Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a old Auto Specialities gear box on a 4 1/2 foot pull behind mower made in the 40s and 50s. My Dad worked at Clark Equipment for over 30 years and he took the original blades off and made blades 1 1/2 inches thick. If you could back over the tree it would destroy any tree. The gear box is full of grease not oil. HE pulled it with a 8n and it wold drive the tractor just with the kinetic energy that the blades make by spinning. Nothing would hurt the gear box, Sure do not make them like that any longer

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Wow, 1-1/2 thick blades? That must be a monster!

Sure do not make them like that any longer
Nope, they sure don't!

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gear box

Kenny

The original blades were your standard 3/8 But my Dad being the inventor he decided to take the stock that Clark's had for the cutting edges for their large front end loader. He used that and the guys in the shop machined the blade out or it. The shaft is a 3 inch, the bar that the blades mount on was revised to a piece of steel that is 3 inch thick and 20 inches long. The blades swing off of it. Believe it or not it even cuts grass nicely. I know NOT a safety item on it Take almost 3 minutes to stop spinning if left alone after disengaging the pto on the tractor

·
Registered
21 Posts
HE pulled it with a 8n and it wold drive the tractor just with the kinetic energy that the blades make by spinning. Nothing would hurt the gear box, S

There have been many N series gearboxes severely damaged by such actions. For safety and protection of equipment, I hope he is no longer using that set up or procedure. Any transmission driven PTO should definitely have an overrun coupler between the PTO and PTO shaft.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Transmission driven PTOs without overrunning clutches have killed many farmers......

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gear box

I agree 1000%

I had a over running clutch when I used it I remember him running it up a small tree. He passed away a few years ago. I just wanted you to see a real gear box not like the crap today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts