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick note. The OEM Deere power steering kit is only a factory installed option. However.. There are aftermarket kits available. Just so ya know if PS is installed after the fact, it wont be a Deere unit.

Yes, my Deere dealer recommended a kit from "EZ Steer". Parts were $600 and labor to install was $300. I conducted some research beforehand and noticed there were many positive EZ Steer reviews.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, my Deere dealer recommended a kit from "EZ Steer". Parts were $600 and labor to install was $300. I conducted some research beforehand and noticed there were many positive EZ Steer reviews.
I have a EZ Steer installed on my 825. The install can be done by anyone with the ability to work with hand tools.

For me the most difficult procedure was removing the steering wheel for which you need a puller tool. The puller set I have is really crappy, so if you attempt this install have a good set of pullers on hand.

The EZ Steer component has operated flawlessly over the last two years, since I installed it on my Gator.

Super ATV is a great vendor to buy the kit from, generally there are discounts that you can apply towards the purchase at check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts