Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there - new member with my first question.

Our 3 year old petrol gator is away for repair and our new diesel gator arrived Saturday.

It's at work on a Nature Reserve, so all sorts of jobs come it's way, but the main one is carrying passengers for guided tours. They last an hour, we run up to 5 per day, and they are full of starts and stops for wildlife and general information segments.

So, the petrol one was far too noisy to talk over - especially for the 2 guys in the back (4 seater) - the diesel one may not be (the jury is still out) so my question is about our previous stop/start method which was probably why it wasn't overly reliable. It worked hard but maybe had 40-50 stop/starts in a day.

With the new diesel - which is better for the engine/gator - leaving in idling or switching it off and on? And if I leave it on the hours run will go up and it will need more servicing & diesel so more expensive?

Hope that makes sense :lolol:

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
If your stop is less than 5-10 minutes, leave it running, unless the noise is bother some ( the customer comes first) :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your stop is less than 5-10 minutes, leave it running, unless the noise is bother some ( the customer comes first) :flag_of_truce:
Thanks Zebrafive, I'd love a few more opinions and any recommendations for a newbie diesel driver. vs the petrol it's so slow up hill and the same downhill - it's as if a limiter kicks in and even on a steep hill you don't need the brakes - could almost walk faster. Is this normal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts