Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 480 more hours to put on my mower deck until the first oil change, but since I put it up vertically on wheels for the winter it leaked quite a bit before I got it plugged so I'm assuming I may have to top off the gear box in the spring. The manual only says:
Gear Oil
Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.
John Deere GL-5 Gear Lubricant is recommended.
Other oils may be used if they meet one or more of the following:
• API Service Classification GL-5.
• Military Specification MIL-L-2105D.
• Military Specification MIL-L-2105C.
• Military Specification MIL-L-2105B.
Oils meeting Military Specification MIL-L-10324A may be used as arctic oils.
The manual for my 1025R has similar verbage but also has an accompanying chart of oil weight vs temperature range. I'm wondering if I can use the same 80W-90 gear oil I have for my snow blower. I was thinking probably not considering the differing temperatures winter/summer and different PTO speeds of the attachments. I found this chart that makes it seem like mid summer mowing would be pushing it for 80W-90 but I might be okay if I'm just topping off and not doing a full oil change.

This also makes me wonder about the tractor itself. I won't put enough hours a year on it change the oil more than once a year or so according to the maintenance intervals so where should my bias be for choosing oil weight considering that here in Iowa I may be moving snow when it is below 0 and mowing when it is over 100.

·
Administrator
18,802 Posts
The 80-90w would work great, its not picky. I would not wait till 500 hours either!

Reactions: Bill56 and mjarmstr

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I changed the gear lube after the first year in both my 62 and 72 inch decks. I use Mobil 1.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I'd have to check the bottle in the garage to be sure, but the John Deere GL5 the book recommends is 80W-90. The 60" deck uses the same. My gearbox was low when I got the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts